It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure where to put this one!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Not too sure where to put this post, so I'll plop it here in GCC. It could have gone in Philosophy, or Current Events, or Future of Mankind (wait...is that a forum here on ATS? If not, maybe it should be!). I thought about titling it "Weird S# you see on an airplane", but thought better of it. Anyway...

I was riding on the airplane not too long ago and there was a teenage kid in the seat next to me. He seemed like a normal enough kid. After we got airborne he reaches in his backpack under the seat and pulls out this toy bicycle. It was about 2-3 inches long and looked like a miniature BMX bike. At first I thought it might be a toy model or something, but then he starts playing with it. He looked kind of old to be playing with a little toy like this, but I just sat there and watched. He's wheeling this bike around on the tray table, and pretending like he's jumping it through the air (making all these crowd sounds along with this). Then he's wheeling it up the seatback in front of him, and pretending to jump through the air, spinning the handlebars with his fingers, etc. This goes on for quite a while (like nearly an hour). At first he acted kind of shy, but now he was going full bore, calling out different specific maneuvers and so forth (again, all with crowd sounds he's making). It was like he was the announcer, the rider and the crowd all in one.

So finally out of curiosity I asked him..."What is that thing?"
He says..."It's a 'Finger Bike'....and goes back to doing his tricks, announcements and crowd noises.

Another hour goes by and this kid is still going at it. I leaned over and asked..."So, is that like a thing...Finger Biking??"
He says..."Yeah. And I'm practicing. I'm going to try out for the US Finger Biking Team for the Olympics". I'm actually a dual-sport athlete, and I also participate in Finger Skateboarding.

I honestly didn't know how to respond to that, so I just said..."Cool" (in a monotone sort of way). I mean, what else could I say?

I sat there for the balance of the flight and contemplated Finger Biking, the Olympics...and the future of Mankind.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I thought he was putting you on, and then I looked it up. Talk about sports for the helicopter parented.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hasn't this been around for a while, along with finger skateboards?

In fact, I thought they were over, since the spinners came around.

At least he wasn't on his phone. LOL

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I remember my son had a finger skateboard a few years ago.
It is one step above video gaming.
At least their fingers get some exercise.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Are helmets and knee pads required?

I guess this is no different than kids playing with the old green army men or action figures.

But if this is an Olympic "sport" you can stop the world cuz I want to get off...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I honestly didn't know how to respond to that...

Sounds like a dangerous sport, one mistake could result in a offensive hand gesture and banishment from facebook..not worth the risk...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
When I was younger, the 'cool kids' who liked football were into a tabletop game called Subbuteo;

They would still play actual football, but the tabletop game seemed to suffice when it was raining or whatever.

Subbuteo (sub-(Y)OO-tee-oh) is a group of table top games simulating team sports such as association football, cricket, both codes of rugby and hockey. The name is most closely associated with the football game, which for many years was marketed as "the replica of Association Football" or Table Soccer.

Wiki

The lad next to you on your flight probably BMX's and skateboards too, I'd guess,

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I'm going to try out for the US Finger Biking Team for the Olympics".

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I thought he was putting you on, and then I looked it up. Talk about sports for the helicopter parented.

Was going to look it up but.....thanks! (Big Facepalm)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Lol on your flight experience. Do you deem finger biking to be more or less embarrassing than air guitar? I'd say that mankind has been up to ridiculous antics for longer than we'd like to admit, and that our future will look a lot like our past but with gadgets

Here is the so-called world champion of air guitar for your watching displeasure.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I mean, the fingers also get plenty of exercise playing vidja games. Thats kinda how they are played..

Fingerbikes and boards have been around for at least a couple of decades. Hell, I loved the things when I was even older than the kid in the OP. It provided a great alternative for when I couldn't do the real thing.

As for an actual "US Team," well, folks will monetize just about anything. Or at least try..

ETA: I suppose just be happy he wasnt doing the real thing!
edit on 29-5-2019 by Serdgiam because: Squirrels... Squirrels everywhere

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Talk about mad skills...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A part of me wants to dislike the idea, it wants to resist even the notion. However, after giving it some consideration I'm glad that things like "Finger Biking" exist.

It's weird and it's stupid but we all have our own personal weird and stupid. Despite what the EGO wants to say about it, nobody's weird & stupid is better than someone else weird & stupid.

If this activity brings joy to the life of certain people and maybe gives some kid/teen an outlet to express themselves then Grind, Bar Spin and Stall your heart out.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggleNuts42

This is a great point.
Thanks for the perspective.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggleNuts42

I'm not upset it exists, but the idea that there are "Olympics" for it just seem to me like overcompensating for the idea that some kids really wanted to go out for actual sports and their parents were too afraid they'd get hurt, so they're stuck pretending with their fingers.

There are all kinds of things that take great dexterity with your fingers that aren't sports.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggleNuts42
A part of me wants to dislike the idea, it wants to resist even the notion. However, after giving it some consideration I'm glad that things like "Finger Biking" exist.

It's weird and it's stupid but we all have our own personal weird and stupid. Despite what the EGO wants to say about it, nobody's weird & stupid is better than someone else weird & stupid.

If this activity brings joy to the life of certain people and maybe gives some kid/teen an outlet to express themselves then Grind, Bar Spin and Stall your heart out.

If they enjoy it, more power to them... however, let's not delude ourselves and call it a "sport".

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm big fan of the white
team for the marble Olympics. We have been training, getting ready for Tokyo in 2020. The British have already been disqualified for using steroids and performance enhancing drugs.

edit on 29-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Love me some marble racing!

It truly stands above all other alleged "sports." In a world gone mad, it is a respite.. an oasis, if you will.. of resplendent sanity and peace.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: olaru12

Love me some marble racing!

It truly stands above all other alleged "sports." In a world gone mad, it is a respite.. an oasis, if you will.. of resplendent sanity and peace.

I totally agree...Let's just pray the committee can keep it an amateur sport and not let organized crime bring in the wagering and associated corruption.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm big fan of the white.

Racist!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join