It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's break the music apart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hey guys!

Ever since i can remember i was kind of technical about stuff, so i would always try to break stuff apart to see how it worked

A little bit about my background.. I went to music school as a kid, had awesome teachers and all available to do great things but i did not care much to learn how to sound nice and angelical and stuff, i was dumb LOL! One thing that actually got me interested was how music works, who plays what and when and why and so on. So i used to spend hours listening to music trying to figure out how it all fit together, had some friends who did the same and we tried to figure out songs without reading music sheets or tabs.. But let's say we did not got too far with the songs we chose.. LMFAO!

So today was just feeling a bit lost and i started thinking about all that stuff since i just found my guitar from when i was 10 and started dusting her off, well turns out it's very much dead by now but it brought me some good memories

So anyway i was looking on youtube and found some nice videos about deconstructing some nice songs

Here a couple ones i liked, from Nirvana who is a very nice band i like a lot

Drain You

In Bloom

Polly

I love that band, even my little cousin's Chihuahua doggy is named Polly... Guilty about that name here! LMAO

Here's one by The Beatles, i love this song so much! Sadly this one's very short, but so good..

I love videos like this, do you have any you would like to share? I'm in need to focus on stuff like this and forget about some bad stuff i had to go through today :/

edit on 17-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   
You might want to check out the stuff by Rick Beato, music producer now doing lots of stuff on youtube and because of his industry connections gets access to some great recordings and breaks them down into stems. Shows you techniques used, music theory, all that stuff. Check him out!

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
You might want to check out the stuff by Rick Beato, music producer now doing lots of stuff on youtube and because of his industry connections gets access to some great recordings and breaks them down into stems. Shows you techniques used, music theory, all that stuff. Check him out!

And the guy can really play also.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

One of my favorite videos. It is about hip hop lyricism and deconstructs some of the best. It really shows how complex the rhyme schemes are and the flows over the beats. Breaks down Rakim, Biggie, Eminem, Andre 3000 (outkast), MF Doom....

It is really insightful even if you don't like hip hop. The video utilizes great graphics and edits to help you follow along. This is the kind of stuff us old school hip hop fans love. No weirdo mumble rappers featured...

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Thought I'd mention there are only 13 notes(12+the octave of root) in ALL of music we've ever heard...rock, jazz, orchestras....you name it. 13 notes.

As a child I figured out everything chord wise by ear, later reading, then becoming an instructor full time.*

*you could get back to it? Guitars are inexpensive these days for just messin' around

edit on 17-5-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thank you guys, these are awesome videos

Going through them now and having lots of fun, thank you all

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Thought I'd mention there are only 13 notes(12+the octave of root) in ALL of music we've ever heard...rock, jazz, orchestras....you name it. 13 notes.

As a child I figured out everything chord wise by ear, later reading, then becoming an instructor full time.*

*you could get back to it? Guitars are inexpensive these days for just messin' around

I'll probably will later this year, once i get thru some stuff at home

I would like a keyboard this time

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

That guy is amazing, so clear on his explanations, he knows how to teach for sure. i know how to learn my stuff, teaching is not as easy

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

About the 13 notes, for me it was always 12, i don't feel like i know better right now to understand why 13 like you said. Honestly i can't remember so i may be wrong but it was 12 notes to the octave, that's how i remember

Is that due to the tonic in the octave? If you have some time please could you explain? i don't remember any of this anymore...

edit on 18-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

12 chromatic-in-order...example:

A,Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab....12...and it's root or key, the octave- of the 1st

(for purposes, root or key up or down to it's repeaded note-the octave)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

12 chromatic-in-order...example:

A,Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab....12...and it's root or key, the octave- of the 1st

(for purposes, root or key up or down to it's repeaded note-the octave)

I see what you mean, i did not look at it this way honestly but it kind of makes sense

Thanks for your reply, i love music and i think i will actually pick it up again in a few months on i free myself from other stuff

Are you playing currently? If so do you post online?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I am the lead guitar, keys from 1 of Billboard Magazine's Top 100 Instrumental groups of all time...11records in the top 10 in 60's-up.
I've been blessed...

I never came here to promote or discuss myself and group per session. We have music all over...The Sopranos, Trains, Planes and Automobiles....among others.

I've stepped into 1st Emergency Response in Life Support these days...although it's fun, I don't discuss my private life.

Yes, we are all over YouTube, iTunes and everything else, still rec'vg royalties from worldwide copyrights.

Thank you for asking, hope you pick it up again! Life is short...

Peace.

top topics

join