It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bums and how to deal with them

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

edit on 13-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: meh

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I realized the other day that our suburban Chicago "bums" are higher caliber than those we see in California. Most of them have cars...and live in them.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't think the bums will like it.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It sounds like indentured servitude, and not very cost effective. I don’t think it would pass muster.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
See the world! Be a hobo!
Sorry, I grew up close to the tracks. My mom never said much about the bums but I was always getting lectured about using the shortcuts crossing the tracks.
Do we still have the hobos? Think if I was young and homeless I'd prefer to hitch a ride in a train car and travel around.

I'm afraid that you should consider having a portion of your building fitted for families and be prepared to discover that some of your "bums" are college educated people with jobs that have just found their rents rising far faster than their paychecks.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
After free meal and free bed. Free meal, and free bed, and free meal, and free bed, After free meal and free bed. Free meal, and free bed, and free meal, and free bed, After free meal and free bed. Free meal, and free bed, and free meal, and free bed, After free meal and free bed. Free meal, and free bed, and free meal, and free bed, After free meal and free bed. Free meal, and free bed, and free meal, and free bed...

Does your money dry up and you’re begging for government assistance to provide for your private assistance?
edit on 6/13/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Admirable to try and find a solution, but there wouldn't be many takers I think..especially in spring/summer.

I think the shelter would be packed. It would not solve the bum issue but it sounds like easy street to me. Unfortunately the crime and the lawsuits that follow would ruin the project. I live in a very bum-friendly part of N.W. Florida, mostly nice weather most of the time, the sheriff is hamstrung by the ACLU, people give and give at every street corner. It's Bumtopia. Some folks you just cannot convince that there is a better way to live.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You know absolutely NOTHING about what a bum is, or what a homeless person is. You wont solve any problems, so please leave those poor people alone, they have a hard enough life, without some mindless drone with a "solution" tries to destroy their lifes any further.

If you want to make any real changes, you should take a look at the society, that creates those bums as you call them. Many of those people DONT want to join society, because it is rotten to the core!

EDIT: I never heard of anybody that would accept "help" from somebody who looks down at them. If you really want to help, you need to climb down from your pedistal first..
edit on 13 6 2019 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
"My idea is that if you give certain people baby steps to understand that work is the way to being responsible then if they take that step they might start understanding how things actually work."

But not all alcoholics are people who don't know how to follow rules or don't know how to work or how to be responsible. In fact, people might be surprised at how many "successful" people are raging alcoholics. A lot of alcoholics are actually highly talented, highly intelligent, type A personalities.

Some of them get lucky, like Subaeruginosa said. And some have people who will cover for them and clean up their messes and protect them. Some don't have that, and don't get lucky, and crash and burn eventually. I'm an example of that. I had an incredibly competitive, incredibly difficult-to-get job, which I got because I worked my ass off and became one of the best at what I do. Then in my late 20's, my alcoholism activated BIG time, and as is typical of some women alcoholics, I went down FAST. Blackout drinking and having to drink around the clock, and it caught up witth me eventually via missing a job, which you do NOT do in the position I had, due to its high-profile nature.

So I lost that and everything else, but it sure wasn't because I needed to understand that "work is the way to being responsible."

Your plan has promise, but there should be more categories and therefore different rules, etc, for different general situations. There are alcoholic bums who also have serious mental issues, and those need to be addressed. Then there are alcoholic/addict bums who just had the bad luck and/or ran out of people and family who would help them, but they don't have major mental issues. Then you have just your bums with straight-up mental issues that won't be able to follow your rules because they can't function in society with their illnesses. Then bums who don't have drug or alcohol problems or serious mental issues, but just who don't like to work. Those are the ones that might benefit from your "show them that work is the way to being responsible" program.

Probably ALL of them suffer with depression, though.

Anyway, good thread. It's a daunting issue, no doubt. 😢

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   

It might work. Though who is going to pony up the cash to build this facility. Most of the issues we have today were they just bring them in and then on the streets again, seems to be because it keeps people in jobs. I think closing down all our mental hospitals or loony bins was a mistake.

And also, may not work out all that well and your projection of helping out 1 out of 10, is right on the money. Also most of them are not on any soft-core drugs like alcohol, maybe things like meth, its in the price range of alcohol, and who knows what else there on.

And well, good luck trying to get them to get in there cells by midnight. You would have to drag them in, most especially the meth heads as one of the side effects is that they dont sleep for days, there basically walking talking jabbering nonsense zombies.

Basically what you propose will work, but only on those who already want to turn there life around, and like a bit of structure or a foothold to move through. The rest? Well not going to happen.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DukeMisterio
Here's my reasoning.

There are 2 or more different kinds of homeless. There is the temporarily down on their luck, I think they might take it up..maybe that segment fills a facility?
The others, being hardcore addicts, or just plain street people, not so much.
They want to be outside, unrestrained, free to do their drugs, hustle..etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The homeless shelter in Oahu across from Kmart did what you want to do. The problem was they needed a bigger building. Once the word got out , free breakfast and dinner, well its downhill from there. A bum is a bum. A vagrant is a vagrant and a homeless person not wanting to go to a homeless shelter is either on the run or simple can't and won't follow the rules of the shelter and considered not trustworthy to be in a homeless shelter. And they all know that the FBI these days do a swab of any coffee cups they drink from. Your ass is grass if you are on the run and check into a homeless shelter these days and many now have face recognition . Beware bums...

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
mocked, agreed with, perhaps this is what it takes. Much less stringent than the military. Their method is clearly not working. Then maybe structure is needed in their lives. the alternative is much worse. Your choice

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We should make sure to supply the Bums with enough toilet paper so they do not embarrass us.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Do you think it's easy being a bum?

People look down on bums

I was a bum once…well not really.

Here’s the story. I was a young guy in NYC Penn Station and somehow didn’t have the money to get back on the bus to Jersey.

What could I do? For at least two hours I had to roam around Penn station and panhandle bus fare back to Jersey.

THAT WAS NOT EASY!

I hated doing it but had no choice.

I didn’t look like a bum so I figured I’d get the bus fair in no time flat.
Forget about it...

And I’ll tell you it’s not east asking strangers for a little change, and people are very selfish.

And It was long and tedious going. I don’t remember the amount I needed, maybe a dollar seventy at the time.

But ever since then I’ve learned to have respect for bums. It’s a hard job panhandling, believe me.

I got a nickel, dime here and there and started to panic until a very generous Hispanic gentleman went in his pocket, (wherever he is today God bless him) and gave me the needed amount.

And I immediately went to the nearest liquor store to get that fifth of ripple I really NEEDED and guzzled it down!

No no no no no just joking...

Anyway, seriously, I got back to Jersey safely. What I learned though is that It’s not easy being a bum. And in reality, most of them are plagued with some kind of mental disorder. So every now and then I’m glad to go in my pocket and give them a little money and say a little prayer in my heart for that person to get better.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Well, you cant spell BUM
without you (U) in it.

I know you and many members will hate me for
this truth,,,
Rewarding Bad Behavior Breeds More Bad Behavior

For example the "Free Clean Needle Program",
it was begun with good intentions and good hearts like yours.

Now there are hundreds of thousands of contaminated needles
on the ground and in the sand of many what used to be fine public
beaches on our coastline.

Go ahead, poke your toe in the sand and feel the prickly pain
of truth for yourself.

S&F to your thread and your good soul, but remember there
are many dark souls who do not care at all or are just plain stupid low IQ.
Sad to report.

S&F

edit on 14-6-2019 by Wildmanimal because: Add details

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I live near Portland a homeless friendly city. The problem is the liberals say homeless friendly but they do not provide the infrastructure to support them. There is piles of crap on the streets because the city doesn't provide port-a-poties and businesses put combo locks on their bathrooms doors. The homeless count just grows because there is no services to get them off the streets. They need a safe clean place to live with a mailing address, they need counseling, they need mental healthcare, medical care, clean workable clothing, skill training, a job to get back into society sooner than later.

The really mental cases need to get moved off the streets in to proper care. The liberals can talk the talk but they never walk the walk...not too far in the past communities and churches would take care of people and the liberal governments have pushed them aside while doing nothing to replace them, but talk. It is not too hard to understand why we have so much homeless.

edit on 14-6-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:37 AM
link   

While I think it’s very commendable for you to think outside the box to help these people, you lost me at allowing booze. Many of these people love to drink, argue and fight and that would create problems right away. There’s a reason shelters don’t allow alcohol and drugs in their facilities.

I think incorporating AA, CA and NA meetings into the mix would be a good idea, as well as shared responsibilities at the facility. Part of getting well is also about having purpose in ones life and it allows people to start feeling good about themselves. I’ve been around addicts and alcoholics in recovery and not for 30+ years, there’s never a dull moment. I like the way you’re thinking though, there’s a lot of people in need of help and not enough people helping.

edit on 14-6-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Most of the problems in cities with homeless problems are the cities blame. Free, free ,free and people show up.

then the government gives group A money to help
Then group B wants to help from a different angle more $$$$
Group C has a great plan too lets try it $$$$$$
Group D is some politicians daughter and she has a wonderful presentation $$$$$
Group E is a church $$$$
Group F is a political group $$$$$
The above groups have 1000 employees to take care of 5000 homeless we can't cut jobs that help the homeless.

On and on and on

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join