It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much pushback on Andrew Jackson leaving the 20?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf

So this "debate" has had me thinking.

I admire Andrew Jackson for several reasons, but one came to mind.

The man was adamantly opposed to a central banking system for several reasons. In my mind, having him on currency in a system that he opposed is more disrespectful than taking him off.

So is it just who's getting put on, and if so why?

“Why would they want to take him off?” would be a better question, because there is no reason to.

If I were him, I wouldn't want my face to be on something I fought against (our current banking system).

One of the prerequisites of being on the bills, I think, is that they are deceased. So his feeling on the subject doesn’t matter.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

The man was adamantly opposed to a central banking system for several reasons. In my mind, having him on currency in a system that he opposed is more disrespectful than taking him off.

“Why would they want to take him off?” would be a better question, because there is no reason to.

The stated excuse is that we need more "diversity" in our currency and you know that Jackson was an evil white slave owner, so he and his legacy should be erased from modern memory.

You know... revisionist history.

Then it is an act of public relations, nothing more.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yes it is.... just who they want to replace him with.

Do you honestly think that trump wants this on his legacy?

I say we put President Trump on the $20

I believe history will be very kind to him. They will point to his patriotisim, and accomplishments in a favorable way.

At the same time, they will point at those who harassed him daily, and those who fell for the nonsense that was pedaled in the liberal media, and ask how could people have been that foolish, and corrupt?

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

This nonsense that the delay is because "bad Orange Man" is racist, is just that, nonsense.

So, what is the delay, really? Could it be because Trump campaigned against the "political correctness" of putting Harriet Tubman on the bill, because ultimately, Harriet Tubman offends Trump's base?

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I'm with you.

Comes down to it, I doubt many people are going to care much. Others will do a fair impression of an owl... "Who?"

Of course, many of those same people have no clue who Andrew Jackson was, or what he did, either.

I read about Harriet Tubmann, years and years ago in elementary school. I found her to be altogether admirable...and that opinion hasn't changed over the ensuing decades.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
My main point of contention is if we're going to "virtue signal" our currency now, why not just put Jussie Smollett on the 20!

I mean, to be fair, using Jackson purely because he's a historical figure is kind of virtue signaling. We're using his image on something he's against.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

If I were him, I wouldn't want my face to be on something I fought against (our current banking system).

One of the prerequisites of being on the bills, I think, is that they are deceased. So his feeling on the subject doesn’t matter.

You wishes and life work be damned after you die?

We use your image as we decide?

While I see your point, I'm not a fan.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Trump just doesn't want the fact that a black woman was put on US currency during his presidency.

Period.... We all know why the delay.

Here is your left narrative...

Mr. Mnuchin, concerned that the president might create an uproar by canceling the new bill altogether, was eager to delay its redesign until Mr. Trump was out of office, some senior Treasury Department officials have said.

How does this make any sense? First, Obama had 8 years to do it and didn't while finally having his Secretary put in the change almost at the end of his 8 years, so this was pushed on to the next President.

The two dollar bill and dollar coin has been used in the past for just this purpose of short term runs for people that have been note worthy in our history and Trump has suggested this.

Trump doesn't like the revisionist history movement going on right now that the progressive left seems to want to change the past, and I don't either...everything needs to be in the proper place good or bad we do not need to reinvent history.

Here is where it really doesn't make sense, lets say Trump cancels it, so what would stop the next President from just easily opening it back up? Canceling the new bill or waiting until Trump is out of office is exactly the same thing...geez dumb lefttards...

The Secretary has stated their top priority is anti-counterfeit measures and this has pushed the Harriet Tubman $20 to 2028 which since the left can't do math is actually into the next president's second term or two Presidents from now...

But but its Trump...

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I say we put President Trump on the $20

The have him scheduled to get on right around the same time as Jimmy Carter.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
How about we take all portraits of our money?

The only reason anyone is suggesting a change is to make a stupid gesture for one half baked reason or another.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here's an idea. Let's not put any person on our currency. That way we can avoid any more inane debates about it in the future.

And leftists, if you're going to remove racists from our currency then why isn't there a call to remove FDR? Since he was largely response for the heinous redlining policies during the New Deal that put many African American communities into the poverty stricken state they're still in today. Or is that too inconvenient for you since you aim to use like policies for your own selfish gain?

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

you are full of poop again

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If it is going to reflect history in a true way, they should put Obama on a Three dollar Bill.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Maybe just put Pokemon on there - these kids could learn to save money. Ya gotta catch 'em all or something like that.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Paper money, cash, really....who cares?

In my retail establishment it's all plastic. Not even checks.

of course I'll take cash, but you must provide 2 forms of ID and proof of residency.
edit on 25-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
People don't want Jackson off the 20 prolly because we are to use to his face there. Change is tough but it is inevitable.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
At this rate, going into a gas station to break a twenty will be looked upon as a racial offense/hate crime.

"Oh whats wrong with the twenty dollar bill, racist?"

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The push back is because we have more important things going on than changing the global currency to appease a tiny minority of raving TDS sufferers.

How many Obama useless legacies has Trump swept under the rug now?
3?
4?

The problem is many people on the left see politics as a sport. Where winning is far more important than being fair and balanced.

Ocasio-Cortez:
"Facts Don't Matter When You're 'Morally Right."

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Trump certainly identifies with Jackson's personality.

Unfortunately he may be a lot more like obama as far as monetary policy. Probably even obama plus.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
The push back is because we have more important things going on than changing the global currency to appease a tiny minority of raving TDS sufferers.

How many Obama useless legacies has Trump swept under the rug now?
3?
4?

The problem is many people on the left see politics as a sport. Where winning is far more important than being fair and balanced.

Ocasio-Cortez:
"Facts Don't Matter When You're 'Morally Right."

Says the guy who supports a president with historic budget deficits and just declared 2 emergencies to circumvent Congress.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join