It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levees failing along the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Historic flooding continues across the Midwest, causing levees to breach along the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers. Authorities have issued mandatory evacuation orders for parts of the region. Midwest is experiencing catastrophic flooding since mid-March, leading to historically delayed planting season.

Levees failing along the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers

Aside from the cost to life and property this is very troubling news. A historically delayed planting season could cause a lot of pain. Not only for the US, but many other places in the world. An unbelievable amount of the world food supply is grown in the Midwest.

Coupled with other problems the world is having with the food supply this is looking really bad if the crops cannot be planted soon. This could cause commodity prices to skyrocket. Time to store up on more food supplies and make some investments if you can.

Here are some other sources.

Historically delayed planting season, commodity prices rising

Soggy fields leave Midwestern farmers with few good answers

Extreme weather in Midwest could impact your grocery bill

Record flooding causes 40-foot hole in Arkansas River levee

North Little Rock urges evacuations over flooding fears

edit on 1-6-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

One of the saddest parts about this is that the media isn't reporting this none stop.
Floods and tornadoes are taring up a ton of stuff right now.

We're distracted by iran tension, nk tension, mass shooting, impeachment talks, mexico tension. China tension. Did I miss anything?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

It's corn and soybeans. Animals are eating that, right? Exported to the EU mostly? Hm. Meat will get more expansive.
But I'm honestly more worried about the people living there, it looks horrible! Do they have insurance? It looks devastating. Since mid March!? Just Jesus #ing Christ...

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

One of the saddest parts about this is that the media isn't reporting this none stop.

We're distracted by iran tension, nk tension, mass shooting, impeachment talks, mexico tension. China tension. Did I miss anything?

That about covers it..........that and AOC is afraid of insinkerator garbage disposals.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Are there ANY elected officials talking about the storm and flood damage at all?

I can't think of any....

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm glad I live in florida farm country. At least I can always get cheap meat here or hunt.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The media black-out is nothing less than bizarre. I honestly don't get it. I mean at the very least CNN should be covering this for at least a week as proof of Global Warming/Anthropomorphic Climate Change, whatever.

Then again..........I don't watch CNN so maybe they are.

I have long suspicioned that somehow, a combination of the "CNN Effect" and consolidation of the Media has essentially simply "broken" the news cycle.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Oh, and to add.

I haven't really seen any elected officials talk about anything OTHER than impeachment/spying/Russian interference, etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Midwesterner here. It's bad. The media silence is certainly crazy. My parents had to stay at my place for a week because there were no accessible roads to their house. A tornado tore down a few buildings a few weeks ago. The water damage is affecting everyone. Crop fields flooded, roads washed out, golf courses destroyed, animals displaced, and all kinds of issues. Few people have planted crops and gardens because they can't, and it's June!

I've already started stocking up on canned foods and frozen meats. I hate canned food. Usually I have my stockpile that I canned myself from my garden.

ETA: underground water travels several miles a day in normal conditions. I hope all this flooding doesn't pool Monsanto chemicals from the fields somewhere all at once. It could do a lot of harm to local ecosystems. Potentially more than it already does.
edit on 1-6-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Then again..........I don't watch CNN so maybe they are.

There not. They talk about it for about 30 sec every two hours or so but that's it.
Fox is doing the same.

It's just a ticker headline. A b story for when the other stuff gets stale.
Only thing cnn is talking about today is the shooting.

Earlier and most of today fox was talking about the impeachment stuff but right now they are in fact covering the floods.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

And that only lasted a few minutes and fox is now back to talking about what's really important....trumps rally....

We need new media in this country.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The Morganza Spillway is scheduled to be opened as it is believed the Old River Control Structures will soon be at risk of damage.

The Morganza Spillway is a safety valve for the Old River Control Structure, which keeps the Mississippi River in place. In short, the Mississippi is so high that to guarantee the integrity of the control structure the water has be diverted into the Atchafalaya Basin, the natural Mississippi spillway.

The spillway has been opened only twice before: most recently in 2011, and for the first time in 1973.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

We're still high and dry here in Kansas City, but the river is very high.

The small town my mom grew up in has the main street sand bagged, and Manhattan, KS, had to relocate the annual 4-day country music festival (one of the largest in the country - an 8 million dollar loss to the economy) because Tuttle Creek reservior is letting as much water as possible out, but they don't know if it will be enough. Everyone near the reservoir is under mandatory evac orders at a possible moment's notice because the spillway could go at any time. Meanwhile out where they're at, my sister and brother-in-law are still high and dry, but the river through their town is high enough that they could be cut off and unable to get in and out at any time and their yard is so water-logged that the whole family is having to go in and out to the car in flip-flops because it's so wet any other shoes just get soaked.

Lots of places around here have had record breaking May rainfall amounts. We didn't have the wettest May on record, but you have to go back to 1904 to find a wetter one. It's because the weather pattern got stuck. There was that heat done over the southeast and a cool trough over the west and we got stuck on the warm, moist air train with lots of spring storm patterns riding the edge of the dome right over this area.

I think that pattern is maybe breaking up some, but we still have June to go, and it's also one of the wetter months for us.
edit on 1-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I've been lucky to keep dry where I'm at. I'm in a flood plane but managed to avoid the worst of it. Our basement is flooded, but it's not too terrible. I have family in Manhattan, and I've heard some of the stories down there.

My partner and I work nights, so it's hard to maintain the lawn sometimes, and it's been so wet that we hadn't gotten the chance to tend to it for weeks. Weekends have been nothing but rain. Our neighbors actually complained to our landlord about our lawn this year! That never happens.

It's all beautiful now though.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The shooting; that figures. It will get a week or so. Sad really, I could write their scripts for them.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Yeah, the lawn here has been ... OMG, it's sort of dry, better mow whether or not it's convenient or else you'll be living in a jungle.

At least all my planters are looking like I'm a master gardener.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I didn't see it (I only watch the news for around 10 minutes every morning, and I don't watch Portuguese channels), but my boss this week spoke of the bad weather in the US, so it looks like the media here in Portugal is talking about it, which usually means that the international news organisations are spreading the news.

new topics

top topics

join