It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart delivers angry speech to congress for lack of attendance to 9/11 first responders bill.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

You may already have your answer but the hearing took place in front of the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, which is a subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I understand your skeptism seeing as he's past of show biz, but I think the weight of the subject at hand really makes it probable if was real. I teared up a little and I was just listening to it.

This was for me, the moment I finally started to worry about my country. Worse case scenario, the funding runs out for these people. Best case scenario, our congressmen and women had "something more important" to do than take the time to listen why these people were worried, and convince them why they shouldn't be.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: shooterbrody

Who?
Oh that guy that used to do that funny show?

That's the sad part, isn't it?

Any outlet or pundit could have been a voice. But they aren't, Jon is.

Edit: to be fair I'm sure many will run this, but I doubt for long.

While the other so-called “funny” people Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, etc. decide to use their platform to millions for more serious issues - Trump’s hair and orange complexion, the way he dresses in the UK, phantom charges for impeachment, etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Who?

While the other so-called “funny” people Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, etc. decide to use their platform to millions for more serious issues - Trump’s hair and orange complexion, the way he dresses in the UK, phantom charges for impeachment, etc.

Are you seriously complaining that some comedians make jokes about Trump in a thread regarding the neglect of our leaders to 9/11 first responders?

Plenty of other threads for that pal, lets leave this tangent where it lies.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I had been thinking of 9/11 first responders recently (without being aware this was going on), having just had a fresh reminder of Chernobyl, with the HBO series.
I remember as a 10 year old kid thinking the world was possibly going to end. If it wasn't for the Russians who mostly KNEW they were heading in to horrible deaths, at a bare minimum, half of Europe, if not the whole continent and beyond, would be dead, cancer rates worldwide would be much higher than they are now, and it would still be a much larger mess than it is now.

Humans, especially those who choose occupations such as firefighter, police, etc., are largely the type who are just defiant enough to say, "____ you death, you're not stopping me from saving these people." With no forewarning, no chance to say goodbyes, etc, they plunge right in.

I wonder how many times our governments have to show too little appreciation, too little care, and too little taking care of loved ones left behind before the next time something happens and there's just not enough volunteers, or even if forced, they're not driven enough to succeed, knowing they are going to be abandoning the primary people who depend on them, their families, only to be shunned by a government and/or corporate entities who don't want to admit the full truth, and have better things to spend our money on (things that benefit themselves or those who line their pockets.)

Here's to the men and women who charge headlong into hell so that others may live and thrive. And here's hoping they'll always be there when we need them.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My opinion of this man has nothing to do with the truth of his words. Its not the person, its the message. And this message is clearly 100% correct.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don’t care too much for Jon Stewart as he makes a living mocking conservatives and all that I hold dear, but it is interesting that he’s focused on 9-11 first responders health care while Progressives care more about taking care of illegals and making American citizens pay.
edit on 12-6-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Who?

Are you seriously complaining that some comedians make jokes about Trump in a thread regarding the neglect of our leaders to 9/11 first responders?

See my last post. It’s relevant that the comedy crew mainly mock conservatives and traditional American values, and yes the mock Trump even more than they mocked Bush Jr. while ignoring Progressive hypocrisy. It’s hard to take comedians seriously when they mostly just mock in interest of the Progressive agenda.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

Who?

See my last post. It’s relevant that the comedy crew mainly mock conservatives and traditional American values, and yes the mock Trump even more than they mocked Bush Jr. while ignoring Progressive hypocrisy. It’s hard to take comedians seriou

sly when they mostly just mock in interest of the Progressive agenda.

When you say it like that, comedians general material is definitely relevant to 9/11 first responders being kicked down the road like a can.... /s

Your attitude, and those who hold it are the problem. Partisan politics bleeding into everything, there can't be a discussion without someone bringing up their butt hurt. BTW, comedians dish it out to everyone, you clearly just hang on to the parts you don't like.

The topic is 9/11 first responders needing medical assistance for their service... It's a non partisan issue, it's an American issue.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The dependency on government on full display. Nobody will help these people because they've bought the lie that the government should solve it, yet the government won't.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
True. Between the morning capitol gym workouts, meetings with donors, 3-martini lunches with kiss-ups, a quick power nap, and bullspitting with the media whores, who has time to listen to First Responders ask for a little help with their 911-associated health issues.

I understand the sarcasm. Yeah, 9/11 first responders probably got less attention than they should have. But everybody wants the government to listen (and give them money $$$). Everybody with a problem shows up on Congress's doorstep. Sure, 9/11 responders deserve some attention, but check out this short list of Hearings being held in the House of Representatives in June. And that's just the House. The Senate has their list, too:

Congressional Hearings, June, 2019

Everything from prescription drug regulations to nuclear waste storage to student loans, to ensuring Veteran survivors of military sexual trauma get the appropriate benefits. And at the end of the day, they have to figure out who gets how much money. Because Congress is the law, and the law isn't about fairness and justice, it's about trying to figure out in the grand scheme of things what needs and can benefit the most from money. That's why our budget is so huge. Nobody wants an "either / or." We want the 9/11 first responders to be compensated, yet we also want our nuclear waste not to poison us, and our kids not to be buried in student loan debt.

I'm glad I don't have to decide.

edit on 12-6-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf
The dependency on government on full display. Nobody will help these people because they've bought the lie that the government should solve it, yet the government won't.

And what exactly are they supposed to do on their own? Do you know how much their medical care costs? Not a single one of them can afford to pay it on their own, for proper treatment you’re taking several hundred thousand dollars per person per year.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Our budget is not that large, per capita we spend far less than most nations.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: Blue Shift
Our budget is not that large, per capita we spend far less than most nations.

Well, nearly $5 trillion. With well over half of that going to military spending. That seems like a lot to me.

Hey, here's an idea. Why not have all the 9/11 first responders become quasi-active members of the military?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

And what exactly are they supposed to do on their own? Do you know how much their medical care costs? Not a single one of them can afford to pay it on their own, for proper treatment you’re taking several hundred thousand dollars per person per year.

I suppose they can do what Jon Stewart does: stomp their feet and beg those in power.

There are charities, volunteer opportunities, and other projects picking up the slack where the government won't. There is nothing but our own dependency on the government stopping us from helping.
edit on 12-6-2019 by TheSteppenwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

They responded to an attack on the US and in doing so were sickened, injured, or killed; some years later.

This isn't about politics, this is about doing the right thing. This isn't "government dependency" issue either.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

They responded to an attack on the US and in doing so were sickened, injured, or killed; some years later.

This isn't about politics, this is about doing the right thing. This isn't "government dependency" issue either.

They why is Stewart crying in front of the government? It's theater.

If you want to do the right thing, do it. Charity, volunteer, and so on. What's stopping you from helping?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSteppenwolf

How is this a dependency thing? If I got hurt doing my job, I would expect my employer to make sure my medical bills were taken care of.

These people are our employees, and while usually this would be done locally, our country was attacked that day, which they had to deal with.

While your idea of charity is dandy and all, these people don't need to have to worry about their medical bills being taken care of. And while I'm not a fan of taxes, I certainly don't mind everyone chipping in a little to make sure that these men and woman can have some level of comfort knowing that the bills won't be part of their battle.

They're sick, they need to focus on trying to recover if they can, and having some level of comfort if they can't.

Your whole point of dependency however does have an inverse, and that's the willingness for some to forget about the sacrifices made by people. To cut the line right after and say something along the lines of "they're adults, they can figure it out". That's why we have so many soldiers not receiving adoquet medical and mental help.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

If you want to do the right thing, do it. Charity, volunteer, and so on. What's stopping you from helping?

Ah yes, the libertarian approach to all things. What a load of crap. How do you feel about soldiers getting injured in combat? By your logic, they shouldn't be compensated by the military, they should just be able to go to the Wounded Warrior Project where they will receive a bag of swag with their logo on it and not much else.

They why is Stewart crying in front of the government? It's theater.

Yes, it's theater. Which has people talking, which has people demanding action from congress, which is THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

These people were literally thrust into combat on September 11th, 2001 and NONE OF THEM WERE COMBATANTS. They responded anyway.

Your stance, even on its face is bull#. They responded to an attack on our country. Is that not enough, in your eyes, to provide compensation for their injuries and illnesses?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

How is this a dependency thing? If I got hurt doing my job, I would expect my employer to make sure my medical bills were taken care of.

These people are our employees, and while usually this would be done locally, our country was attacked that day, which they had to deal with.

While your idea of charity is dandy and all, these people don't need to have to worry about their medical bills being taken care of. And while I'm not a fan of taxes, I certainly don't mind everyone chipping in a little to make sure that these men and woman can have some level of comfort knowing that the bills won't be part of their battle.

They're sick, they need to focus on trying to recover if they can, and having some level of comfort if they can't.

Your whole point of dependency however does have an inverse, and that's the willingness for some to forget about the sacrifices made by people. To cut the line right after and say something along the lines of "they're adults, they can figure it out". That's why we have so many soldiers not receiving adoquet medical and mental help.

That's the point I'm trying to make. You expect things.

What if you don't get what you expect?

There is nothing stopping you and the rest of the country from "chipping in a little".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join