It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox blocks Wikipedia et al

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Fresh OS/Firefox install, this thing is off the charts aggressive blocking. In the past it'd be torrent sites, and so on sorts 'hopelessly' blocked, tonight not Wikipedia nor over half the other pages I tried to open to maybe do a quick thread topic. Went into the panel they "Manage Exceptions" window doesnt have a "Add Exception" button. Not anywhere I can see. WTF

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I've never had an issue with Firefox blocking any site.
Maybe check your firewall setting?

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Sure its not your ISP or DNS provider having a 'senior moment'?

Doesn't take much for some idiot to muck around with a few settings and whammo half the nets unavailable.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You may find that the operation "Manage Exceptions" does include "Add Exceptions" as a sub-option. Have you looked?

Alternatively, your machine should have the option of reversing the most recent update and reverting to a previous state of the system. I once used that to get rid of a pirate installation of Bing which had attached itself to my Firefox.
edit on 7-6-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Are one of your extensions or add-ons causing it maybe?

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

This is all it gives me:

I dont have any extensions or anything added to it.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
OK, try this.
Go back to the "content blocking" menu.
Third item down on my menu is labelled
"Custom.
Choose what to block".
If you click on that menu, the bottom item says "Heads Up! It's easy to disable blocking for sites you trust. Learn how."
Click on "Learn How", and that offers you the process.
[But see P.P.S. below]

P.S. I think I've got it now.
When you're on a site, e.g. Abovetopsecret or Wikipedia, look at the top line provided by Firefox which shows the site location - www.abovetopsecret etc.
At the beginning of that space, there is an "i" in a circle, which is actually "site information". Click on that, and one of the options given is "Turn off blocking for this site". That could be what you need.
On my screen now, there is a shield next to it, which tells me that Firefox is "blocking tracking atempts" on ATS.
In fact, on closer investigation, there are no less than 21 tracking cookies being blocked.

P.P.S. Coming back to the "Content blocking" menu; If your setting is on "Strict" ("May cause some sites to break"), you may need to tick the "Standard" box instead. Perhaps the update automatically set you on "Strict"?

edit on 7-6-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Here's what it gives me:

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Have you tried this?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Looks like Hefficide has got the answer- try that one. I take it the update was flawed in some way. (Perhap reversing the update might be worth it after all)

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I was having precisely the same problem yesterday; annoying in the extreme. I first noticed it after the most recent FF update.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That'll probably do it. Yeah. THANKS. Still dont have none of my desk stuff at home, its sitting on tile floor, so not much productivity besides playing media gets done / sorted out when there, such as having the patience to figure something like that out. Likewise, the damned MB being on the fritz. Its one of those no CMOS battery jobs, which I'd like to replace the damned thing I set the date etc then it reverts back, along with other things such as randomly system resetting, not acknowledging certain disks plugged in / not booting with certain disks plugged in (with no apparent rhyme or reason). All of which helped move me to reinstall OS.

new topics

top topics

join