It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court turns away challenge to Trump steel tariffs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

WASHINGTON, June 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday turned away a challenge to President Donald Trump’s tariffs on imported steel brought by an industry group that argued that a key part of the law under which he imposed the duties violates the U.S. Constitution. The justices declined to hear the American Institute for International Steel’s appeal of a March ruling by the U.S. Court of International Trade that rejected the group’s lawsuit. The institute is a pro-free trade group that represents steel importers and users of imported steel. Trump imposed 25% tariffs on imported steel and 10% tariffs on imported aluminum in March 2018 based on national security grounds. Exemptions have been granted to Argentina, Australia, Brazil and South Korea in exchange for quotas. Canada and Mexico were exempted in May. In response, both countries lifted their retaliatory tariffs on the United States.
so trump gets another win via scotus by them denying the challenge to his tariffs on steel so they get to be implemented with the exceptions given for the nations listed above in the snippet. so now imported steel will come with a 25% tariff attached which hopefully leads to a boost for us steel manufactures . and i guess we have to wait and see what the chinese response to this will be over the current trade wars going on

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
so now imported steel will come with a 25% tariff attached which hopefully leads to a boost for us steel manufactures . and i guess we have to wait and see what the chinese response to this will be over the current trade wars going on

Canada is exempted and our steel imported from them is higher than any other individual country. China doesn't even crack the top 10.

edit on 24-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

www.investopedia.com... yep roughly 23 percent of our steel comes from our neighbors to the north ,think the lack of tarrifs for them had alot to do with his new version of nafta

www.cnbc.com...

In a joint statement Friday, the Canadian and American governments said the U.S. will scrap the metals duties within two days. Canada will remove tariffs levied on American goods in retaliation for the steel and aluminum duties. The countries will also: Drop all pending litigation in the World Trade Organization related to the tariffs Set up measures to “prevent the importation of aluminum or steel that is unfairly subsidized and/or sold at dumped prices” and “prevent the transshipment of aluminum and steel made outside of Canada or the United States to the other country” Make an “agreed-upon process for monitoring aluminum and steel trade between them” In a separate statement, the Mexican government also said it would remove retaliatory tariffs it put on the U.S. and cease pending litigation. Mexico also said it would set up measures to stop unfair trade practices in the aluminum and steel markets and to monitor trade of the metals in North America.
so it seems to just apply to steel from Canada and Mexico that is locally sourced and would in turn apply for metals we ship them being locally sourced to north America

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

American Institute for International Steel

I am pretty sure that is not a "real" American Institution.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
CNN cut this Democrat focus group short. They did not get the answers they expected last week.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

so now imported steel will come with a 25% tariff attached which hopefully leads to a boost for us steel manufactures . and i guess we have to wait and see what the chinese response to this will be over the current trade wars going on

Canada is exempted and our steel imported from them is higher than any other individual country. China doesn't even crack the top 10.

I'm a Canadian with family that works in various different fields within the steel industry in Ontario. I myself live in Alberta. Just a little background.

Anywho, its fact that a sizable percentage of "Canadian" steel is actually relabeled Chinese steel. It comes in on ships though the port on the St.Lawrence usually but not always and is shipped to Ontario.

Once it arrives it has some made in Canada stickers slapped on it and its sent to the USA. This was a major bone of contention with the Trump admin due to their economic war on China and it put the Liberal Party in a tough spot because they've been owned by the Chinese for decades.

Canada has expensive and massive iron ore reserves (6th largest in the world) that we can't mine and turn into finished product. And all of our steel companies are foreign owned.

The majority of "Canadian" steel is no such thing and we've been allowing the Chinese (and others but mostly China) to circumnavigate trade deals and agreements for a looong time.

Like I said earlier though, the Liberal Party of Canada is owned lock, stock and barrel by the Communist Chinese.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnS23

Please link to some facts, anecdotes aren't going to cut it.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

globalnews.ca...

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca...

money.cnn.com...

Canada imports more steel than it makes. A large chunk of it comes from China and Vietnam. We produce very little of our own steel. So where do you think the steel we ship to the States comes from? Low quality Chinese garbage benefits no one.

As for the anecdotal part, it doesn't really matter what you believe or don't believe. I have family in Eastern Canada whose livelihoods have been destroyed by Liberal capitulation to their Chinese masters. The Libs don't care though because the Chinese undoubtedly make sizable contributions to offshore accounts. Chinese ownership of the Libs is something everyone in thos country knows, hell even most Libs don't even deny it anymore. They don't have to because the average citizen is a moron and doesn't care.

As a Canadian that doesnt particularly like Trump because of his oil policies which have done severe harm to the Canadian oil industry I supported him on this issue and think he should have taken an even harder line on it.

Nobody wants infrastructure made from cheap, garbage Chinese steel

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

www.aiis.org... they are based out of Virginia for what its worth they have supporting free trade as one of the mission statements of the company so that is probally why they complained and lost in scotus

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnS23
Canada imports more steel than it makes.

That's not what any of your sources say, it says that Canada is a net importer of manufactured steel products.

Now, can you show me a source that backs up what you originally claimed?

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Source 1 is about China and Vietnam (and others) dumping cold rolled steel and aluminum on the Canadian market. This steel is then shipped to the US. 1+1=2. If Canada doesnt make much of their own then it stands to reason that the Chinese steel is being sent to the States in fairly large quantities right? Right.

The 2nd source talks about Canada being a net importer despite having massive reserves of Iron Ore. A large chunk of imported steel comes from......China and Vietnam.

3rd source is about imports/exports and who gets what from where.

I dont get your confusion here.

Canada imports tonnes of steel. It comes from China. Canada doesnt produce much of our own steel but we supply the USA with I think it said almost 20% of their steel.

Where do you think this steel is coming from that we are shipping into the USA. If we didnt make it and we import the steel from China.....

On top of that, anyone that actually works in the steel industry can verify all of this.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I called the Canada/U.S. steel relationship a while ago, that it would not be touched because too many U.S. jobs were at stake.
edit on 16CDT09America/Chicago05690930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnS23

And none of your sources say that raw steel is being imported into Canada from China and then shipped to the US.

It clearly says finished goods, raw steel is not finished goods.

edit on 24-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

www.lexology.com...

On March 27th, 2018, the Government of Canada announced new measures aimed at preventing the transshipment and diversion of steel and aluminum into Canada to avoid recently imposed United States tariffs on the metals. These measures will be subject to a 15-day consultation period through the Canada Gazette.
found this for what its worth but am not the smartest international shipping and whatnot edit to add then there is this

trade experts, however, cite several factors that challenge the Trump administration’s claims about the extent of this problem. First, transshipment is difficult to measure, and even if there is a practice of falsification of origin, it is not significant enough to make Chinese exports to the U.S. sizable. Second, experts contend that China’s practice of shipping metals to its Asian neighbours, where they undergo slight modifications, does not constitute transshipment, as the end product has been altered from its original form.

edit on 24-6-2019 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

found this for what its worth but am not the smartest international shipping and whatnot edit to add then there is this.

Here's the important part that other poster is ignoring when they tell their anecdotal stories:

First, transshipment is difficult to measure, and even if there is a practice of falsification of origin, it is not significant enough to make Chinese exports to the U.S. sizable.

edit on 25-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Because Canada sat down and worked on making trade fair iirc.
edit on 25-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Because Canada sat down and worked on making trade fair iirc.

My comment was more to address his about what the Chinese would do since they don't really amount to much when it comes to US steel consumption or production.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

oh my bad for not understanding you earlier i didnt exactly mean in the sense of steel but in the grander scheme of the ongoing trade war/fracas like what the response would be but as you have shown china exports not much steel to usa or canada i assume if they get upset over this it would be shown on other front (like ag imports or whatnot) sorry it took me this long to get back to you been a hetic day

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

so now imported steel will come with a 25% tariff attached which hopefully leads to a boost for us steel manufacture

That's not reality. We buy a lot of steel in our company, and in our board meeting last night, it was noted that U.S. steel has risen to match and even exceed prices of steel from China after tariffs. We are not saving money, or passing on savings to our customers due to buying local steel. Greed - you people think U.S. companies are exempt from it for some reason. U.S. companies are just finding it a nice opportunity to make more $$$. Oops.. so much for tariffs increasing U.S. business and revenue.

We buy from Canada, China and the U.S. - but we are not finding it beneficial to not screw up our supply chain due to the tariffs, because we are not getting any gains for doing so. The tariffs so far are doing squat.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

join