It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY do lighters SUCK so BAD today?????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I swear, it's impossible to find a decent disposable lighter now days!! They all SUCK!! Even Bic lighters!

I mean, it's not like there's not liquefied butane in these lighters for cripes sakes!! Why won't the damn things light properly?????

None of them will.

The other day I bought a pack of lighters and had to produce an ID to show I was 21 (I'm 56) to buy this sad-ass pack of non-functional lighters.

I couldn't start a forest fire with one of these things if my life depended on it! WTF????

Of the pack of five (5), I've now had to throw three of them away because they are completely USELESS!!!

WTF, OVER????

I'm going back to my Zippo lighters...at least they LIGHT!!

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It has kinda been like that for a long time. When I used to smoke (early 2000s) I often had to buy at least one lighter per week. I don't think I ever had one that didn't just stop working about halfway through it's fuel supply. Tried everything. Even cleaning out the jet with a pin. Pretty much nothing would save them once they died.

I don't smoke anymore but I have a Scripto refillable BBQ lighter I bought a while back. So far it works fine but I hardly ever use it. I used it for lighting a couple of candles during a power outage not too long ago.

The long neck BBQ lighters are often even more unreliable than they little stubby lighters. I try to avoid buying lighters that are childproof. They're just a pain in the ass.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No way, th Bic lighters even work for me on occasion under damp Conditions. Maybe you live too far from civilization?? Could be they just rotated that stock from a bulk discount they bought ten years s ago. I always forget how spoiled we are in the city whenever I visit a small mountain town a d realize everything I take for grant d is not just available 24 hours of the day or night five minutes away.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
On some, take off the chrome shield and rearrange the ring that opens the valve more or less so the flame goes higher when you light it. I do that all the time, otherwise the flame is puny even with the gas all the way up. You have to unsnap the shield to see what I am talking about. Just pop it up and go back with it and increase the valve open more by pushing the knob back towards high. I wonder if there is a You Tube video on that, there should be. I figured that out twenty years ago.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
No way, th Bic lighters even work for me on occasion under damp Conditions. Maybe you live too far from civilization??

Too far??? I live a LONG way from civilization!!

Could be they just rotated that stock from a bulk discount they bought ten years s ago. I always forget how spoiled we are in the city whenever I visit a small mountain town a d realize everything I take for grant d is not just available 24 hours of the day or night five minutes away.

We're WAY more than "5 minutes" away!! WAY more!!!

And this is where we LIVE. It's not a lark, it's reality!

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Get a Colibri and be done with it.
Zippos, while nostalgic, can be messy at times.
I prefer the efficiency of a jet flame too.
Good luck whichever you do.

www.colibri.com...

edit on 19Mon, 20 May 2019 19:49:15 -0500pmvAmerica/ChicagoMondayb20195America/Chicago by Gravelbone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gravelbone

Get a Colibri and be done with it.
Zippos, while nostalgic, can be messy at times.
I prefer the efficiency of a jet flame too.
Good luck whichever you do.

www.colibri.com...

I used to have one of those too. It lasted a good while but still died eventually. Certainly not worth 30 times more or whatever it was I paid for it. The jet flame ones are cool but they die too. But a cheap jet flame lighter will last a good amount of time. No need to get carried away and spend a lot.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Zippo all the way
Buddy of mine , while serving in Iraq , left his Zippo on a tread of an Abrams. Flat as a sheet of notebook paper when he found it. Started to toss it and friends told him to send it back . He said , no way Zippo will replace this one. He did anyway . 3 days later , in Iraq , he received a perfect replacement with a letter saying thanks for buying Zippo.
True story

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What I find that sucks is you can't find one with a high low in it anymore, used to be a lever to adjust the flame, they don't seem to be around anymore, sucks. Lol

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Oh the smell of a zippo being refilled.

I find bic lighters the most reliable. I call those see through double chamber lighters "sometimes lighters".

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Lighter? A real man yells at wood and it bursts into flames.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I have been using the same Bic for about 4 months now, with a 3/4 pack a day disgusting habit.
Never have a problem with Bic’s.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I bought a small kitchen torch (butane flame) for creamer brûlée’s and roasted peppers. Well me dope smoking buddy found it and used it every time he could.

I moved out and had to steal it back.

He’s purchased his own and uses the thing all the time.

Wind, rain, 40 below,... a butane flame works every time (don’t hit your fingers!)

Welcome to the modern world!

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Not sure if you know this, but as mentioned by poster above,popping the childproof band off significantly improves flamage.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Plasma arc lighters work pretty well. Amazon and ebay both have a bunch.

amazon

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just get two chert or quartzite rocks and stick some tissue between them and rub them together to start a fire. Those dull red sparks start dry organics on fire pretty easily. I had a pretty big pile of them someone collected hundred of years ago that I found while leveling off the yard, they got put around the asparagus garden and strawberry patch. Pretty looking rocks. I wondered why so many rocks were in one spot, must have been a tobacco store, free lighters with purchase of tobacco.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yes, the crappiness started when they started using the safety ring. a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   

A return to Zippo is always a good thing.

Less disposable plastic anyway.

I need to get some flints and fluid for mine, I admit I've been using a Bic for the meanwhile.

Thanks for reminding me about a more environmental alternative.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Thank you!!!! Like you are blessing to the world I thought nobody would point this out man I love blazing and all these lighters man they only are made so last a bit and not always

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Got to be a zippo lighter! Haven't used a disposable in years, like you say they are utter garbage

<<   2 >>

join