It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the public believes is false?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Barbara Honegger, studied at Stanford University

Answered Nov 25 2014 · Upvoted by Mark Berger, former Legislative aide for a United States Senator.
I am the source for this quote, which was indeed said by CIA Director William Casey at an early February 1981 meeting of the newly elected President Reagan with his new cabinet secretaries to report to him on what they had learned about their agencies in the first couple of weeks of the administration.

The meeting was in the Roosevelt Room in the West Wing of the White House, not far from the Cabinet Room. I was present at the meeting as Assistant to the chief domestic policy adviser to the President. Casey first told Reagan that he had been astonished to discover that over 80 percent of the 'intelligence' that the analysis side of the CIA produced was based on open public sources like newspapers and magazines.
As he did to all the other secretaries of their departments and agencies, Reagan asked what he saw as his goal as director for the CIA, to which
he replied with this quote, which I recorded in my notes of the meeting as he said it. Shortly thereafter I told Senior White House correspondent Sarah McClendon, who was a close friend and colleague, who in turn made it public. Barbara Honegger [email protected]

Did CIA Director William Casey really say, "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false"?

The above excerpt comes directly from Barbara Honegger, who was at the meeting in February 1981 when then CIA director William Casey responded to then President Ronald Reagan.

I wonder how many things/topics today have many Americans come to believe to be true, but are in fact disinformation and falsities?

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
So, in other words, what was written in the media was used as evidence for the CIA to utilize, they were not even checking whether it was correct or not. I sure hope they are not doing that anymore, but evidently the FBI has been doing that unless they are forced to actually research if the information is correct. So the Mueller report took so long because they actually had to verify things and could not just take the crap media was spouting to be facts.

Our intelligence agencies do not seem to be very intelligent.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Casey first told Reagan that he had been astonished to discover that over 80 percent of the 'intelligence' that the analysis side of the CIA produced was based on open public sources like newspapers and magazines.

Christopher Steele admitted using posts by 'random individuals' on CNN website to back up Trump dossier

According to deposition transcripts released this week, Steele said last year he used a 2009 report he found on CNN's iReport website and said he wasn't aware that submissions to that site are posted by members of the public and are not checked for accuracy.

He was pressed on this further: “Do you understand that CNN iReports are or were nothing more than any random individuals’ assertions on the Internet?” Steele replied: “No, I obviously presume that if it is on a CNN site that it may has some kind of CNN status.

When asked about his methodology for searching for this information, Steele described it as “what we could call an open source search,” which he defined as “where you go into the Internet and you access material that is available on the Internet that is of relevance or reference to the issue at hand or the person under consideration.”

Steele said his dossier contained "raw intelligence" that he admitted could contain untrue or even "deliberately false information."

Nuff said.

edit on 22-5-2019 by SpiritGarden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
“Orange Man Bad” (which is literally EVERYTHING the media says) is false.

The easily manipulated public, and ONLY the easily manipulated public, are the ones who believe media lies and falsehoods.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I see that several people missed what I see as a crucial fact;

"American public".

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

"American public".

Your flags fly blue and true 😆 and got the flu 😆

edit on May-23-2019 by xuenchen because: 😎conspirazy😎

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SpiritGarden

The ""open"" Zourzes were pre-arranged --

not TOO obvious 😆

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 02:03 AM
link   

They are creating and using "uncertainty".

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   
We've lost when people stop communicating new ideas that benefit everyone not just turn the tables on a perceived injustice. We've lost when loving someone despite their faults is viewed as a weakness instead of a strength. We've lost when compromise becomes a criminal offense and instead we seek to do nothing but control a narrative and suck the joy out of anything and everything if it doesn't serve that narrative.

::Stands up and looks around::

Yep, we've lost.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   

You're already there, now tell me why you think I'm wrong...

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
We've lost when people stop communicating new ideas that benefit everyone not just turn the tables on a perceived injustice. We've lost when loving someone despite their faults is viewed as a weakness instead of a strength. We've lost when compromise becomes a criminal offense and instead we seek to do nothing but control a narrative and suck the joy out of anything and everything if it doesn't serve that narrative.

::Stands up and looks around::

Yep, we've lost.

Spot on...

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

"American public".

Your flags fly blue and true 😆 and got the flu 😆

You think your prose is so hip and new
But the problem is, compadre xue
Though you think we're all like "ahh "and "oooh"
Metaphorically - it stinks like poo.

edit on 23/5/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Perhaps nobody really knows anything and everyone just believes what they want to believe and does not know how to prove or disprove it because it's impossible.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Yes millions of dollars at disposal they make up false stories get their buddys the lawyers to use our money to try and throw gas on a fire they are stoking,who are the idiots? the taxpayers we complain yet do nothing,if we were to be taken over by a foreign force,all the soldiers would need is hamburgers ,liquor, cigarettes

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Perhaps nobody really knows anything and everyone just believes what they want to believe and does not know how to prove or disprove it because it's impossible.

What happens to a country's people when they let "news" become just 20 similar opinions delivered as if they were "hard hitting" "shock revelations", instead of verified and verifiable facts?

(e.g. a random 'person of importance' says five or six words, and it is "analyzed and dissected" into thousands of hours of opinion pieces).

edit on 23/5/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

What happens to a country's people when they let "news" become just 20 similar opinions delivered as if they were "hard hitting" "shock revelations", instead of verified and verifiable facts?

(e.g. a random 'person of importance' says five or six words, and it is "analyzed and dissected" into thousands of hours of opinion pieces).

I am more concerned that armed with false information and stoked for hate, we get people like the leftist on ATS showing the ignorance in ways the could lead to a lot of trouble for them and me too. If they would only leave me and most of the rest out of their Delusions, I would be able to sleep easier at night.
edit on 23-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

I am more concerned that armed with false information and stoked for hate, we get people like the leftist on ATS showing the ignorance in ways the could lead to a lot of trouble for them and me too. If they would only leave me and most of the rest out of their Delusions, I would be able to sleep easier at night.

Just for #s and giggles, what delusions do you envision the left perpetrating on you that would affect your sleep at night?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

How do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion if you're just watching it all happen on a screen?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Based upon much of what I read here I'd say so far so good.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Justoneman

Just for #s and giggles, what delusions do you envision the left perpetrating on you that would affect your sleep at night?

Oh i don't know where they are going to go they are so totally REEEEEE. I am watching with the attitude that I will hope for the best out of those nutbags but not be so dumb as to not prepare for the worst.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join