It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

She's Almost gone...Theresa May FINALLY to resign and leave on 7th June....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
As I see it, British voters need to assure themselves of one thing and that is that although the Tory leadership hopefuls are filling the air with policy projectiles flying in every direction, regarding social policy concerns, Ireland, renegotiations, compromises, etc., their default position, which they will revert to when all else fails, and all else will fail, is "eff the serfs, we're in charge here, we're running this economy without interference from the EU and we're taking the spoils", in other words, a "no deal" Brexit.

This is why Boris the Teflon Johnson, is leading the Tory leadership race. He understands what is laid out in the paragraph above, and some 113 Tory MPs also understand it. The others haven't come around to it yet, but they will eventually.

I think the only way a "no deal" Brexit can be prevented is through another election where Labour campaigns on the promise of a second referendum. If Labour is beaten in that endeavour, Britain's fate is sealed for better or worse. There will be a "no deal" Brexit.

Don't be fooled by hopeful presentations of fantasies.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

It's funny how the anti Brexit lot are marketing this as a Tory stitch up.
For most of the forty years of our membership, it has been Tory governments pushing the EU agenda. Signing treaties that enshrine EU rules into law without even bothering with the people.

Now we voted to leave, the big lie of it being a right wing thing is being pushed to extremes.

People on the right and the left want out. That is the truth of it.
Look back at speeches by people such as Tony Benn and Bob Crow and you will see the truth of it, membership of the EU is anathema to the real left in this country.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I have been following this for a while. I know that a lot of people on the left and right want out of the EU, but what I am referring to is the "no deal" Brexit. Virtually all commentators from all points on the economic and political horizon in Britain caution against a no deal Brexit. They do so because they see it being accompanied by an unacceptable level of economic disturbance that will go on for a prolonged period.

However, having said that, there is a segment of the Tory Party, a significant number of MPs, who do want a no deal Brexit, and have gone so far as to consider attempting to force a no deal Brexit by proroguing parliament, at an opportune moment, so as to force it to pass the agreed upon leaving date in order to trigger the default automatic exit of the country from the EU, without having agreed a deal.

These are serious people in the Conservative Party who do not mind the risk of economic disturbances.

There are such people on the left as well, but of a different sort. They are emotional irrationalists, in my opinion. They voted and their votes counted, but they are like football fans who get very emotionally involved with a team without any serious involvement in managing it.

The majority of people on the right and on the left, who support Brexit, want a deal of some sort. Unfortunately not enough of them want the deal that was actually negotiated, for a variety of reasons.

The politicians really pushing for a no deal Brexit are on the right of the Tory party, or even further right, in the general vicinity of Nigel "Trump toady" Farage. These people are strongly connected to financial interests with deep pockets who are paying for their political service. Both the Trump toady and the teflon Johnson have been connected to big paydays that don't normally happen to honest people.

My opinion is not that Brexit is a Tory stitch up, but that a "no deal" Brexit is a stitch up by big money employing certain politicians in the Tory party to do their political work for them. These people, the politicians, are very unscrupulous. Fantasies have been held out to the public throughout the Brexit process, from before the referendum vote until now.

The EU has stated unequivocally, multiple times, that they are not going to reopen negotiations on the Brexit deal, and yet candidates for the Tory leadership have gotten up before the public and said that they are going to renegotiate Brexit. This kind of talk is outrageous and I am amazed that the British public put up with it. It only serves, like a tour guide on a bus, to describe the sights to blindfolded passengers, while the bus takes them to a completely different destination.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

When you get right down to it, what is No deal?
It's simply leaving the EU without any treaty obligations. That's all.
It's not a destination per se, more of a starting point.

Leaving and any deals are separate.

Now, if you want to remain in the EU but worry that sticking two fingers up to the democratic mandate might be too far, what do you do?
Demand a "deal" that ties us to as much of the EU as possible. Simples.

Leaving is one thing and working out trading arrangements and deals involving cooperation with the EU are separate.
We don't have to charge tarriffs on EU goods, there isn't some universal law that says we do, neither do we have to round up EU citiens and throw them on the boat back over the water, all this obfuscation over deals and no deals just misses the point about the peopple we elect being accountable for their actions and policies.

Big business doesn't need to stitch up a no deal, they already have zero hours contracts, minimum wage stagnation, the destruction of working conditions and off shoring thanks to the EU, if anything, they stand to lose their ability to replace a workforce that won't be exploited with one that will if we leave without a deal.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't see things the way you see them at all. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join