It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who walks first - Gents or Ladies?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: LSU2018

I've always let the women go first, and the elderly. But I do see your point. I've heard a woman bitching about a guy holding the door for her and saying he must do it because he thinks she's too weak to do it on her own. That's the type of person I wouldn't mind letting the door slam on, but being too much of a gentleman, I'd still probably hold the door if placed in that situation, or laugh it off, say ok then, and walk inside.

That's probably the best attitude to have for your own peace of mind, so good for you!

I've heard such critters exist but never had the misfortune to encounter one! These days anyone can turn a courtesy into a microaggression... and good deeds have never gone unpunished anyway, so not much to do about it. Except not let them get to us! I tend to find the ones who rush and/or push thru without a "thanks" or even looking your way (often because their eyes are on their phone). Ugh. All this connectivity sure has made some rude to the folks all around them, eh?

Yes! It has! Funny you mention that. After I logged off of here and walked out of my office yesterday, I turned around to come back and grab a thumb drive. The door from the kitchen to the offices is made mostly of glass (the clear, see-through kind that you can clearly see through) and there was a chick coming my direction. Normally I'm close enough to speed step to the door and open it for them, but this time I wasn't. She never looked up from her phone as she put her foot at the bottom of the door and pushed it open enough to squeeze through and never skipped a beat or looked away from her phone. I shook my head as I grabbed the door and pulled it open and thought about logging back in to share the experience in this thread but figured I'd save it for today.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

LOL!!! That's just too funny... and too sad!

I'm always so disappointed when people are so predictable and personify the worst stereotypes. But that's exactly why we have stereotypes, eh?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: acrux

I think it was the no exchange of words.......
What's wrong with saying 'excuse me'?

What's wrong with HABITUALY KNOWING that a person getting onto an elevator will need access to the buttons to select a floor

edit on 30-5-2019 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: acrux

If you would rather get accused of sexual harassment.... then don't say 'excuse me'.

I am not the only poster to say that you could have said 'excuse me'.

Alternatively.... you could have said what you wrote in your post to me! But you didn't..... you said nothing.
edit on 30-5-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Your choice, sir:

Response A): (Holding door for female, who resents it). "I'm not holding the door because I think you're a lady; I'm holding the door because I know I'm a gentleman."

Response B): (not holding door for female, who resents it.). "When a lady shows up around here, I'll hold the door for her..."

Back when I was young enough to go to dances, there were three varieties of the female of the species. Girls, ladies and women.

I think we're running low on ladies. I got one of the last ones. Nobody dances anymore anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join