It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Master traveler's packing tips - get around air line weight limits easier! Get more in your car!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I see people spending a lot of money on extra fees for over weight luggage or additional luggage. Most airlines allow for a carry on suitcase that is relatively small - check size w/ airline - SLIGHTLY larger is often allowed - and you also are often allowed something like a backpack or laptop bag or satchel in addition. Now these carry-on's are subject to weight at least mine have never been weighed. You also have the risk of checked luggage not arriving with you or even being lost and if all your clothing is in these it makes for a TERRIBLE trip, especially if the destination is far away from your destination air port - I'd rather be a day late than loose my luggage!

What I just found out is the absolutely amazing benefits of vacuum packing clothing. This is often used for long term storage of things like blankets, quilts, out of season clothing, etc. It's basically a large plastic bag, much like a zip-lock bag with a vacuum port. I found that I could compress my folded clothing to about 1/5 to 1/8 the size even when smashed down into a suitcase and I only used a standard vacuum cleaner for vacuum for that compression ratio. I have a much stronger vacuum, one made with a real compressor/vacuum (piston driven instead of fan like a vacuum cleaner) and it will pull down to -12-14PSI vs my vacuum cleaner only doing about -3, so A LOT more compression is available if I had used this.

I'm thinking I could fit two extra large loads of laundry (nicely folded - or rolled - rolling is more efficient) into a standard carry on if I use the good vacuum so that means I would have ALL my clothing with me on my carry on - no worries about it being lost or not transferred. But what about the vacuum, do I need that special vacuum you have? Well "yes" but you can almost definitely get by with one of those 12v tire infiltrators that some cars come with. These are like $10-20 at harbor freight and up to maybe $40-50 at Autozone/Advanced auto/Wal-Mart/etc. But that's a compressor. Yes it's a pump that also has to draw air in, creating vacuum and these can be easily modified (or bought modified on ebay for basically same price). The size of these is about the size of 1 1/2 empty rolls of toilet paper in volume
About 58,300,000 results (0.62 seconds)

What is the largest size vacuum storage bag? and less ~1lb or little less, so they are light. 120v might be an option, but might be more expensive. the 12v can be run from any car and even from any other 12v battery (like power tools). So I'd pack it with me if I was traveling.

If you do the above, you can then pack a smaller check'd luggage bag and many of today's bags are already heavy themselves so the smaller the better. In here you can put the stuff like suits, dresses, shoes, gifts, etc and since the luggage is much smaller you might save 4-10lbs just in the weight savings of the smaller sized piece of luggage!

This is also a great idea if you are going on a family vacation and you can't fit everything packed normally. Vacuum some stuff (pillows become FLAT and fluff right up in 2-4 mins) and you'll be amazed at how much more space you have. Don't want to take the family minivan on vacation? Maybe with this you can take your sedan that you prefer and now you have room because of this!

This also works really well if going to/from college for breaks, especially if you have a lot of dirty laundry. Throw the laundry in these, seal and vacuum! It's air tight and no smell and tons more room. This is great if you have to give siblings or friends a ride home.

Camping is another good use of this for many reasons, they act as "dry bags" keeping your dirty/stinky/wet stuff separated from everything else and again - SIZE!

Note: - Also, if you are switching planes at air ports with a tight time line between your arrival and departure, your chances of luggage not arriving are much higher. This chance is even much greater if you are switching to another airline for one of your legs of flight.

Note 2: - Airlines have to bring your luggage to you if it didn't show up on the plane - DEMAND they deliver NEXT DAY or else you are entitled to money or replacement clothing or both.

Here are the bags I'm talking about. I'll look for some of the small compressors/vacuums

Do a search for "clothing vacuum storage bags" and you will find lots of options - here are some good ones I found. I got some nice ones - a 6 pack of 34" x 22" for $3.99 at a discount store (Ollies) but they have them at places like Big Lots and other clearance stores, often for like 10-20% o retail. I'm buying a bunch next time I see them priced like that.

www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

www.homedepot.com...

www.walmart.com...

www.bedbathandbeyond.com...

edit on 6 22 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Bring only what you need to survive

-Lone Starr

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
In theory, this is a great idea.

The problem becomes when you need to pack again after your first night.

Now I've never asked a hotel, or airline for a vacuum, so perhaps this is a luxury I have overlooked. But without access to a vacume repacking your bags will not give you the same economy of space you received in your initial packing.

The advice I have from flight attendants is to roll your clothes, rather than fold them.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I had to take frequent flights over the past winter, so my husband and I would take the cheapo airlines where the most you're allowed is a large backpack or you pay through the nose...

First off I'd plan ahead as to what I would wear each day, and keep everything to a minimum. Even with small items I'd be judicious.

For my clothes, what I'd do is put them into plastic bags (the clear ones for fruit/veg at my local grocer are good and thick) and then squeeze all the air out and tie a knot at the end. Same idea! Saved a lot of room to where I could squeeze in a spare pair of shoes.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 01:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join