It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age UK: 50,000 elderly in England have died waiting for social care package

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Funny indeed mate.

Just not funny ha'ha i suppose.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Don't know how I missed that story.

Surely someone should be held accountable?

I am literally lost for words.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think they refunded the money they extorted from him.

So it's all good in the Gooberments sick twisted obscure eyes.

Probably helped pay for his funeral six to nine months down the line i suppose.

He's not the only one Freeborn, not by a long shot.

National Insurance my left arse cheek.
edit on 25-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I would guess we've all got examples of how austerity has adversely affected people....I know I could relate quite a few awful instances, but what's the point? People just seem to say they must be isolated cases or that we're leftist, commie bastards.

As a slight aside I noticed the first thing Johnson said when announcing his intention to run for leader of The Tory Party was that he would be reducing tax rates for medium-high earners and would be paying for it by increasing everyone's National Insurance contributions.

I always thought National Insurance was a tax charge to help fund state benefits; effectively an insurance to pay for one's pension etc.
Apparently it will now be used to fund tax cuts for the relatively well-off.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Bluntone22

Any time the banks control the government, they screw it every which way from Sunday.

It's not governments that are evil, but they are playing Checkers, whilst the people and corporations with the real money and power, are playing Chess.

Face it - people are evil. Governments are people. Ergo, governments are as evil as any other institution comprised of people. Stop persisting in your fairy-tale delusion that somehow the government is working your best interests but all other institutions of man are the exclusive playgrounds of evil. Last time I checked, there was no vetting capable of weeding out the evil from the government, especially not the bureaucracies where people are appointed and hired just like they are in the private sector.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

What's the point indeed?

When you start thinking like that through, it's the beginning of the end.
edit on 25-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Evil equates to imbalance and a society out of kilter.

People are not evil per-say, but they do require a paradigm shift the likes of which we have yet to witness, so as to come together and address the larger issues we face as a race.

How we do so is the ticket, needs to be for the correct reasons and not "There" reasoning nor agenda.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Austerity has been nothing but the pursuit of a political ideology rather than a financial necessity and as a direct result millions have suffered....all whilst the most wealthy in the UK are getting richer and richer.

Ain't THAT the truth. And it's real, not a myth, happening right underneath our noses - a scandal that be will looked upon in hindsight years later with a high degree of shame, anger and an avalanche of potential court proceedings. A friend of mine (the 'personal touch' naturally inflames anger rather than a condescending "so what?" response) is suffering badly from an ideology that's happening NOW...

... at the same time as a blond, incompetent, dithering Tory womble who doesn't know his arse from his elbow seems ready to invade Number Ten with inevitable Inspector Clouseau consequences.

Perhaps Brits should follow UFO man Nick Pope's example and flee to the USA?

Which reminds me - back to the UFO/Aliens forum I go - a bit too noisy around here.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It sounds like the care package is something like home health. So they had 50000 people die since they introduced the green paper about two years ago to get considered to fund the home health. Is this correct?

The article does not say, that lack of this proposed care led to any of these deaths. Would the care have helped? I guess there is no mention of how many it would have helped that have died. Home health is a good program around here, it helps a lot of people. They were prescribing a lot of extra services with the home health, but I guess there were some cutbacks and not enough evidence to show that many of the therapies they were doing at homes were actually helping I suppose. But now it is easier to get help with essentials, I suppose the not really needed therapies robbed money from essential services or something. There was a lot of unnecessary procedures going on I suppose and medicare started to say no to some if there was not going to be a benefit.

Sounds like the article reallly says nothing about if the lack of the home health is actually leading to people's death. If the medical professionals don't abuse this system it could be a good system, being that the UKs healthsystem is social care, there may not be as much abuse of the system.

Yeah, leaving a lot of refugees into the country is lessening the money for the healthcare program. It would be cheaper for the nations to set up temporary campers for these refugees to live in in a section of a country they came from. It would be easy to just have a security force there to make sure that they are safe. They do not have to spread these people all over the world, that is kind of crazy. But then again, we know some of the leaders of the countries have too close bred blood lines that make them a little nuts.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Don't know how I missed that story.

Surely someone should be held accountable?

I am literally lost for words.

It's disturbingly common. Over 10,000 have died within six months of being found 'fit for work' in the last decade.

The UN has declared a damning assessment of the UK saying we're one a handful of nations on Earth denying disabled people the right to life.

The Tories said they found the report laughable and bears no resemblance to what they think the UK is like.

There hasn't been a Minister for Disabled People in the UK for several months now. The government said they're not going to replace them until after Brexit is all done and dusted, despite the rest of the cabinet and PM playing musical chairs and the removal of all rights and protections that have come from the ECHR

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

So, in essence, 77 Pensioners die every day in the UK?

This is a wonderful twisting of statistics to prove whatever you want.

You could equally say 54'000 pensioners have died waiting for the beer tap to be added to their homes.....

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Might not need a Minister for Disabled after any hard Brexit because they won't be any "Disabled People" left in the UK just the "Employment Changed" fellows.

You know the type, your basic run of the mill quadriplegic, deaf, blind, cancer sufferer, that refuses to get off there arse and seek zero-hour contract minimum wage Monkey work.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

How many of those 77 Pensioners live in abject poverty, that canny afford to heat their homes or feed themselves appropriately, or will be forced to have to sell the homes to facilitate the cost there care packages and care homes, and have had their pensions essentially stolen or removed by the government?

Quite a few is my guess.

We treat our old like the crap we step in on a hot day over here.

Fact is it's diabolical, considering its most of the poor old souls that voted Tory in the first place.

edit on 26-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

We treat our old like the crap we step in on a hot day.

Don't disagree with that statement at all. However, the simple truth is that we, as a nation, cannot afford the care package that we believe we should roll out to all.

Families often pass on responsibility to others, expecting the government to "do their bit" without "doing their own bit" first. Did you ever see the Donal MacIntyre thing ages ago where he went to stay with a tribe in Papua and then 1 of them came back to stay with him? The Papua tribal guy was absolutely appalled at how we treated our elderly - including with Donal for putting his mum in a Care Home.......

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

So what's the point in the poor old souls paying tax and national insurance all there days if when the time comes when they need the help and NHS they are forced to pay or sell their homes anyway?

I watched them do it, to a fashion, to my granny and grandfather mate, it's not pretty, it's not clever, what it is, is beyond contempt!

2 people who worked from the age of 14 and 12 respectively all the days of there life and lived/fought through a world war ta boot.

It's not them that went senile Flavian, it's the entire UK.

edit on 26-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Fairplay and although it matters for nought, i respect your adjustment, I can only provide a star and flag, I hope you will inform me when any of my biases show up

Regarding how we deal with health in the UK, we have opted for state healthcare, which like private health care is not perfect but it should and we demand it looks after people who can not look after themselves, but it all boils down to money, my opinion on the NHS is the money should be ringfenced from the dirty politicians on both sides, as they merely use it as a political tool to garner votes.

Have a medical panel oversee the funding of the NHS with last years spending being how much next years budget will be with an adjustment in line with inflation, keep the politicians of our NHS. the current NHS is being stretched to thin and some appointments to patients feel more like a box ticking excercise rather than medical advice.

The people of the NHS are what makes it special, from the nursing staff, to the auxillary staff they have the patients interest at heart beyond that though and its in the lap of postcode lottery for access to certain treatments.

I am of the mind pensioners should be a priorty as they have paid into the system, the same with free TV license or free bus pass, if we cant look after the elderly what does that say about your socitety in general, one thing is for sure, we all getting older by the day.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Our ageing population in the UK is going to cost more and more and it is a problem that can't be kicked down the road indefinitely. It will have to be paid for by taxpayers and the cost will be huge. Blaming the Tories for this is missing the point and playing the blame game.

We don't have a magic money tree.

The BBC dumping free TV licences for the elderly is disgusting. The amount BBC pay their "stars" is completely outrageous.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Whats a TV licence?

I love those twats, they are such fun to screw with when you can be bothered, Capita scum that they are. LoL

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Your'e a very naughty boy!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Of course many, even perhaps most, of these people who died without having a free care package was in place, would have died anyway

Speaking as one whose elderly father is currently in a free nursing home, getting free respite care, due in part to the fact that he did not get the much cheaper free care package he probably needed ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join