It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge cruise ship crashes into Venice harbour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The problem with ships is they don't have brakes so when it goes wrong it goes very wrong , this very wrong happened earlier today.
Video from the dock.

Video from on board.

The mayor of Venice has said cruise ships must change their routes after a huge holiday vessel crashed into a wharf and tourist boat, injuring five people.

Luigi Brugnaro said it was no longer conceivable that cruise ships could pass through the busy Giudecca canal and called for a new route to open immediately.

A video of the crash – which happened on Sunday morning after the 13-deck MSC Opera experienced an engine failure – shows people on land fleeing as the ship scrapes along the dockside, siren blaring, before ploughing into the River Countess tourist boat.

Luckily there are no reports of serious injuries.

“We have four people bruised and one wounded … it could have been much worse,” Brugnaro tweeted. “It is no longer conceivable that big ships cross the Giudecca canal. We ask for the immediate opening of the Vittorio Emanuele [canal].”

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Another one! Anyone for a cruise?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am taking my first cruise ever at the end of the month. This along with stories of sickness on board really makes me happy and not worried at all.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I am taking my first cruise ever at the end of the month. This along with stories of sickness on board really makes me happy and not worried at all.

Man take your floaties.

Both arms.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Reminds me of Speed 2 Cruise Control.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
One guy fell into the water according to the person talking on the ship video. I wonder if that person was panicking as the ship kept coming towards him in the water or if he climbed out somehow.

Engine failure? you would think that they would have backup systems in place in case something like that happened, or test them before getting too close so they could navigate out of the way. I think that the response to ban cruise ships there was a wise decision.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That should buff out, maybe a little touch up paint, be good as new.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I know several people that take cruises and they've never had a problem.
Only the bad stuff ever gets any attention.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
We took our first cruise in March and I had my concerns. Honestly, we had a blast. Our boat was the Harmony of the Seas owned by Carnival. It is currently the largest cruise ship in the world.

There was a ton of things to see and do on the boat and we had four stops throughout the Caribbean. We only experienced one night of rough seas and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The service was top notch from the waiters, house keeping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

I was skeptical but I highly recommend and will be doing it again.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

My son and daughter-in-law went and she was sea sick the whole time, miserable, nothing helped.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The engine IS their back-up system

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The commentary from the people on the boat doing the filming is hilarious. "Are you kidding me?!" "No."

The woman can't stop saying "Oh my God," each time her voice shakier than the last.

The first video isn't available. 😢

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This might work G,

View from the deck and wharf...disaster in slow motion...so weird.

edit on 2-6-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Replaced.

edit on 2-6-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Captain : "Everybody off....we're here! "

😉

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Captain : "Everybody off....we're here! "

😉

I'm betting that ship all ready has a new captain. You know he was fired in record time.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I heard it was a tugboat line that snapped and sheer momentum caused the dock crash.

Since youtube has been down most of day (for me) here's a twitter vid.

twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

It's not a big deal, but "of the Seas" boats are Royal Caribbean, not Carnival. I've taken several RC cruises and never once had an issue. Had an amazing time each trip.

new topics

top topics

join