It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dang Mosquitos...Need Advice On A Deterrent That I'm Using

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I hope this forum is the right place for this thread. Last year I purchased a relatively cheap mosquito zapper that uses a 18 Watt UV-A light to draw the pesky critters to the electrified grid. The bulb is bright and the unit is silent. I have it mounted on the corner of my deck and it turns on from 9:00 PM until dawn, using an electronic, weatherproof timer.

Some reviewers on Amazon stated that this unit is ineffective, but I didn't find that to be the case. Every 4 to 5 days, the detachable catch basin is completely loaded with dead mosquitos. Matter of fact, I clean the bulb as well, using a small brush because it's coated with dead mosquitos. However, I'm wondering if this device is actually helping. My back lot backs up to a large wooded area and @ 500 ft. away, within this area, is a huge pond that actually attracts many ducks. The device I use certainly isn't reducing the mosquito population because of this, so, is this device actually drawing mosquitos into my outdoor space around my deck? Would I be better off not using it? My family very rarely hangs out after dark on our deck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
12 bore shotgun...

Or plant geraniums.
edit on 19-6-2019 by Lagomorphe because: I am crap but geraniums and citrus work

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Burn cow poop

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Burn cow poop

Burn cows too.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Burn cow poop

Burn cows too.

yummy!

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
When Im sitting out on the deck, I'll use a diffuser with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. It keeps the skeeters away.
You can get a small diffuser for 10-12 dollars.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I've always preferred the method of keeping the mosquitos away and not the one that draws them in. The zapper on the deck draws the bug right to you. Maybe try hanging the zapper farther from the deck.

And like Cole younger said, there are essential oils that help.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I've always preferred the method of keeping the mosquitos away and not the one that draws them in. The zapper on the deck draws the bug right to you. Maybe try hanging the zapper farther from the deck.

And like Cole younger said, there are essential oils that help.

Thats what I was about to say, I moved mine way back to the corner of my back yard about 150 feet away next to the woods ,just seemed logical. Plus it keep the bats fluttering down there too,and you dont get the constant zapping Even ran the power cord underground so I don't hit it with my lawnmower.

But we still use other stuff on the deck,

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yep, like others have said, you have to move that away from where you want to be. Right now, your calling them in, giving them dinner, then killing them.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
When Im sitting out on the deck, I'll use a diffuser with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. It keeps the skeeters away.
You can get a small diffuser for 10-12 dollars.

Same oil works for stains on almost everything too.

Lags

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Burn cow poop

Burn cows too.

yummy!

Nom nom nom... and BACON... all behold the great bacon god...

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If none of these proposed solutions work, you may have to call the SWAT team.

Also, you may want to try Deep Woods Off. There are a lot of mosquito repellents out there, but you just can't beat off!

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Pick your favorites and spread them out on pots across the deck area, plus you'll have herbs to cook with. Not sure if this would solve the problem, or be a supplement to help.... But if it does help, win win win.

Cheap 🗹

Keeps bugs away 🗹

Yummy 🗹

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I have had amazing success with a product call Spartan Mosquito Eradicator. Its cheap and one pack of two covers an acre of land. We have always had a heck of a time with the pesky skeeters until we started using Spartan. Key is to hang them in the far corners of your yard and they last up to 90 days I believe.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Smear alligator fat on your body.
Karankawa style.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The pond near your property is the problem. However, you also need to makes sure you don't have too much standing water elsewhere on the property as that acts as as breeding ground.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
If you have standing water anywhere, that is a problem. If you cannot drain that water then you can buy little pellets that kill the larva with some sort of bacteria. If you have gutters, make sure they are clean. Also the plant recommendations from CriticalStinker are helpful. Keep your zapper. Also if you are having friends over buy one of those cans that spread an aerosol in like a cloud form. It will keep them away for a couple of days. Spray it in bushy and weedy areas.
edit on 19-6-2019 by Fools because: ...

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Build a bat box. Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The pond near your property is the problem. However, you also need to makes sure you don't have too much standing water elsewhere on the property as that acts as as breeding ground.

This right here. It will sound redneck as hell, but rubbing fabric softer sheets on your skin works.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I used all all over spray for my yard. (cedaroil) There was an area by my septic box/pipes. There are a lot of weeds and stuff, but just an area I don't think about much. When I sprayed that area the amount of Giant blood sucking mosquitoes that came up was shocking. It is not an area that you would think would be a breeding ground. It seems like a dry area. I guess the clay holds the water, and weeds provide just enough to create that breeding ground you talk about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join