It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Sounds like the right course of action, for once! "Manipulation and brainwashing" is precisely what those ads are doing. May be why your own gender construct got triggered, perhaps? Worth considering!

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
If women wants equal rights, then no more 'lady first'...whoever gets to the life boats get saved first. Is the British gentleman illegal then? Is American individualism taking over?

edit on 15-6-2019 by everyonedies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I have to say, I am sick of seeing ads showing men being useless at cooking and stuff.
The idea that we can't look after our own kids without our wives present to stop the baby crawling up onto the roof or finding out power tools is moronic.

It's an old trope about how the household descends into savagery when mum's away for the weekend.
I am glad this will stop being touted around in adverts.

There's no reason men can't cook and look after their kids, or that women can't paint the outside of the house or put up a shed.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I saw this story and thought that it would blow over and be nothing because some woman probably started this issue and by now she’s had a good cry, got done with her monthly, eaten some chocolate and gotten back to making some nice dinner.

Problem?

Solved.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: everyonedies

American individualism is ladies first.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
How the heck is this law going to be enforced? Are KFC gonna get a fine for aiming their adverts at hungry people? Because non hungry people can still eat KFC ya kbow!

#ing joke this country is becoming, full of fannies.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xabi87
How the heck is this law going to be enforced? Are KFC gonna get a fine for aiming their adverts at hungry people? Because non hungry people can still eat KFC ya kbow!

#ing joke this country is becoming, full of fannies.

KFC had better not have any black people in their ads perpetuating that harmful myth black people love fried chicken.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: everyonedies

American individualism is ladies first.

This is real individualism: If a woman wants a beach body, then all she has to do is to go to the beach, there now she has a beach body.

Bidot’s hope is that with consistent representation in the fashion industry and in the media, the conversation will shift. “It’s not about what size your swimwear is or how much your thighs may jiggle. It’s about going out in the sun and having a great time.”

www.chatelaine.com...

At a time when our brain processes images 60,000 times faster than words Straight/Curve sets out to change the imagery we are seeing and to bolster a movement that is redefining society’s unrealistic and dangerous standards of beauty to impact society at large

www.straightcurvefilm.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Sonalee Rashtwar? Is that you?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Sonalee Rashtwar? Is that you?

No, just me, InTheLight...in the light.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You sound like her.

Instead of being proud of being overweight, people should be working to shed the pounds. No, for a lot of people, it's not easy, but it can be done. It's not even that hard. I've dropped 50 lbs over the course of the last two years.

The big hurdle for most is that you have to cut out sugar, pop, and processed convenience food.

It means you have to go back to cooking for yourself most of the time, and that means some extra work.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

You sound like her.

Instead of being proud of being overweight, people should be working to shed the pounds. No, for a lot of people, it's not easy, but it can be done. It's not even that hard. I've dropped 50 lbs over the course of the last two years.

The big hurdle for most is that you have to cut out sugar, pop, and processed convenience food.

It means you have to go back to cooking for yourself most of the time, and that means some extra work.

Nobody should be forced to change themselves to accommodate others. Not all perceived overweight people are fat, some perceived overweight people are shaped that way by DNA.

“This is fatphobia, shaming other people’s bodies and passing judgement on their health is not your business, and excluding diverse bodies is the opposite of progress,” Lawrence wrote in a post on Instagram.

“News flash: I am more healthy NOW than I was when I was thinner because being skinny does not equal being healthy.”

globalnews.ca...

edit on 16CDT10America/Chicago017101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Xabi87

The people enabling these PC driven initiatives and laws have nothing in common whatsoever to anyone I know and are doing so for reasons that no-one I know supports.
These people seem intent on changing the very fabric of our society through social engineering and information control and manipulation.

Judging by the ultra-sensitivity of the snowflake generation it seems to be working.

That begs the questions; to what end and who benefits?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Have to agree this is sheer madness and nothing more than politically correct bullcrap.

I mean who the hell reads anything into advertisements other than what they are?

It's like the silly warnings on the side of fag packets ffs.

You don't see them putting dead fat people on the side of Pringle tubs or alcoholics going through car windows on the side of a bottle of whiskey.

this crap is of the same or similar caliber.

link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Xabi87

The people enabling these PC driven initiatives and laws have nothing in common whatsoever to anyone I know and are doing so for reasons that no-one I know supports.
These people seem intent on changing the very fabric of our society through social engineering and information control and manipulation.

Judging by the ultra-sensitivity of the snowflake generation it seems to be working.

That begs the questions; to what end and who benefits?

For one, it benefits plus sized female athletes and society as a whole.

“For me, the importance of it was… actually (seeing) representation of my body type in fitness. It’s not something I ever had,” Taylor told Global News. “Women athletes aren’t just a size small.”

She believes the mannequins will help crush the myth that plus-size women can’t exercise.

“So many people think that a plus-size body can’t be active. I work out six days a week,” she said.

“I could be standing next to somebody who’s thin, and somebody might think that they’re healthy. Meanwhile, they don’t go to the gym and they don’t eat very well.”

globalnews.ca...

link   
a reply to: Freeborn

If they can successfully manipulate the population with this, then it opens the door for a far deeper engineered change per government whim.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

You sound like her.

Nobody should be forced to change themselves to accommodate others. Not all perceived overweight people are fat, some perceived overweight people are shaped that way by DNA.

Why the assumption that the only reason you lose weight is for others? It's for your health that you do it. There a ton of health issues related to carrying extra weight. Everything from extra wear and tear on your joints leading to musculo-skeletal problems like worse arthritis and joint replacements to increased risk of cancer to higher risks of diabetes and other similar metabolic issues (high blood pressure, etc.).

My whole family has high blood pressure. I'm still clocking in 120/80 *after* coffee in the morning in my 40s because among other things, I'm a healthy weight. I feel better now than I did when I weighed 50 lbs more. I have more energy. I *want* to do active things again.

And we're not talking about BMI which is a flawed measure. We're talking about healthy weight. There are different frames your body can have: small, medium, and large. You can have different body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, etc. Depending on which combo you are, your body shape will be different when you reach your healthy weight. I'm tall and lean as an ectomorph with a large frame, so my ideal weight is higher which is fine even though I look plenty thin now.

But other body shapes, heights, and frames will have different targets and different looks. Some will look chunkier but still be perfectly fine and healthy. Not everyone is going to look supermodel thin, and in fact, that's not healthy at all.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

You sound like her.

Why the assumption that the only reason you lose weight is for others? It's for your health that you do it. There a ton of health issues related to carrying extra weight. Everything from extra wear and tear on your joints leading to musculo-skeletal problems like worse arthritis and joint replacements to increased risk of cancer to higher risks of diabetes and other similar metabolic issues (high blood pressure, etc.).

My whole family has high blood pressure. I'm still clocking in 120/80 *after* coffee in the morning in my 40s because among other things, I'm a healthy weight. I feel better now than I did when I weighed 50 lbs more. I have more energy. I *want* to do active things again.

And we're not talking about BMI which is a flawed measure. We're talking about healthy weight. There are different frames your body can have: small, medium, and large. You can have different body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, etc. Depending on which combo you are, your body shape will be different when you reach your healthy weight. I'm tall and lean as an ectomorph with a large frame, so my ideal weight is higher which is fine even though I look plenty thin now.

But other body shapes, heights, and frames will have different targets and different looks. Some will look chunkier but still be perfectly fine and healthy. Not everyone is going to look supermodel thin, and in fact, that's not healthy at all.

Because this whole discussion is based on manipulative fat shaming advertising and subsequent brainwashed young people that believe what advertisers are telling them that only a certain 'perfect' body type is healthy, desired and the ultimate goal, rather than accepting that all shapes and sizes of people can also be healthy.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Freeborn

If they can successfully manipulate the population with this, then it opens the door for a far deeper engineered change per government whim.

I certainly hope so, in this case.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

People are perfectly free to be who and what they choses to be and what they are.
All people need is the ability to think for themselves.

I hardly fit any of the desired images projected by these advertising agencies etc and I don't feel pressurised to conform to them.
That's because I have a strong sense of who and what I am.
I accept not everyone has that personal strength.....it should be encouraged from birth, through education and into adulthood.

If people feel pressurised to conform to anything then I personally think that's more down to their own personal weaknesses and failings than anything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join