It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-Foot-Tall Stone Jars 'Made by Giants'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   

More than 100 giant stone jars, thought to have been used in burial rituals thousands of years ago, have been rediscovered at ancient sites in forests, on hillsides and along mountain ridges in remote central Laos. The carved stone jars are scattered across miles of the rugged, tiger-haunted Xiangkhouang province, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) north of Laos' capital, Vientiane, in South Asia. They have been dubbed "jars of the dead" by researchers. Several human burials, thought to be around 2,500 years old, have been found at some of these sites in Laos, but nothing is known about the people who originally made the jars

The largest and best-known jar site is the famous Plain of Jars, located in relatively open country near the town of Phonsavan. That site contains around 400 carved stone jars, some as tall as 10 feet (3 m) and weighing more than 10 tons (9,000 kilograms), and the first archaeological investigation of it was made in the 1930s.

Interesting archaeological find. The title of the article is based on a local legend. While I sincerely doubt the claim of the locals, I find it interesting that the researchers made no attempt (or the article makes no mention of it) to quash the claim scientifically. Let me explain.

The comment states "Local legends say the carved stone jars were created by a race of giants to brew rice beer, but archaeologists think they were used in burial rituals."

Isnt it a bit funny ? They disprove the purpose of the jars, yet nothing about "giants" claim. The article itself makes no attempt at all to comment on the claim of the locals.

Excavations in 2016 revealed that some of the stone jars were surrounded by pits filled with human bones and by graves covered by large carved disks of stone. These appear to have been used to mark the grave locations.

Thinking now about the bones they found, it would be easy to show if the bones were "normal" sized...or were a bit gigantic compared to normal human size. But again, nothing is mentioned. Maybe the claim is not discussed, because it was never taken seriously. I dont know. The article could be using the local legend purely for the wow effect.

Now for the jars. Some are said to be weighing up to 10 tons. While it sounds amazing, it is not all that hard to carve them. Still, one wonders about the purpose.

What do you guys think ?

www.livescience.com...

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

These were made by powdering the material and then added various ingredients and impurities, then hardened by a chemical reaction or by heat resulting in crystalline structures.

All happened inside a mold of course.

There is a slight chance that giants existed, but they were nothing like mammals.
Animate stone is an option, but evidence of such material does not exist.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Aymara people between Bolivia and Peru built similar structures 12 meters high for burial reasons. They did it before the Inca civilization conquered them. They called them "Chullpas".
edit on 30-5-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Excavations in 2016 revealed that some of the stone jars were surrounded by pits filled with human bones and by graves covered by large carved disks of stone. These appear to have been used to mark the grave locations.

Thinking now about the bones they found, it would be easy to show if the bones were "normal" sized...or were a bit gigantic compared to normal human size. But again, nothing is mentioned. Maybe the claim is not discussed, because it was never taken seriously. I dont know. The article could be using the local legend purely for the wow effect.

Now for the jars. Some are said to be weighing up to 10 tons. While it sounds amazing, it is not all that hard to carve them. Still, one wonders about the purpose.

What do you guys think ?

www.livescience.com...

Ummm...What do I think...it’s obvious from your description above...that those are cannibal cook pots...

It says...”filled with human bones”...not skeletons...

First...they brewed the rice beer...then they cooked the bodies in the beer...

“Tastes great...less filling”...

Ummm...

YouSir

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:54 AM
link   

They didn't mention giants because they aren't taking that angle seriously.
They're going with the common sense angle, which I reckon is the right thing to do

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

They didn't mention giants because they aren't taking that angle seriously.
They're going with the common sense angle, which I reckon is the right thing to do

Very wise comment, the world has had enough of new age propaganda, that exists only to hide truth.
The world has had enough of those worm like liars too, that work in the field of egyptology for example.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

They rode those giant horses outside PF Changs.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

“Tastes great...less filling”.

Takes me back a few summers..

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Occams razor.
In any two competing hypothesis the one with the fewest assumptions should be chosen.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The mechanics of physiology makes the concept of human giants impossible.

The ultimate size of any mobile creature is self limited by mass. For example, the large species of whales could not exist as land animals; they'd be unable to move. Even if they could develop a larger, stronger skeleton and more muscle to move it, that in itself further increases mass. The laws of gravity and diminishing returns cannot be broken.

Here's a decent primer on this topic:

courses.lumenlearning.com...

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The methods explained in this video can be applied to every known type of rock.

This is our past, this will be our future.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

It will all be announced soon, just wait for it,,

Ancient astronauts, haha,,,

Ancient Psychonauts!

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I do a lot of home canning and use glass jars.In my opinion,
the giants were doing the very same thing with these stone
jars,except they were "canning" people.I remember hearing
how clay jars were used to keep foods cold and fresh in the
past.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

So you're saying...these Giants were cannibals ?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I believe these giants were cannibals and check out native American
stories of red haired giants that they fought against.Now try this on
for size...I had a dream where I was told these giants are coming back!

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Haha, we were all cannibals,

Want to see an archaeologist make funny faces?

Point out human teeth marks in ancient human bones, its a good party trick,

Taboos make them very awkward,

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

The largest and best-known jar site is the famous Plain of Jars, located in relatively open country near the town of Phonsavan. That site contains around 400 carved stone jars, some as tall as 10 feet (3 m) and weighing more than 10 tons (9,000 kilograms), and the first archaeological investigation of it was made in the 1930s.

The comment states "Local legends say the carved stone jars were created by a race of giants to brew rice beer, but archaeologists think they were used in burial rituals."

What do you guys think ?

I culled the points I need not reply to... (here's my un-organized reply....to consider)

the 3 meter/ 10 ton jars were pointed out as being the exceptionally large & rare sized 'Jars'
which means that a variety of stone Jar sizes were all inter-mixed at each & every site in the Countryside

the stone Jugs were most likely for seed/bean/grain/rice storage -or even beer/saki vats...and were not intended to bury humans in
I suggest the sizes of the ancient Jugs likely indicated the contents inside... as immobile storehouses in place of warehouses

I suggest the round 'discs' that presumably served as grave markers were actually 'Lids' for the 'Jugs' of commodities
(they used bees wax or even pitch/tar to seal the Lids to the Jugs

like I suggested earlier, the 'Ancient Jugs/Lids' were probably manufactured by a much earlier culture or civil society who got exterminated somehow in a regional catastrophe... the generations which followed that High Culture only used the surviving stone Jugs they found & they never developed the skills or technology to again create carved stone Jugs that the preceding culture/race/people had left strewn all over different sites in the countryside

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

“Tastes great...less filling”.

Takes me back a few summers..

Ummm...I know...out on the plain raucously drunk on rice beer...when Oooops...Uncle Louie falls head first into the jar of brewing beer...but that’s not the worst of it...we then light a fire under his ass and braise him like a lamb shank....
What’re you going to do...but they do tend to pack on the gristle as they age...danged old shriveled bastard...

Isn’t reminisceimatizoing...fun...?

YouSir

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Occams razor.
In any two competing hypothesis the one with the fewest assumptions should be chosen.
Based on that, here is the most likely explaination.......

Them jars were made by normal size people wearing stilts
like Circus performers or plasterers do.

Award!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I agree anything that big is made for a purpose. Human jerky anyone ? if they call those jars big , how big are our crematorium's , much bigger.

top topics

join