It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, another thread about Atlantis.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So we have a number of possibilities.

1 - It could be like Native Americans, where the people knew for a long time how agriculture worked, but their lifestyle was primarily nomadic. So they didn't actually do agriculture (the permanent settlement kind) until they had a good reason.

2 - Maybe the megafauna were getting in the way of true agriculture.

The Younger Dryas event is basically what killed the megafauna. Prior to that, it's not at all clear that humans were able to stop the herds from just walking in and eating the stuff growing in their fields. Sure they hunted megafauna, but I think that took a lot of luck and strategy. The broken and healed bones in skeletal remains suggest the megafauna did not always lose.

3 - Agriculture started on the island of Atlantis.

Probably the original settlement was by fishermen, who found the island was a great place to stop by and get some fresh water, maybe gather some fruit.

Then the settle there permanently. The Island isn't big enough to support migratory gathering (other than the fishing).

The island has no megafauna.

Since they have a backup food source (of fish), they can risk their seeds trying to grow something on purpose.

posted on Aug, 4 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
There is a town in Oregon that recently got overrun by a herd of elk. According to reports, they're actually pretty dangerous, if you look at them the wrong way.

www.nbcnews.com...

I'm betting the megafauna of the pre-Younger Dryas had personalities more like these elk, and less like the comparatively docile deer that you might occasionally see jumping around by the highway.

The people of the day didn't have guns, or even bronze spears, to kill them with. Just sharpened flint that could only pierce their hide if you hit them just right.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Some thoughts:

9300 years ago isn't so far fetched. The Black Sea flood through the Bosporous was in the range of 7k BC. This is what is thought to potentially be the "flood myth" (and likely the source of the signs of flooding across the sea in northern Africa, as shown in the thread you linked me here from). And while im not particularly proposing that the "Flood" is also described in Atlantis, i will make 2 comments on that:

1. Why not? We have stories like this from the whole world over relating to various flood myths. And while we can be sure that there wasn't a global flood...we are also relatively certain that floods happen everywhere all the time, and differentiating the timelines of flood myths is more about geology than anything else
2. The idea presented is that there was a society that grew rather large on the shore of the black sea. It likely was pushed back as the deglaciation caused the sea to grow. So the first settlement would be back prior. And to be honest, with settlements in Turkey showing 11kya dates, i have no problem at all buying that along the region where the silk road is now, humans began settling down and enjoying the bounties of the areas

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if the story got details wrong because people of the time didn't know the correct details and wrote down their best guesses?

If the enemy ships are sailing in from outside the straight of Gibraltar, then you're going to assume they come from out there somewhere. They could be located on the Western Coast of Europe, or Africa, and simply not have ever traveled far enough inland to know the land connects?

In the case of Europe, you would encounter a huge glacier you can't pass through. Which means that nobody at that time could possibly have a good map of the land connection.

In the case of Africa, the Atlas mountains are at least a little bit difficult to pass. And the Green Sahara hadn't started yet.

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

1. Why not? We have stories like this from the whole world over relating to various flood myths. And while we can be sure that there wasn't a global flood...we are also relatively certain that floods happen everywhere all the time, and differentiating the timelines of flood myths is more about geology than anything else

Have to figure that, for someone who doesn't travel far from home, your home village and the surrounding 20 to 50 miles would be the "whole world" to you.

You might not know there is more beyond that.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join