It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate The Best Musician alive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Shakey Graves I love the guitar, the voice and to me it doesn't even matter what he sings about it's the music.

A little statement.

Just so you know if you have to feel dirty afterwards.
That's my number 1 Shakey Graves. And females:

Adele

Number two is Cake

And it starts to break down into favourite songs.

What's your favourite 1-3 and why is number 1 the one?

edit on 4-6-2019 by Peeple because: oops

edit on 4-6-2019 by Peeple because: add

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Willie Nelson

Kid rock
Bob Dylan
Ray Charles
Hank Williams Junior
Waylon Jennings
Tom Petty
Snoop
Roy Orbison

And a list of others. Everybody who’s anybody wants to sing with Willie .

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Tom Petty is dead. Sorry. But I'll now listen to your Wllie Nelson

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I do not know. But I do know that it is None of the above.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Fallingdown

Tom Petty is dead. Sorry. But I'll now listen to your Wllie Nelson

And so are Ray Charles and Roy Orbison.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Cake is very nice.

I don't know much about cinco de mayo, I'm never sure what its all about.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

So is Roy Orbison
and

Ray Charles (You didn’t see that one coming did you) ?

But I didn’t say either of them was the greatest musician ever.

I said Willie Nelson was.

Although Roy Orbison is the second best vocalist ever .
edit on 4-6-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

But surely you can share something you like?
This whole thing is a scam to see if I can fish new songs

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

So while these may not be the "acknowledged" best, they are the best to me right now

personal currently numero uno

all time

all time

very subjective and not for everyone

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am the best musician in the known universe.
I can crank out a mean version of "Smoke on the Water" on the kazoo.
All the chicks want me, but they are too shy to admit it.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

i never ever would expected tocotronic on ats! good choice! saw them live twice.

for me
dave gilmour as guitar player
kate bush as singer
roger waters as lyricist
haindling (bavarian multitalent)

edit on 4-6-2019 by oloufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I like Mike Patton, singer from Faith No More, Mr. Bungle and a few other bands . He has incredible vocal range and makes some interesting music.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Da Monaco Franze at the end

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I was surprised how much I liked the Blink one

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: oloufo

Da Monaco Franze at the end

A bisserl was geht immer! Greets from his hometown.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Not sure what can be debated since music is so subjective..

For me its Ihsahn from Emperor or Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth while for someone else its different people because different elements appeal to them..

anyway..

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
yay duplicate
edit on 4-6-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Bono. (Yup, you read that as... "Bono (period)"!!

But c'mon? best??

And alive?? That is tough. I go for the guitar players like Al DiMeola, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, and Sharon Isbin. There are a couple classical pianists but don't know them by name

Drummers?? Ugh. Uhm... erm... hem... haw... the dude in Blondie has a metronomic beat that I have only recently taken notice of. Terry Bozzio from Zappa and Missing Persons is a great drummer (check out, "Mental Hopscotch" for the fiery upbeat punk influenced drumming style that I love), and of course, Davey Grohlstien (sp?).

Bassist?? *scratches body part that sits on* Oh! BASSPLYR!!! (Actually, he is really good. Graduated from Berkley Music or something. We luv the same types/styles of music). John McVie knows how to move a song through the chord progressions (either leading or following) and has a distinctive style and sound. Any New Model Army bassist (current guy is Cerie Monger but I just liked the name, "Moose" lol). Patrick O`Hearn also of Zappa/MP because you play music as group and the drummer and bassist lead the group (otherwise it is just karaoke *ahem* 'Merican Idol *ahem*)

Singers? There are many out there and each lend a range of interests and styles. In no particular order (just as they come to me): Rosie Bones (Loud Hailer w/Beck), Robbie Plant (balloon something), Harriet Wheeler (Sundays), Eddie "Darth" Vader (love him or hate him, he is still a great singer. Live on Ten Legs has a great version of Animal on it), Henry Rollins (I do luv Rollins Band-era stuff, like Illumination. "Family man, family man, family... ma-ahn"), Hope Sandoval, Paul Westerberg (although I don't think he performs anymore... we're getting sooo old. But as far as I know, he's still kicking so he makes the list), and others (I have lost steam! I need a nap. Where's my geritol?).

There are some obscure bands out there too. One still kicking out albums is Guided By Voice. A PNW band called Sweet Water is still putting music out. Some band called Tool from the 1990s is putting out a new album in August. And some Pink Floyd of death-metal band called Opeth is also about to drop a new album. I still buy NIN and Ministry when I see them (just don't follow as closely as I used to).

I hope that I have touched enough different types and styles of music. Me? Been listening to the old, dead guys, like Layne and Weiland and Kurdt. And had a deep Chris Cornell fest going for a few months. And chick music, lol! I know it is a pop song but Vanessa Carlton is on my iPhone/pod/device and either I am going crazy or about to go postal!

Making my way back home through the crowd...

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

And TEOT comes along and takes it to the next level.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kimish
I like Mike Patton, singer from Faith No More, Mr. Bungle and a few other bands . He has incredible vocal range and makes some interesting music.
Another vote here for Mike, truly the most versatile, prolific, consistent and just ultra *Cool* vocalist alive today, the ease with which he can create hooks for your ear worms is incredible.
Also the most influential, copied rock vocalist I can think of.

How about 50's surf as only Mr Patton knows how, with a hook large enough for "The Meg'.....
The Air Conditioned nightmare

For songwriting skills, absolutely Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age.

Guitarist, I imagine not many here would be familiar with The Dillinger Escape Plan but founder/ guitarist Ben Weinman is a true genius, mixing mind melting poly rythmic, nuclear powered beauty that is totally next level. Takes some truly talented musicians just to keep up, always switching styles, genres and moods with ease and just writing albums with not an ounce of fat or filling, he just makes every single note count and he and his band easily rise above the unoriginal dross that makes up the majority of modern hard rock.
Not to everyone's taste but as an example this is an instrumental that is pure manna for a guitar nerd like me. Half way through til the end is a poly rythmic, mathcore section where the same rhythm is not repeated twice which is(again, to me lol) wildly impressive!
Apparently they can nail it with ease live...
When acting as a particle + when acting as a wave

And finally my fave drummer is definitely Brann Dailor from Mastodon.
This guy can bring any song to life and give it movement. I've never seen anyone else that can make a track so animated just using a drum kit.
Mastodon Dry Bone Valley

edit on 4-6-2019 by BlackIbanez because: Fix link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join