It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was Jesus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Like I recently posted one of the biggest question marks is who was Jesus, and of what significance is he to us and history?

I have heard all kinds of Christians tell me he is our Savior and I need him or else I am condemned so I hope I do not got many replies with that message. I just want to know who was this guy, he certainly was someone special since 2000 years later billions bow down and worship daily, is it really possibly he was the one the New Testiment says he was?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nothing really special if age is the measurement, his worship is only in its middle age. For over 5,000 years a guy known progressively as Khnum/Atum/Ra/Aten and his sons Osiris, Seth and Horus, along with his daughters Isis and Nephthys were idolized (no pun intended).

But your question has been hased and rehashed, just go into the religious conspiracies forum for the threads.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Before this thread gets moved or deleted, my opinion for you:

Jesus was a groovy guy, who lived a long time ago (or didn't). He gave some good advice (or people said he did). He gave some bad advice (or people said he did). In the end he told you to figure it out for yourself (but that book got supressed).

A bit of trivia, he could have been a sort of Frankenstein mythological creature, made from different pieces of successful stories from antiquity. Osiris is a good example, but there are literally dozens more. Check it out, think for yourself. God is everywhere. He's even you.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have found a few that are somewhat similar to this thread but none ask directly who was Jesus, so hopefully this thread wont get deleted. As a member of this site for about a year and a half I dont need someone to tell me to look at previous posts, I just want to get insight to what other people think about the aura surrounding Jesus.

I had a profesor that paralelled Socrates and Jesus quite well. Both had 12 followers, both never wrote their own material the stuff we know about them is from other peoples writings, and both were tried and sentenced to death over frivilous charges, I think there is a few more that I dont remember right now.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
In my opinion without any scholarly research I'd say Jesus was a hippie. Jesus was an Einstein in progressive ideas for his time. His ideas, actions, and words are skewered to fit a designated purpose. A better question to find out about Jesus would be to ask, "Why is the Catholic church so secretive? The catholic state (Vatican) has wielded a lot of influence since the days of Charlemagne, strange...."

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think Jesus was a krunk guy with some ideas that must have been out there at the time. I also think he was black. I wonder why mainstream Christianity refuses to acknowledge this, though...ah well, I'm no longer Christian so it's not a big deal.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ive heard many people say Jesus was like a hippie so i guess thats an almost universal opinion. It is a shame that the Catholic churches made so many changes to the gospel and all kinds of other shady stuff they've done it secret. It kind of takes away from who he was if he is the Messiah. I want this thread to be about Jesus not the catholic church so i that question may only be better for getting responses.

I like his parables Ive read and wish I could find more, also I am leaning to the idea that he was married had children and tehir existance had to be secretive for their protection and they possess the "Holy Bloodline" that may be the holy grail that so many have been looking for in the past.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

It is a shame that the Catholic churches made so many changes to the gospel and all kinds of other shady stuff they've done it secret. It kind of takes away from who he was if he is the Messiah.

including twist the word messiah to fit their purpose.

I believe he was a great teacher, probably of the davidic royal line, and
possibly a priest of an isian/osirian mystery school. I also think that there is a high probability that he was trying to reintroduce the sacred feminine into temple worship.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
not really sure how to answer this question. If you mean who is he, what did he preach, eccetera then i just say read the Gospels, it is obvious who he is and what he believes.

I will tell you what he believed
-He was a Jew so he believed in One true God
-He believed in love for everyone
-He believed in treating others kindly no matter what they do to you
-He believed in helping people
-He didn't believe in harming others
-He helped those that others wouldn't dare to help

Overall, he was an INCREDIBLE Guy, regardless if you believe he was God/The Messiah/The Son of God/Prophet/Man.

Now, if you are asking who is Jesus really, beyond what is written in text, then ask him! But i think that isn't what you wanted to hear.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Who was Jesus?

Mary's kid. Why?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I never read the Bible - just picked up bits & pieces through osmossis through out my life. But even if I had read it cover to cover, all that would tell me is that some people wrote some stuff that they believed. So, O.K., maybe it's true, maybe it's not.

I bet though, that Jesus was probably just a regular guy. He must have made enough of an impression on someone, though. He was probably like most people. He was good and caring, tried to help others. Then he could probably be an asshole. Probably pissed some people off. Others probably didn't even know of or care about his existence.

You know how you can hear a little anectdote when you were a kid, then tell it over and over through the years, each time, probably without even realizing it, the annectdote slowly becomes a long, riveting story, with a new twist or turn each time it's told?

Well, maybe the Bible started out as someone's personal diary. Someone found it, thought it was a story, and embellished on it. And so on and so on.

Or, maybe not. I really have no clue, nor any business trying to answer a question like that. It is an age old question, and as far as I know, no one truly knows the answer. Some dedicated Christians might declare that they know, but really - how can they?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Jesus was a Jew and a man that worked the earth. He might of been African(East African) if he wasnt he was an Arab and if he wasnt an Arab he would be Indian. I like to think of him as being Indian because I do beleive that he traveled to India and got enlightened by monks(one of the 12 tribes of Isreal resides in India).

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This is a pretty interesting thread, and just like LadyV's other "Jews, Christianity & The Bible" thread full of highly opinionated, nonetheless interesting stories. Do keep in mind that your stories become facts when your audience accepts them as such, and presents them as a factual account when they're asked.

I do appreciate that some of you admit the opinionated nature of your response, though I'm sure the author of the thread, as well as this thread's audience would much more appreciate more objectivity and you actually substantiating your claims: if you don't label your response as an opinion.

Now on the topic: According to the Bible: Jesus claimed he was the Son of God and claimed he was a Deity ( Decent discussion @ www.tektonics.org... ), claimed he was the Messiah prophesized in the Old Testament, or the last 'sacrificed Lamb' - claiming to be the Only way to God. There's some more information on this topic here: www.saved.com...

Besides that, you can learn a lot about the 'human' Character of Jesus through the Bible: i.e. Jesus weeps, gets angry, feels joy.

The skeptic is probably dismissing the information in the links above as 'biased' since they are for pro-Jesus web sites. However please keep in mind that I am not asking you to accept these claims: I am asking you to verify that the scriptures used as sources in the above links, would lead you to the same conclusions as the ones presented in the links above.

Finally, the question arises: why should you trust the Bible's depiction of Jesus? The answer to this holds just as much merit as that question: "Why should you not trust the Bible's depiction of Jesus?" Before you answer this, please verify that the sources you site are more credible & accepted as the Bible itself! But that's another thread.
And no, I wont give you the benefit of the doubt; you will have to earn it ( www.tektonics.org... )

serge

PS: I do believe Jesus' claims

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Jesus was a radical Jew who was fed up with the corruption in the Temple. He sought to bring Judaism back to it's roots. He never sought to found a new religion - I believe the idea would have been abhorent to him. He wanted to reform Judaism and rescue it from the money-grubbing, power-hungry priests/rabbinet that were so in bed with the Romans at the time - both for profit and from fear.

This is an interesting paralell that I've been studying and thinking about because the Vatican basically became the very thing that Jesus fought so hard against.

Now, we see the Protestants (especially in the USA) who, after having broken with the Vatican for many of these same reasons, have founded massive organizations just like the previous two. The new Sanhedrans?

It seems that every organized religion is doomed to this cycle of radical startups, gathering followers and growing, then becoming dominated by the powerbrokers.

But, somehow, we keep finding the name of Jesus in each of these cycles.

I'm not ranting and I'm not expressing any "doom and gloom" - just remarking on a historical pattern that keeps repeating. Feel free to disagree.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Like I recently posted one of the biggest question marks is who was Jesus, and of what significance is he to us and history?

I have heard all kinds of Christians tell me he is our Savior and I need him or else I am condemned so I hope I do not got many replies with that message. I just want to know who was this guy, he certainly was someone special since 2000 years later billions bow down and worship daily, is it really possibly he was the one the New Testiment says he was?

Errrr... Jesus is the Son of GOD... open your heart to him and you willl feel that GOD is LOVE....

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
GOD made his WIFE a.k.a. (Sophia)
They together made the first begotten son Jesus....

That all took place in ... umm heaven (for lack of a better description) ... in a sort of .. non-physical ?? place.. it's hard to explain simply.. or in english or any other language for that matter.. but Jesus was GODs first child.. which is why he's so important.. or better yet.. why we're so important... he sent his first son to save us.... from the ignorant son that Sophia made by herself without GODs permission ..

in our history .. he's been a revolutionist, both times.... first he gave us the knowledge of good and evil as he appeared to Adam and Eve as an Eagle, not as the lies that have been told, that Satan gave it to us, and so we were awakened and repented and felt ashamed and seen our nakedness, and GOD found favor in us, but Satan was angry because we disobeyed him and he cast us out of his paradise.... Then we survived for quiet awhile with our new found ability and we learned..
then we became intoxicated with this knowledge and were drunk with the power of good and evil...
so once again he came to cleanse us, and sober us...

and he came a second time...
He came and ridiculed our laws and our ways, said we have become intoxicated, and we judge unaccordingly. We worry about cleaning our hands and worry about what goes into our mouths but no longer care about what comes out, our judgements are heavy.
He told us we are manipulators, and that we should control our power...
and that we are heavy game players and that we should take ourselves away from this world (meditate) and we should not care about material possessions...
["Games" are behavioral sequences defined by roles, rules, rituals, goals, strategies, values, language, characteristic space-time locations and characteristic patterns of movement. Any behavior not having these nine features is non- game: this includes physiological reflexes, spontaneous play, and transcendent awareness.]
We must take ourselves away from the Game in order to truly live...
We aren't human anymore... we're walking egos....

Through my research and collaborations this is whom I believe the spiritual Jesus is...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
the dark side of Jesus

He's got the most overrated personality in written history. He was the opposite of what Christian's believe him to be: ignorant, vindictive, self-righteous and hypocritical. To know him is to dislike him.

The Beatitudes Jesus offers his blessings to the type of people he is looking for to send to heaven. They are so severe that no believer can live up to them, except by accidental misfortune. 6/6/03

The Apocalypse of Jesus Like a broken clock that keeps perfect time twice a day, Jesus' prophesized omens are right every year, except for the apocalypse. 6/15/03

Seven Deadly Sins In their arrogance to spread guilt, the Church Father's definition of sin is so petty that even Jesus qualifies as a sinner. 6/18/03

Hellfire Jesus A collection of passages of Jesus' temper tantrums shows that he was anything but kind and loving. He was an immature jerk and a petty tyrant. 6/22/03

The Ten Commandments Jesus and the Christian Church are measured against the Ten Commandments. The Church fails at least the first two. Jesus fails the last eight. 6/27/03

Jesus' Plan of Salvation It has nothing to do with the sin of Adam. Jesus was against almost anything that had to do with self preservation. 7/5/03

Jesus' Second Coming Jesus’ expectations of returning soon on Judgment Day, undercuts Christian theology about inherited sin. He returned a second time to authorize the Church. 7/13/03

Jesus' Family Values Jesus' family was the entire opposite of what Christian's consider wholesome. His obsession with loyalty encouraged families to break up. He denied his own family. 7/17/03

Jesus' Wealth He went around preaching that wealth will land you in hell. Give him your money and he will take care of you. He mind having wealth himself. 7/23/03
go here www.usbible.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

Now, if you are asking who is Jesus really, beyond what is written in text, then ask him! But i think that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Not all all, I think i needed to hear that, thank you for your response!

Theres is another interesting thing I was told about Jesus and his contribution to religion; his name is mentioned more times in the Koran than anybody else including Abraham, Moses, AND Mohamed. I have never read the Koran so I can back this up, but the man who told me it is a well educated and respected person so I am sure it is true.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

IMO, the historical man, Yeshua ben Yosef, perceived that his mission in life was to seek out and restore the Secular and not-so-Torah-observant Jews of his day and age to the orthodoxy of Separatist (Pharisaic) Judaism and the orthopraxy (with few exceptions) of the proto-Rabbinic Hillelites and their associates among the Chasidim (Pious Ones).

Yeshua sought to do this by calling these "lost sheep" to repentance, which (as many during this period believed) would work to usher in the Messianic Era as he understood it. In short, his Kingdom of Heaven (Rulership of G_d) movement was not terribly unlike the Baalei Teshuvah (Masters of Repentance) movement that we see in our own day and age amongst the Hasidic Jews.

*I* think much of Yeshua's self-awareness was motivated by the times in which he lived and indeed his deeply felt personal desire to please his Heavenly Father. No, Yeshua didn't come to bring peace. Yes, he came to bring a sword of division, but the division he sought to make was between Secular and not-so-Torah-observant Jews and those who were "called out" from their midst in order that they might be restored to Separatist (Pharisaic) orthodoxy and orthopraxy -- not to mention the ethical focus of the Chasidim (Pious Ones).

I could on, if anyone is interested. If not.... No biggy. To each his own. :bnghd:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
denero, I know you are talking abou the "gnostic books". Thing is how do you know they are true and the bible is false? I am not saying they are or are not true, I am saying I do not know. What made you come to the conclusion that they tell the truth and were not "forged" as a lot of documents in that time. Again i am saying I do not know either way, just asking howq you came to your conclusions as i am also currently trying to figure "texts" of those times out...

top topics

join