It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: New potentially habitable exoplanet found around Teegarden's star

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Could be more advanced.

Of course that depends on a couple of factors.

Politics,and enviornmental challenges.

If they adapt then it would be more advanced.

If they based every decision on political bullsnip it would devolve. Just like eathlings.

edit on 18-6-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Amazing how they can tell this from just a very few blurred pixels , isn't it ?

Hahaha....., exactly.

And also that planet is so f# far that only if I see a Teegardanian I'll believe it.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Maybe we are the descendants of the Teegarden colony that left for the most Teegarden like planet -- Earth.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015

Wow ...thats good news. The problem with such interesting planets for humans is not being sure we will be welcome after a journey that took a lifetime ..or so.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Nifty Keen!

Buuut ... maybe we learn to live on the planet we have before moving on to ruin another one? Though moving industry to space is a major factor in keeping Earth healthy.

Then again, the evidence is growing that planet Earth exterminates most of it's life every few thousand years, so a new home isn't a bad idea.

The same would be true on any planet... unless we build our own.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Maybe one day after achieving light speed people can be put in cryo on the journey there at age 53. That way they can retire at 65 on a new planet. I'm sure though Congress would change Social Security for only Earth.

One major flaw in that. Light speed is unattainable. As long as mass is involved. A.sk Einstein.

Perhaps there is a short cut. Think: Quantum Entanglement; it's a hint.

"No soup for you"
And no shortcuts.
Unless one has a way to transform matter to wave.
Or , zero mass

Sad to see this attitude. We don't know everything. And if we have decided to limit our vision, we won't be going anywhere. Newton never envisioned quantum mechanics.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Maybe one day after achieving light speed people can be put in cryo on the journey there at age 53. That way they can retire at 65 on a new planet. I'm sure though Congress would change Social Security for only Earth.

One major flaw in that. Light speed is unattainable. As long as mass is involved. A.sk Einstein.

Perhaps there is a short cut. Think: Quantum Entanglement; it's a hint.

"No soup for you"
And no shortcuts.
Unless one has a way to transform matter to wave.
Or , zero mass

Sad to see this attitude. We don't know everything. And if we have decided to limit our vision, we won't be going anywhere. Newton never envisioned quantum mechanics.

Why are facts sad to you ?
Who brought up Newton ?
Albert set the universal speed limit , not Isaac

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

One major flaw in that
Light speed is unattainable.
As long as mass is involved.
Ask Einstein.

Quarks have mass. The LHC accelerates them to 99.9% the speed of light.

Explain please.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

"they" being super computers.

Yes I can believe that.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

99.9% is NOT 100% and when we are talking about these types of speed.001%is a lot.

But yeah we can travel at speeds close to the speed of light ,very close.
But that would still make a trip that's 50 light years away take over 50 years to reach.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

This what we call "assumption"

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
The solar system is reportedly twice as old as ours, so if there is intelligent life there, it would be far more advanced than ours.

Not necessarily. We are intelligent life of a primate nature, from apes. We achieved homo sapien status from the pre-human upright ancestor species through a genetic mutation I believe. Isn't that why we're the only species on the planet that has evolved so rapidly into an intelligent, self-aware, complex social existence and continue to do so, right? That's why there isn't an advanced intelligent species of K9 leaps and bounds ahead of the rest I thought.

If you look at how monkeys, apes, gorillas and baboons act, how they're wired, you can see why humans have some of the traits and tendencies we do despite being so evolved. Wars, tribes, packs or clans. Senseless violence and hurting each other for fun.

Being cruel to strangers if it benefits you -- this goes for most business too. People intentionally rip you off, sell you a crap product, do whatever they can at your expense to win dollar points in the capitalist survive and thrive game. Hey, it's survival of the fittest -- another trait of the apes along with every other species but it's more pronounced in them.

Suppose intelligent life evolved from a more peaceful creature, a herbivore, without any need or thought whatsoever to have conflict amongst themselves, hurt each other, have wars. Not only that but homo sapiens learn and advance their portions of the race through war.

Picture it, the United States in 1921, it's nothing even close to the USA in 1941. If all you were given to analyze were that, you'd be amazed at the change and the growth wondering "What on Earth happened to spur this level of advancement, science and growth? World War II of course. The primate trait kicked into high gear and the world grew massive amounts which brought us to the current day with our technology boom and global politics. If there's never war, we never advance as a whole more quickly from the stress and pressure. This growth process is built into us and is directly responsible for the level we're at now.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

One major flaw in that
Light speed is unattainable.
As long as mass is involved.
Ask Einstein.

Quarks have mass. The LHC accelerates them to 99.9% the speed of light.

Explain please.

You see the "light speed is unattainable" ?
Is 99.9% of light speed actually light speed ?
And , no particle that has mass can move at the speed of light .
Not even quarks. Which that statement in itself is false. The LHC uses protons and photons . Quarks are a by-product of the collision and the major reason for the research
Ask Einstein .

Your turn to explain how you think a percentage of light speed = light speed
Doesn't matter if it is 99.9999999999%
I believe that would be impossible to state.
With a 6 Sigma.
As mass approaches the true speed of light , the mass increases .
As an object closes in on the speed of light , it takes on almost infinite mass , and requires near infinite energy .
At exactly the speed of light , mass is infinite and so is the energy required.

Light speed , even near light speed , is unattainable .
Like Einstein and I said.

Dont bother with a response
It is 5th grade physics

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

"they" being super computers.

Yes I can believe that.

What ?

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It took evolution in perfect conditions, a utopian playground for life how many millions of years for the horse to become the modern horse (with our help), the dog become the modern dog (with our help), and for whale/dolphin/octopus/squid to reach the height of their evolved intelligence?

I read about it but I forgot because the information made me realize that they don't evolve like we do and never have or will. The prosecution rests. I don't know when why or how 3rd party law firms gained the ability to field prosecutors but.. evolution. The social wanted it or needed it I guess.
edit on 6/19/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
50 years to outside observers. To someone on the ship it would be the matter of a few months to years depending on speed.a reply to: scraedtosleep

Even if we don’t get FTL in the next few centuries, there’s a good number of possible habitable stars under 25 light years, and we have had technology researched and developed for the last 3-4 decades that can get up to 70-80% of light speed. For people in the early 30s and below, we’ll probably live to see the first images sent back by probes from another solar system. And if life extension and cybernetics pan out, we’ll be living long enough to move there ourselves.

edit on 19-6-2019 by johnthejedi24 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2019 by johnthejedi24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: johnthejedi24

I have a slightly more pessimistic view of homo sapiens ability to live beyond our planet. It's definitely in the category of something we won't be pressed to pull off unless it's critically needed. I doubt that I'll see video from humans on another planet, even on my death bed.

We don't/are against/can't give most people higher level healthcare from our immense research and scientific gains, which in my opinion rank in the top 3 as our biggest achievements. A fair percentage of those people that no one cares to publish a calculation in a study, that would be agreed by many at a level that few would acknowledge or admit, don't deserve the expense to utilize the scientific advancements in health on.

If they did, Republicans and Democrats would work together without a question on making it happen. If you disagree with me and vote Republican, would you be for raised taxes, even a relatively small amount on those above the lowest income bracket? Precisely my dear Watson. You'd never go for that even if Trump said he wanted to help everyone. That wouldn't happen either, obviously, because of what I just explained.

So why would homo sapien send fragile homo sapien with short lifespan and vulnerable health to a planet and send back images of the colony 30, 60, or 120 years from now? If we're all facing impending doom and that's about it.
edit on 6/19/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   

You said this.

I said yes, because the "they" that could tell this from a blurry pixel is a super computer.

A super computer can tell from a blurry pixel what something is.

I felt like you were saying that quote with disbelief.
edit on 19-6-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: johnthejedi24

Oh I think a 12ly away planet is definitely reachable. Hell I'd volunteer to go if I could.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

You said this.

I said yes, because the "they" that could tell this from a blurry pixel is a super computer.

A super computer can tell from a blurry pixel what something is.

I felt like you were saying that quote with disbelief.

Sure , I am a firm believer - not
Know what is considered a "supercomputer" ?
No ?
I haven't got time to tell you
Yet , I will say put computer in the plural . There is no single "supercomputer" . In fact , most are comprised of 1000s of compute nodes.
From someone who knows .
And , someone ( a mortal) had to develop that program that supposedly (please learn to use that word) can interpret those few very blurry pixels .

With that said , I am bowing out of ATS for now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join