It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrifying Mudslide Caught On Video SweepIng Away Parked Cars In China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
On Thursday, June 13, a massive mudslide in Longyan City, located in southern China's Fujian Province, left one person dead and trapped other drivers who needed to be rescued.

Relentless rainstorms, since the start of June, have killed at least 49 people and left 14 others unaccounted for in the southern portion of that country.

On Wednesday, a Chinese disaster committee said more than 300,000 people have been forced to evacuate, and its social media account revealed that storm-related economic losses have topped the $1 billion mark, tallying about $1.4 billion, as reported by The Associated Press.

In all, the committee believes a staggering 4.5 million residents over eight provinces have been distressed by mudslides, floods and landslides.

www.nydailynews.com...

edit on 6/15/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

How much you want to bet it was caused by global warming

Good find

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

How much you want to bet it was caused by global warming

Good find

Apparantly it was caused by rain...

Weird, ikr..

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

And what caused the rain?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

?????? What was the purpose of those white barriers? It looks like is was made from mesh or cardboard?

They obviously were to protect from debris coming down the hill, but I don't see how they expected it to be very effective, even against a few pebbles. Surely they didn't expect it to stand up against any kind of land slide.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Landslides are crazy to see.

We had a road here that got wiped out several years ago and when you drive by there you can still see the scar it left.

The video made me go hunt down more crazy landslides.
That is some serious power.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Usually clouds.

Someone probably cut the trees off the land which caused the ground to be more susceptable to washout. That is what caused a few of the bad mudslides in California over the last five years or so. In some cases, people warned the county not to be cutting off the trees but they did not listen. When the roots finally rotted, the mudslides occurred, for a few thousand bucks worth of wood, millions of dollars of damage happened. No global warming needed.
edit on 15-6-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think the barriers were to stop erosion, not to stop a mudslide.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Well that one jerk was double parked, what did he expect?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Erosion or fire in the case of California. Either way, the hillside is cleared of vegetation and when it rains, there's nothing to hold the hillside in place.

I'd guess you're right in the case of China. If they're like the USSR, not much attention is paid to the environment when it gets in the way of the state. If the hillside needs clearing, then it gets cleared.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The weather.

Look, this has been a rainy year. It happens.

Those of us in the central US are dealing with lots of rain too, but it was due to weather, not global warming (which was supposed to cause droughts and high temps, btw, not rain and cooler air than normal).

There was a blocking high pressure system stuck over the SE and a ridge in the west that perfectly trained all the Gulf moisture and all the storm systems right over us for a prolonged period of time. As a result we got super-saturated because it happened during our rainiest time of the year.

Now, the soil is super wet. As a result, we're not heating up like we usually do keeping us cooler than normal and all that moisture is keeping the storms firing more than normal as we continue into our wet season. So we stay wetter and cooler because the pattern has been primed.

It's weather, not anything abnormal and unexplainable beyond circumstances that can happen on their own.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Quite normal for Southern China this time of the year. We call them Dragon Boat Rains after the famous holiday of the same name.

Those white barriers are not to stop the mountain from coming down. China has a strict law in place about placing visual and security barriers around construction sites. This area obvious was under construction recently and it wouldn't surprise if the mountain was partially removed to be used elsewhere causing this problem. Those white barriers will only stop people from entering the site and small debris from exiting the site.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Rain happens all the time. It's ludicrous to attribute this incident to global climate change. The hill was likely stripped of trees and grass that would have soaked up the excessive rain.
This sort of thing happens worldwide when stupid humans blindly cut down hillside woods and forests because they want the land to live on. It has nothing to do with climate change.
edit on 16-6-2019 by micpsi because: typo corrected.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SpartanStoic
Thanks.

I noticed the majority of the area that slid down was in the area between the barriers. I thought it was strange luck that it came down in that spot, unless they had seen signs of a possible slide, which would have made sense if the barriers were more sturdy.

My second thought was that it was an area of pending construction and was just a temporary netting put in place for small debris and protection of the workers. But after seeing the amount of destruction, it seems there was a surprising turn of events.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Wow! Good find on the extreme land slides. I've pondered the possibility of land slides like this every time I cruise through the mountains.
Nothing would hold back some of these massive land slides.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Could very be that it had been cleared and leveled for pending construction, that's quite common to do that work and leave the site for many weeks or months before starting a structure.

I asked the wife if she could find more on social media but wasn't able, the HK stuff has overshadowed a lot right now.

top topics

join