It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gillette: Transgender Shaving Ad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Gillette released an ad showing a transgender (female to male) shaving for the first time with his father. All of us guys know this is one of those special moments growing up. Dad shows you how to shave. Dad shows you how to tie a tie. Etc.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers. Earlier this year, they released an ad trying to show support for the MeToo movement by putting down "toxic masculinity."

Trans folks are a very small percentage of the population. I'd love to see the marketing research study showing that targeting this very small subset of people is worth alienating your core customer base. The only thing I can think of is that Gillette has decided they want to focus on women and this kind of social justice advertising would help with female customers.

Whatever happened to just making a good product? Why do you need to make a political or social statement? I've never bought any brand because I thought the brand was "woke".

Anyways, figured it would be a good discussion topic.

+6 more 
posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
All the cool kids use Dollar Shave Club anyways.

+4 more 
posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Full disclosure... a female here who found out the wonders of electrolysis a long time ago so I don't need much upkeep.

On that note...

Harry's Razors

Gillette was always a crap product for women anyways.

Much less transgenders.

Going all PC is just desperation on their part.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

My guess is they're actually trying to appeal to more than men.

Their slogan used to be "the best a man can get".

Welp, there's a lot of competition these days, and they're expensive the same way Grey Goose is. They set the price at a premium without providing a superior product.

No offense to anyone, but if this is the final straw for using Gillette, you've been getting got for a hot minute.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

My guess is they're actually trying to appeal to more than men.

Their slogan used to be "the best a man can get".

Welp, there's a lot of competition these days, and they're expensive the same way Grey Goose is. They set the price at a premium without providing a superior product.

No offense to anyone, but if this is the final straw for using Gillette, you've been getting got for a hot minute.

I guess their slogan is going to be "The best a trans can get..."

I don't use Gillette. My MBA is in brand management / marketing. I just don't see the benefit of using a high controversial group in your advertising that could alienate your core customers.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Technically isn't this gillettes "triple" down.

I could have sworn they followed up their "all men suck except for the black guy" original add with some maybe UK specific ad that just added more fuel to their "woke" fire.

Truthfully though, it must be hard being some disconnected large mega corp that has to try to pretend to be human and wade through the online bs of "woke" politics to craft it's next great ad campaign. I mean, sure, you could just sell your product on it's own merit. But where is the fun in that. Might as well get into the political arena and alienate/insult a large portion of your consumer base while scoring "points" with a bunch of non revenue outlets.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Honestly though, in the race to the bottom, gillette is failing behind other woke companies like BK.

BK's recent roll out of suicide meals and their line of shakes meant for political discord/violence are really trending hard with pink haired sky screaming beta's and catlady's alike.

They (gillette) gots some catchin up to do.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

But their product sucks if you are shaving anything more than a male face.

I get it that men don't shave their legs (except for possibly DB) so you probably don't understand how much their product sucks at that thing alone.

Their "Venus" version of a razor doesn't take into account that some of our hair is a lot coarser than anything you are going to have on a face... so the blade spacing alone makes it impossible to actually accomplish anything besides clogging the blades.

Much less other more sensitive areas.

So it's a little late to get into that game for them.

Just a product opinion...

edit on 26-5-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Did he also show him how to Shave " Down There " ? ....Geez , The Worlds gone Crazy !

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Did he also show him how to Shave " Down There " ? ....Geez , The Worlds gone Crazy !

We have reached the "enlightened" point as a society where anyones personal interpretation of reality should be not only accepted, but celebrated as what we should all strive for.

Surely the most obvious sign of a downturn and eventually will be marked as a pivot point once we, as a society, have declined to the point of no return.
edit on 26-5-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

To be honest I hate razors and haven't used them in years.

I don't want to shave my face every morning, it's time consuming and uncomfortable, especially in the summer.

I'm sorry society. I have a beard. It's an apathy beard. I'm not making a statement with it, it just grows, and I don't have the care to prevent it other than a trim every couple of weeks.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers.

Because it's trendy

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I have been sporting a beard for a year or so..just got tired of shaving, it's been nice not having to.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am a bit confused. So its a he that was a her? In the ad it looked like there really was a beard there. Is that from hormones I guess? Did he used to be a bearded lady or what?

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Could be hormone treatments

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers.

Because it's trendy

I remember when increasing sales and profits used to be trendy.......

What a sucker I was. Now, as an investor, I'm not looking for roi, i'm looking for being able to leverage "wokeness" to my friends at dinner parties when I talk about my banging portfolio.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

We are in crazy times, I guess though..it remains to be seen how they do with this strategy.

being able to leverage "wokeness"

Good analogy!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

We are in crazy times, I guess though..it remains to be seen how they do with this strategy.

being able to leverage "wokeness"

Good analogy!

It seems like an opportune time to start a new cryptocurrency. "Wokecoin", invest in your wokeness with Wokecoin.

He who holds the most, is the woke-est.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Lumenari

To be honest I hate razors and haven't used them in years.

I don't want to shave my face every morning, it's time consuming and uncomfortable, especially in the summer.

I'm sorry society. I have a beard. It's an apathy beard. I'm not making a statement with it, it just grows, and I don't have the care to prevent it other than a trim every couple of weeks.

To each their own...

For me, I don't get into the Euro idea of having enough hair in my armpits to be able to braid them and I like bald in other places as well.

Electrolysis has been a very happy thing for me but I like to be well groomed and it isn't a perfect science.

So razors are still a part of my life.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Maybe start a religion, or cult ..The Nondescript Genders Holy Church Of Wokeology, gotta nice ring to it, get some tax free status and your set!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join