It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

edit on 14-6-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

This is nothing more than manipulation and brainwashing.

TV is nothing more than manipulation and brainwashing , don't watch adverts or TV .... simples.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

It has to do with fat shaming.

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

That is not advertising fitness, it is advertising drinking a caffeine-laden drink instead of eating healthy.

It goes beyond fat shaming and trying to tell us what a 'perfect' woman's body should look like. Any tactics will be used to sell their products...I always research the product reviews and usually find the truth lies there.

I can tell you what the perfect body looks like like and all those women in yellow bikinis look pretty damned close. It isn't fat shaming, it is advertising and some retarded gubermint agency shouldn't be cowtowing to bunch of lazy ass obese women because of feewings. Liberals and progressives have gone off the rails crazy, stop trying to drag down the rest of us to your subterrainean levels, please!

I wonder how long fat women would have lasted in the pre-civilization era being chased by lions, tigers, bears, wolves, etc.? Just remember the line, "I don't have to run fast, just faster than you" lol.

Cheers - Dave

Do you really think those women in the yellow bikinis use that product? Of course not...it's all manipulation and lies.

And you seem fully aware they are manipulations and lies, as are virtually everyone else. So, if we're all smart enough to know it's manipulation to push a product how is it harmful?

I have been around the block several times and don't need anyone's approval for any life choices I make, but not all women or men, esp.young people, have my life's experience to recognize society's BS and reject it, or see beyond the veil of unconscious and/or conscious biases. I always try to look deeper for the real truth.

So you want to baby-proof the world so they never get the chance to learn to detect and reject BS like you did? I that really helping them? Why would you deny them life's experience?

Their life's experiences will be such that they won't have to learn about it, then learn to deal with this types of BS if it doesn't exist anymore.

BS will ALWAYS exist. It's sad you feel our youth aren't strong or intelligent enough to cope with it. Personally, I try to give them a little more credit than that.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The public furor over a 2015 poster on the walls of London's subway system, showing a woman in a bikini with the words "Are you beach body ready?," prompted the regulator to look into all gender portrayals in British advertising.

I live in a beach resort that was a fishing village some 50 years ago. There's a college not 5 minutes away, so most of the people are 18-25, with a few folks in their early 30s, who look younger than they are because they aren't trying to destroy their bodies like we're actively doing in the US since the moment we are handed our first doritos snack.

The majority of the people have a beach body all-year-round. They don't even workout or bother with their physical health, they're this way because they avoid the garbage food we eat and the sugarey drinks we drink back in the states, and they aren't addicted to video games. I travelled all across Europe, and even in places where beaches are few or non-existant; most of the people have a ''beach body''.

But when I visited the UK, all I saw were obese people, or overweight, making me think that we are very much the motherland that colonized the continent we live in

So, the reason such an ad causes outrage is because most people in the UK are obese. Just like it happens in the USA. The average woman over here? 5'7'' and 110lbs. The average woman in North America? 5'4'' and 170lbs at 30% body fat, and they all want to be treated like they're a 20 year old Angelina Jolie. YIKES. The average man in America? 5'10'' and 190lbs to 200lbs at 30% body fat.

The average man here? 5'9'' and 140 to 160lbs at 10% body fat, without going to the gym. The ones who do bother with their physical looks are at 9% body fat or below, I see tons of dudes getting recruited straight out of high school to star in tv soap operas all the time.

You think people here feel bad when they see ads with shirtless men shaving their face or bikini ads for women?

Make America great again. Let's decrease the national BMI LOOOOL. My parents showed me videos and pictures of a time when the average American man and woman actually looked like human beings, instead of bipedal Jabba The Hutts. Can we go back to that time again please?!
edit on 14-6-2019 by Ligyron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

the magazine HAD to use anorexic models. I am not willing to accept opinions, I prefer facts.

Anorexic? How is that woman anorexic? She got boobs, hips, and you can't see her ribcage.

This is how most of the women around here look like:

www.nepal24hours.com...

Does she suffer from an eating disorder?

Because she doesn't have fat rolls, and her stomach is flat you reach the conclusion that she's anorexic? Or because she doesn't have a butt the size of Africa like how it's popular amongst young American men to fawn over deformed rear ends?

Seriously dude, being overweight is not normal. Yes, it's the norm in the united states, which results in women who are almost 200lbs at 5'4'' calling themselves average, but really, that's like me calling myself the next Brad Pitt ain't it lmaooooo. Bulls1t.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

That is not advertising fitness, it is advertising drinking a caffeine-laden drink instead of eating healthy.

It goes beyond fat shaming and trying to tell us what a 'perfect' woman's body should look like. Any tactics will be used to sell their products...I always research the product reviews and usually find the truth lies there.

I can tell you what the perfect body looks like like and all those women in yellow bikinis look pretty damned close. It isn't fat shaming, it is advertising and some retarded gubermint agency shouldn't be cowtowing to bunch of lazy ass obese women because of feewings. Liberals and progressives have gone off the rails crazy, stop trying to drag down the rest of us to your subterrainean levels, please!

I wonder how long fat women would have lasted in the pre-civilization era being chased by lions, tigers, bears, wolves, etc.? Just remember the line, "I don't have to run fast, just faster than you" lol.

Cheers - Dave

Do you really think those women in the yellow bikinis use that product? Of course not...it's all manipulation and lies.

And you seem fully aware they are manipulations and lies, as are virtually everyone else. So, if we're all smart enough to know it's manipulation to push a product how is it harmful?

I have been around the block several times and don't need anyone's approval for any life choices I make, but not all women or men, esp.young people, have my life's experience to recognize society's BS and reject it, or see beyond the veil of unconscious and/or conscious biases. I always try to look deeper for the real truth.

So you want to baby-proof the world so they never get the chance to learn to detect and reject BS like you did? I that really helping them? Why would you deny them life's experience?

Their life's experiences will be such that they won't have to learn about it, then learn to deal with this types of BS if it doesn't exist anymore.

BS will ALWAYS exist. It's sad you feel our youth aren't strong or intelligent enough to cope with it. Personally, I try to give them a little more credit than that.

It's sad that media and advertising manipulate young people who believe what advertisers are force-feeding them. Then turn around and bully and shame others.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

My issue is that advertisers have essentially become a psyops.

Messing with idiots minds may be fun (and profitable), but it is immoral. Employing psychology is a lie when used in advertising.

And while I am a big fan of Caveat Emptor and would like to see its return...truth in advertising should be expected.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It's sad that media and advertising manipulate young people who believe what advertisers are force-feeding them. Then turn around and bully and shame others.

Media and advertising isn't manipulating young people at all. If they were trying to push an agenda, you'd see whole streets covered with Calvin Klein male models ads, and victorias secret lingerie ads. I see a couple a week, and I travel to the ''big'' city often. Being overweight is not normal. Sadly it happens, and it happens often and plenty, but that's still a deviation from what a normal human being is supposed to look like.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ligyron
Make America great again. Let's decrease the national BMI LOOOOL. My parents showed me videos and pictures of a time when the average American man and woman actually looked like human beings, instead of bipedal Jabba The Hutts. Can we go back to that time again please?!

My counter-argument:
1) Food is delicious.
2) Nobody really cares what other people look like.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I still don't think the solution is to box them in with "protections" via more and more rules and regulations. Raise your kids to be confident and aware of the big bad world. You can't legislate self-esteem.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

These are the same type of people who got mad that not enough girls were playing with LEGO, so LEGO tackled that problem. They got girls to play with LEGOs and they listened to them and paid attention to how they played. The next thing you know, LEGO has a new line targeted at girls. It had all kinds of sets with little mini-figs and lots of play accessories because they discovered that girls really liked building, but only if they could then play with what they built in a doll-house-like manner. So girls got to build bakeries and shops and houses and all sorts of things like that.

Once again, the reliable people were upset because it was too domestic!

So LEGO went back the drawing board and came up with the LEGO Friends fantasy line with the elves and stuff with the bright colors.

And again, the same people went ballistic because of the color schemes ...

But in the end, LEGO achieved what those angry people said they wanted all along -- Girls were buying and building with LEGOs, just not in the way the angry people wanted.

I see this as similar.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: burdman30ott6

My issue is that advertisers have essentially become a psyops.

Messing with idiots minds may be fun (and profitable), but it is immoral. Employing psychology is a lie when used in advertising.

And while I am a big fan of Caveat Emptor and would like to see its return...truth in advertising should be expected.

I agree. I think things like photoshop to create impossible people should be banned, it's a lie. I do not think government should be able to determine what is harmful for people to be exposed to.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Food is delicious.

Yes, food is delicious.

Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salmon, fresh fish in general, olive oil, fruit, home made bread without the sugar garbage they add to bread at wallmart. Meat that comes from organically grown animals, home made soup, water and natural juices, rice and sphagetti, chicken breast, and all that. My dad is in his 60s and he's in better shape than most 20 year olds by far, and that's pathetic.

Pizza ain't food. Taco bell ain't food. Mcdonalds ain't food. That's poison. It destroys the body and it corrupts the mind, ending up with people saying that actually looking(the woman in that bikini ad) like you can walk a flight of stairs without having a heart attack before you are 30 to be abnormal and anorexic, and ''real women have curves.'' Sure, if they mean Jennifer Lopez's curves, instead of bulging stomaches and triple chins ''curves''.

Nobody really cares what other people look like.

Yeah? Come to Ibiza, and behold how people stare in fascination at the average American, Canadian, Mexican, and British person. Because they have never seen someone who hates himself so much as to allow himself to grow to immense dimensions, which not only prettty much makes the guy to be very unattractive, but also a live target for diabetes, heart disease, and a host of other obesity-related issues.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Do you recommend we lie and tell fat people that they're going to be great and not heading for an early grave like they are?

I know ... we can just make like Sonalee Rashatwar, and when someone comes in with an obesity related health issue, we can them it's just the white oppressive beauty ideal making them sick, not their weight.
edit on 14-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I agree. I think things like photoshop to create impossible people should be banned, it's a lie. I do not think government should be able to determine what is harmful for people to be exposed to.

Seems like a contradiction. Who do you want to ban those Photoshop creations, if not the government? Citizenry with pitchforks and torches?

The reason a lot of stereotypes exist is because there are enough people of a particular socioeconomic group doing something that it becomes recognized as a common behavior. And the inaccurate ones die off (after a while).

So what's worse? Recognizing that certain groups are associated with doing certain things, or to homogenize everybody with the false notion that "we're all the same and all want the same things." Which is completely wrong, and sets up a whole different set of expectations.

I don't know. I guess because I'm old I buy the products I need and are familiar with, and advertising doesn't have that much influence over me. That doesn't stop pharmaceutical companies from trying to convince me that if I start taking their expensive medication it won't be long before I'm dressed in white linen and bicycling on the beach with the old lady (I don't have) having a wonderful, healthy time. Talk about your harmful gender stereotypes:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I understand, but at the same time I think Darwin's theory can be applied to gullibility as well.

ETA: I'm not talking about patently false claims, for what it's worth. I do not believe companies should be able to claim their product performs some manner of miracle when it has never been found to do so. I also think, if a company makes a claim on a product, the company should be fiscally on the hook for anyone who did not receive what they paid for.

That said, when we start legislating on horsesnip like "OMG, that ad stereotypes gender roles!!!" then we're becoming a society of imbeciles and asshats. Let the market dictate what stereotypes are permissible and what ones aren't and, yes, some segment of society is going to feel butt hurt and insulted while a company "gets away" with an ad they find offensive or insulting but the majority see no issue with... such is life, grow some skin, STFU, and move on.
edit on 14-6-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

This is a bunch of random pictures found off google, of women and men.

Please do explain to me how this is a work of photoshop? I'm also confused at how these people are impossible? Because I see tens upon tens of thousands of people like this in my everyday, and I don't even live in the capital, which is where the truly attractive people are at.

blog.seabookings.com...

stabmag.com...

img2.10bestmedia.com...

These are people who don't workout. They've never been to the gym. They don't practice sports, but at the end of the day they still have a decent enough body to be attractive to a majority of people, because they eat HEALTHY and they don't eat 15 times a day.

I assure you that if people stop eating pizza and bacon and eggs, and sugars and all of that garbage people eat these days, if they start using their legs to walk instead of taking the car to go the grocery store, that in a few months time they will look like the ''impossible'' men and women you see in those pictures.

Hell, my mother is in her 60s, and she's still 90lbs. And she doesn't even workout. There is no excuse for young people to be overweight unless we're talking about a medical condition, and being addicted to fast food ain't a medical condition. It's just insanity.

jesus, no one is expecting people to look like a 25 year old Brad Pitt or a 21 year old Alessandra Ambrosio, but people can go on and on about how being obese is normal and they can't be blamed for being obese because being healthy and fit is apparently impossible and only achieavable by movie stars or something lmaoo.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

Talk to the government, they changed the laws that allows false statements and lying in advertising. Other than that, they're hot, in bikinis and I don't care lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Honking overflows

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Stop! Everyone is beautiful! being thin and atheletic is the same as having run away from a concentration camp! Real women and real men have body mass!(with almost 50% body fat apparently) and don't you dare say anything about my weight, but I hope you're 6'3'' at least xoxoxxo

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join