It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Nurse Fired After 20 Years On The Job

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

So what about the politicians that we place our faith in who promise the Moon and deliver sfa?

Should they not also be punished for not keeping up on their end of the deal where election promises are concerned?

Our trust in our care professionals is already eroded considering there is profit to be had.

At least this person did what it said on the tin even she did not have the qualifications for 20 odd years.

That's more than most to be honest.

I cant stand politicians, but they have nothing to do with this.

Also, just because our trust in health care is already eroded, we should not be ok with health care professionals LYING about who they are and their qualifications.

Look, she may have actually been a good nurse, I am not debating that. But we just can not have people LYING about who they are and their licenses practicing as a licensed health care professional, not matter how long they got away with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: trollz

So all nurses are morons???

No, and that's a rather idiotic conclusion to come to. Some nurses are geniuses and perfectly capable of doing their jobs.

My point is that just because someone went to school and got a nursing license doesn't mean they're intelligent. SOME nurses are morons, which means the bar for becoming a nurse is pretty low, hence my saying that a nursing license doesn't mean anything. For the same reason, you don't celebrate someone as being a super-genius for successfully passing high school.
edit on 6/2/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

a reply to: trollz

So all nurses are morons???

No, and that's a rather idiotic conclusion to come to. Some nurses are geniuses and perfectly capable of doing their jobs.

My point is that just because someone went to school and got a nursing license doesn't mean they're intelligent. SOME nurses are morons, which means the bar for becoming a nurse is pretty low, hence my saying that a nursing license doesn't mean anything.

Yup but the same goes for every profession, some doctors are utter morons, just like lawyers, plumbers and whatever other job you want to talk about. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't receive a adequate standard of education to undertake that role. Modern day nursing is all about evidence based practice that means research into best practice, looking at best practice publications using proper evidence to back up best practice and most of that comes from nurses doing research at universities and this information then being taught to students at universities.

Just take a few moments to look at all of the academic nursing journals out there.

You (who don't do the job) might not like it but yeah, to be a nurse you need a degree. To practice without one is a disgrace, its kind of like stolen valour in my mind.

If you're a patient, you expect all those looking after you to be educated and regulated properly, what this "nurse" done totally undermines that. If she really wanted to be a nurse then put in the time like the rest of us, go get that education then do the job, don't commit fraud.
edit on 2-6-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Just pointing out that lying is synonymous with so many a profession in which people place their trust.

The government tells lies, politicians, police and other authorities spue forth bullcrap on a daily basis and expect us to lap it up without too much query or questioning.

Truth is mate when we pull the wool away from over our faces, everybody tells lies at some point or level.

This woman is no different aside from the fact that she got rumbled.
edit on 2-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Yup but the same goes for every profession, some doctors are utter morons, just like lawyers, plumbers and whatever other job you want to talk about. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't receive a adequate standard of education to undertake that role. Modern day nursing is all about evidence based practice that means research into best practice, looking at best practice publications using proper evidence to back up best practice and most of that comes from nurses doing research at universities and this information then being taught to students at universities.

I agree 100%, however I think you're assuming that this woman's knowledge and education can't be on the same level or even far above that of other nurses with formal educations. It' entirely possible that she self-taught herself to a level far above that of her peers. I don't know if that's the case, but it's entirely possible.

Formal university education is often a joke nowadays anyway. I know because I have a bachelor's degree from a college where some of my professors didn't even teach anything. One of them would literally just come in and sit silently at his desk the entire class. Another class was nothing but reading a single book. No quizzes, no test, no final exam... Just read the book you could've simply bought on your own for 1/20th of the cost of the "course".
edit on 6/2/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

I get your point OP but with a nurse, a person who can be responsible for administering medications that can kill if a mistake is made, and other life vs. death procedures, I would like them to have a least had the academic training. It doesn't guarantee a good nurse but at least they would have had to pass a few exams.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Totally agree with you.

I've seen what good nurses do and I've also seen what bad nurses can do, and Inwokd rather they at LEAST have the training before theybare let loose around patients where they can make life or death decisions.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nurse is not a doctor, they just following the “doctor’s” orders. She managed to do that in 20 years without failure? Then she is a great nurse to my book.

She should be lauded.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Qboneq

See that's it i suppose.

She did what it says on the tin for 2 decades!

Just not what it said on the degree/qualification.

Is someone who paints beautiful pictures, and yet does not possess an Arts degree, still an artist?

I would say so, even if the academic community claimed otherwise.

The proof is in the pudding or so they say, and as far as i can establish this person is not a bad cook.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qboneq
Nurse is not a doctor, they just following the “doctor’s” orders. She managed to do that in 20 years without failure? Then she is a great nurse to my book.

She should be lauded.

Nope that is not what a nurse does....

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings. First, the hospital probably hated to fire her if she gas a 20 year record but they had no choice. She would have to be fired for fraudulent representation.

Where I have issue is that many industries and govt have created these artificial barriers to entry in the form of licensing. The do it under the guise of protecting consumers and the public but the real motive is to limit competition. Doctors numbers are restricted by the AMA. Lawyers. Even barbers.

The chairman of the math dept at my college was fired after it was discovered he never actually completed his PH.d has claimed. Same thing. He was a professor for like 30 years and had won all kinds of accolades, etc. I thought he sucked as a teacher but whatever.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"If she has been a proficient 'Fake Nurse' for the past 20 years then i say no harm no foul really."

That is a fairly short-sighted statement, because there are rules for a reason. This fraud is probably the exception to the rule; that is why this woman was able to continue her charade for so long.

Any nurse, over 20 years in the job, will have experienced the death of some of the patients under their care.

Hear that knocking on the door? It's attorneys. The parking lot is full and there's a line of 'em out there.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Forgot to add. I work in a business with very low barriers to entry. Sometimes I wish it were harder to get into this industry as it attracts a lot of shady folks. However, I've met some wonderful people even without fancy degrees etc.

On the other hand, I've worked in a business ess where you pretty much cant get in without a degree from an elite school. I'd say because if the high hiring g standards people in general are smarter than average but I do feel like they miss a lot of good talent without the fancy degrees.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
A CEO of a popular tech startup had to step down a few years ago after it was discovered he didn't graduate from some school even though he claimed he did... ironic since the industry doesnt really care. I think he'd been lying about his whole career though and it finally caught up with him.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

So that's what it comes down to, this registered nurse of 20 years has deaths under her belt and this non registered nurse of 20 years has death under her belt, the insurance company has leverage to protect themselves with one and not the other.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Was this nurse actually a good nurse? The fact may be that since she had to worry about being found out, she might have been better than the nurses who actually have degrees, constantly listening to others and learning better ways to do things. Maybe she made far less mistakes than real certified nurses did just to keep from getting caught. Maybe she was nicer than nurses with degrees because she knew someone might challenge her.

We do not know the whole story, I have known some really knowledgeable people over the years who knew stuff about treating people who did not have degrees. I knew a woman who stitched people up when they needed it back when I was a kid, most people knew someone who could stitch up a gash. They even sold the stitches and needles at the Pharmacies back then, I do not know if they still do these days.

Lots of hospitals used to hire nurses aids off the streets years ago and they trained them at the hospitals. This woman did take money under false pretenses though, I do not think that is good that she got paid extra for that. There are even doctors who are not licensed and are practicing in this country, I think that is more of an issue to worry about. There are also nurses who are worthless, just ask someone you know that works in a hospital as a nurse, they will inform you about licensed nurses who are worthless.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: M5xaz
Seriously? You think people cant learn outside a classroom setting?

The lady did the job for 20 years, I'm sure if she had a record of killing people it would have been noticed. If that happened and it wasn't noticed I would question the facility, not the individual.

Personally, I'll take an unlicensed nurse with 20 years experience over a doctor fresh out of school any day.

You seem to forget she did not have that experience 20 years ago not for many years.
I have a Family member who became a nurse, started in the laundry, too night classes and worked for it. Nurses need to know meds and they can also be nurses who assist in operating room. Would you want a liar who used someone else hard work for their credentials?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

Can they not just have the person sit the applicable exam?

I mean with 20 years of practical experience on the job they are apt to pass with flying colours.

Slap on the wrist, a naughty person for committing fraud 20 years ago, but its not like they did not better themselves and the lives of others out of it.

Maybe the end justified the means?

It's not like she did the right thing, to begin with, but what's come out of it is not all wrong.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The fact is she's a liar.

She built an entire career on a lie, and then did everything she could to perpetuate the lie.

Stellar performance notwithstanding--is this the message we want young people to use as guidance on how to conduct themselves? Sure! It's perfectly okay to lie if you're good at what you do.

Showing this woman leniency would simply lop off another branch of the Tree of Human Morality. People gripe about shoddy behavior and continually-reduced standards of conduct, and in the same breath their compassion overtakes their better judgment and they advocate for a lying "underdog."

The world becomes what you want it to be, especially when you work toward that goal. Don't complain when bad kids grow up to become bad adults. They were trained from a very young age to be that way.

edit on 2-6-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: Because I lied about my degree in spelling.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Where others see a fraud and an imposter I see 20 years of commitment and service to others. Being a nurse is damn hard work, is not about the money nor the fame. She must have really wanted to do the job she did, and I imagine that if none of her qualified coworkers suspected the fraud than she probably did a good job.
I would have no problem with her treating me, even if without official qualification. People seem to put more value on an official piece of paper than on real experience and actual service. Yet this case only shows that sometimes that piece of paper is truly irrelevant.

It was wrong for her to do that 20 years ago, I agree, but I'm sure right now she is perfectly qualified as a nurse. I hope she didn't get too big of a punishment. Real criminals out there for people to worry, not somebody who worked her butt out for 20 years to help others.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join