It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken & Tornados!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, there's Chicken & Waffles, but what about Chicken & Tornado's?

The chicken leg/thigh quarters have been on the Traeger for about an hour smoking. Got some big weather headed this way. I'm hoping to get another 40 minutes on smoke, and then go high to get some corn grilled up and finish the chicken off.

Going to be a wonderful 'cookout' dinner for Memorial Day weekend, but seems like we're racing some storms (and some big ones).

I really want to grill the corn and finish the chicken on high heat before saucing with our fabulous Carolina sauce (with horse radish and some tomato).

Geez, never thought I'd be watching radar images to consider my smoking/grilling strategy!

Know this much...the chicken and corn will SURVIVE!!!!

Good eats!

P.S. - Weather be damned!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hope you escape the tornadoes part

Meal plan sounds wonderful!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The plan B chicken saved my day many times. I just had a guacatuna sandwich. With that name you don't need a recipe. Trying to stay light for tomorrow's hunt.

All good if you have beer.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thought this might be about chicken and those spiral potato things you can get at fairs...disappointed at first.

Then I saw leg quarters! My favorite way to grill em is marinating in italian dressing. Cheap stueff works just fine. Couple hours in the marinade, the onto the smoker.

(used to do this all the time on the weber, indirect)

smoke for about hour and a half

whilst that is going on, make a sauce. New bottle of same itlalian dressing, whole bottle, and a stick of butter. Simmer it for a while, til reduced, by, maybe half...

Turn smoker to high heat (not all the way high!!!) and baste with sauce. Charred skin means its done

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Sounds like a helluva last meal if nothing else.

Prayer sent...after I wiped the pavlovian drool from my mouth.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Chicken sounded great until you mentioned horse radish. That shouldn't even be considered food. LOL

Be safe out there!

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Epilogue - The tornadoes went north of us. We got dumped on with rain...but the smoker was just inside the edge of the garage happily plugging away. The dogs hid next to Mom when the thunder came, but yours truly persevered. And...

As promised...the Chicken and the Corn SURVIVED!

In fact, it was fabulous, the chicken was the best ever actually. Only hitch was we ran out of butter for the corn (we had some, but you can never have enough butter on grilled corn!)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Awww...horseradish is GREAT stuff! Especially homemade horseradish! You don't know what you're missing!

The trick is getting real horseradish (and just horseradish). Most of what passes off as 'horseradish' in many stores is really a yucky mayonnaise sauce with some horseradish in it. That stuff is horrible. Real 'prepared' horseradish is to die for.

The horseradish we had last night was just horseradish, vinegar, salt and a touch of sugar.

I know some guys out in Kansas who make their own 'pickled horseradish' which is just off-the-hook crazy-good!! We'll sit around after pheasant hunting and chow down on smoked fish and grilled fresh brats all topped with horseradish. That, and a good quart or so of Perma-Frost to wash it down...OH MAN!! That's livin' large right there!!

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
FDC,

I am going to take your lead and chance storms here for some burgers and well smoked chops. Seems you survived those thank goodness. I would live underground if that was going on around me as often as it does in the middle of the US.

I am chicken of Tornado's having lived in Indiana when at 3 YO a big one Cat 5 I am sure now that hit. Everything alive including the very next farm over neighbors, their farm animals and equipment plus just a few miles down the same road, a full country church all of those people and animals were slaughtered like it went threw a thrasher, I saw only the animals. I lived in Memphis when one hit within 100 ft of my bedroom skipped over Graceland.Then we lived in other flat places with high danger for Tornado's like Arkansas for a short time as a boy.

I am now a converted hill people. If they will accept me. I have found a gorge or two to live downwind of storm fronts that push the storm cells when they get near that valley or the set of valley's that crisscross naturally.

ETA

One trick to know the area has less Tornado's is the height of the old trees in the area. Those that are no where near a power line have some real tall trees for the area is your clue. Texas is in trouble the trees are all short everywhere I went like San Antonia and travels down Interstate 10 or Route 66.
edit on 27-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Glad the tornado missed you. I have never in my life seen one. That would scare me to death. As for horse radish...no...just no! LOL

new topics

top topics

join