It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Delaware County cop empowers at her new, no-men-allowed fitness studio

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
www.philly.com...

"High-intensity, women-only fitness studios have become increasingly popular across the country as women get fed up with being hit on, eyed, “mansplained” to, or otherwise intimidated at the gym, which can be a testosterone-fueled environment — particularly in the weight room."

On the surface this seems fairly exclusionary but nothing in life is ever as easy as it seems.
My issue isn't with this exclusionary approach as much as the hypocrisy that would take over with an all-male , where all the punching dummies were women type scenario.

Double standards drive me crazy and I can only imagine the SJW rage if I said i was opening a gym that just allowed men.

Again I have no issues with a gym that provides a safe place for women where they don't have to feel a certain way. That seems like a solid idea to me if you can't find a mixed gym that gives the same. My issue is what the suspected outcome would be if someone tried to open a male only gym.

edit on 27-5-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Having gone to gyms and seen all of that go on, with no attempts by management to stop it, I quite see the reasoning behind it.

As for those dummies? Every self-defense studio, many dojos, have the same things in them. Having those, unless specifically stated, is apropos of nothing.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A male work out only gym. Hmm, now that is funny.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I personally don't have a problem with gender based organizations. There is a level of bonding and solidarity that strengthens the group members as individuals and fosters a spirit of exchange and mentoring.

I believe the modern derision of these organizations is cultually destructive.

I abhore gyms, I work out at home as I never liked the fashion show ego driven individuals.

I certainly understand women wanting to work out in relative gender exclusive peace...do transgendered women get to go too?

I just read a story of an NCAA male track star, transgendering to a woman and now breaking all kinds of records as a "woman."

I believe we have lost our collective minds with all of the identity crappola

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Having gone to gyms and seen all of that go on, with no attempts by management to stop it, I quite see the reasoning behind it.

As for those dummies? Every self-defense studio, many dojos, have the same things in them. Having those, unless specifically stated, is apropos of nothing.

Like I said a few times in my post I have no issues with an exclusionary approach to provide a safe or neutral space for a race, gender, religious belief or other. Such a space will not in anyway prevent me from hitting my goals in life.

I realize that the gym I go to may be the exception when it comes to it just being a place to workout vs a place for people to be animals.

My point in making this post is how would people respond to a gym that said "sorry no women allowed"
edit on 27-5-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: seagull

Like I said a few times in my post I have no issues with an exclusionary approach to provide a safe or neutral space for a race, gender, religious belief or other. Such a space will not in anyway prevent me from hitting my goals in life.

I realize that the gym I go to may be the exception when it comes to it just being a place to workout vs a place for people to be animals.

My point in making this post is how would people respond to a gym that said "sorry no women allowed"

The answer would be mass hysteria, and women suing to be allowed in of course

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
My gyms (including boxing) have always been co-ed...and nobody seems to mind.

Nice to have a little sweaty feminine scenery in front of you during squat-thrusts.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I think it would very much depend upon where the gym was, how it went about it. But yes, I suspect that someone(s) would make a fuss.

I honestly don't much care if its exclusionary or not...if I don't like there are likely a dozen different places to go instead...

Even here in rural Alabama (I still have hard time believing I'm actually typing that...), there are, at least, 3 gyms, and two martial arts studios within a twenty minute drive...

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

As you put it I also can understand the desire for a female only gym setting.
As to the notion of how it would look if some one tried to open a male only gym, well, that has been done. For centuries. I am not familiar enough with histories of other cultures but here, in western culture, it has historically been a male dominated society.

Male only clubs and organizations that have excluded women were clearly part of that social fabric. Bars and drinking establishments have a strong history of being for men only, that is other then the women who were hired to serve and ''entertain and amuse''.

So yes, I can see the suspicion of hypocrisy on the part of females here but to my mind even that pales to the hypocrisy on the part of men who for one reason or another are under the impression that this is NOT still a male dominated society, because it still is.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Nice to have a little sweaty feminine scenery in front of you during squat-thrusts.

Zowee. Your reply hits it straight on the head as to the reason for some women wanting a female only gym.
While you may be a male who can control his sexual impulses and not offend women by acting out in a manner that is sexual you can not guarantee that others would not. One of the reasons for this type of gym is I suspect that women are very tired of being sexualized when they do not want to be sexualized.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
What about the money the customers hand them with the man on the front? Just bein silly.
edit on 27-5-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

"High-intensity, women-only fitness studios have become increasingly popular across the country as women get fed up with being hit on, eyed, “mansplained” to, or otherwise intimidated at the gym, which can be a testosterone-fueled environment — particularly in the weight room."

I think the 80s are calling you...Obama...

To be honest I go to 24 hr and there are a good number of women there all the time and I have yet to see a women "mansplained". People are very courteous so the days of guys hitting on women and wimpy men getting ridiculed about the light weight they lift I think are something from the past. I have noticed over the years that headsets kind of drive people into their own little workout worlds anyways at the gym.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I just had another thought. In a gym there are two different types of users. Users who are in shape and already fit, working to stay fit and the other type being people who are not fit but seeking to become fit or at least finding a way to better health.

IN a gym setting where people do not wear clothing that completely camouflages physical appearance, bodies can be ''on display. For those females who are already fit the attention that they may get from males may not be a problem. But for women who are not already fit, who are there to improve their physical health I can easily see a sense of being shunned by all the attention that the fit females get.

There would be a reluctance to even go into a gym of that sort where their already questionable self image would be looked down on by the opposite sex. A female only gym would be much more conducive to a wider variety of women to join.
And that in the end is what gyms are for, to improve peoples health and fitness.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Zowee. Your reply hits it straight on the head as to the reason for some women wanting a female only gym.
While you may be a male who can control his sexual impulses and not offend women by acting out in a manner that is sexual you can not guarantee that others would not. One of the reasons for this type of gym is I suspect that women are very tired of being sexualized when they do not want to be sexualized.

Quid pro quo.

THEY get plenty of eye candy from me, in return.

Be honest...and admit it...women check out men...just as much as men check out women.
Been that way since the beginning of human history.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Certainly. And for those people who go to the gym to either ''check out'' or ''be checked out'' then they know where to go.
But here though it has been made clear that there are some who, even though this is the ''way since the beginning of human history'' no longer want to work out under those conditions.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

...and BTW,...WHAT is to stop some women from "sexualizing" other women in these 'Female Only' gyms?

I hear tell about these people called 'homosexuals'.

HOW is it that women "sexualizing" women...is any less right or wrong than men "sexualizing" women (all things being equal)?

Should these gyms forbid homosexuals from joining, as well,...in order to eliminate ANY and ALL "sexualizing"?
edit on 27-5-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
A male work out only gym. Hmm, now that is funny.

One might be considered 'gay' in this case.

Hmmm... Wonder, just out of curiosity, is she perhaps a lesbian? I mean, If I could open a gym with only women participating, that would be pretty cool. Though, I'm a male chauvinist pig

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Women only gyms have been around since the 60's. Look up Elaine Powers.

I still don't see why you are outraged over this.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Meh, hypocritical double standards where race/gender/orientation have become all too common place in US society these days. POC "only welcome" days at US universities; female only gyms, Black Entertainment Network, whatever.

I guess the only appropriate PC response is ........no response at all. Let them do their thing, avoid interacting with them while and where they do it and bite your tongue and say nothing.

Whatever...........

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I would guess thats pretty much the idea. Plus it gives women the space to do what they enjoy most, i.e. kibbitz and bitch about the men in their lives.

Where things will go toes up is when some male transexual demands to join. And yea, it will happen and when the real women complain, the lawsuits will be filed. Kinda fun to watch actually.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join