It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Useless 10 percent of the time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A bit of a rant, but forum related.

I think by now we all know about the 28 to 31 backup that happens every hour(book ended it's more like 26 to 33).

It's frustrating and a lot of people complain about it. In this day and age the web is instant for most. Having to wait a minute plus for pages to load and posts to be posted is very 1990's.

Let's be frank, the data here isn't important enough to be backed up hourly, let alone daily. Is this something that can actually be changed or is it a problem with whomever ATS is hosting with?

I think if it's possibly, setting it to every 6 hours or more realistically every 24(once again, not important info) would stop a lot of the user complaints.

I understand some of the limitations and lack of control that comes with web hosting, but IF it's in the power of the admins it seems such an easy fix. Either way it certainly isn't a dealbreaker, just seems really over the top to do an hourly.

Using some maths that equates to the forum being "down" for 10 percent of the time. Absolutely unheard of in "current year".

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Yeah IDK why in 2019 we got this going on.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

You'd think a CIA honeypot would have these capabilities!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

You'd think a CIA honeypot would have these capabilities!

Well maybe 28 to 31 is Miller Time?

So they know that web traffic will be slow and they can head off to the employee lounge for a few beers.

Now THAT makes sense.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's the attack of the 2633+10 Gremlin !!
He can't be stopped !!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Depends on what's being backed up & why, eh?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

What makes you think they are backing up the site and not your data?

Also this thread should be axed shortly like all the others with no information if the issue is something that is being worked on or something we have to live with from what i have seen anyways. I dont think their is a sticky last time i checked and a thread in regards to the issue appears to pop up again and again.
edit on 01531America/ChicagoThu, 16 May 2019 23:01:54 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Depends on what's being backed up & why, eh?

Very little personal data being shared here, much less compared to the main social media sites.

Facebook, for example, accesses location/contact/GPS/ad data. Pretty much none of that here. I'm guessing it's more a result of some cheap(er) server that just has some #ty equipment/network admins that have their backups set up for lower volume web services that don't interact well with the volume of interaction/posts that ATS has.
edit on 16-5-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Its horribly annoying..

I try to actively avoid ATS for those ~5 minutes, but I think it ends up just discouraging me overall.

"Hmm, Ill go on ATS for a bit! Wait.. Its XX:29, Ill do it later."

*5 Hours Later*

"Hmm, Ill go on ATS for a bit! Wait.. Its XX:31, Ill do it later."

Rinse & Repeat

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
To be fair, I'm not trying to pound on doors and say that the site owners need to spend a bunch more money on a provider that will solve this issue.

Just saying that if it's within their control it's an easy fix, if not, throw their provider under the bus and say it's not our issue/problem.

It just seems to be garnering alot of complaints lately.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Its horribly annoying..

I try to actively avoid ATS for those ~5 minutes, but I think it ends up just discouraging me overall.

"Hmm, Ill go on ATS for a bit! Wait.. Its XX:29, Ill do it later."

*5 Hours Later*

"Hmm, Ill go on ATS for a bit! Wait.. Its XX:31, Ill do it later."

Rinse & Repeat

Well, that's the odd thing about it. I mean out of 60 minutes in a hour, why does it always seem you are "most active" during those crappy 5-7 minutes. I know it seems it's more and more common for me these days.

That's my point, very frustrating, especially in "current year".

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Expect it to get worse before it gets better. Members are the only ones who care deeply about the site.

edit on 16-5-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I wouldn't really mind a general slow down too much, but it seems like its been getting worse. Far too often now, it seems the site straight up doesn't work during that time. Just a frozen loading bar until XX:32 or XX:33.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Thats pretty much my life in a nutshell, heh.

But, its probably because of how I schedule my day.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I wouldn't really mind a general slow down too much, but it seems like its been getting worse. Far too often now, it seems the site straight up doesn't work during that time. Just a frozen loading bar until XX:32 or XX:33.

For me, it's more from :26 to :33. It's a fair portion of time.

Now I do know better than to keep clicking # and end up with double(triple) posts. I just click and let it work things out. But seeing a "posting" message for 2 to 3 minutes is ridiculous.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

For me, it's more from :26 to :33. It's a far portion of time.

Now I do know better than to keep clicking # and end up with double(triple) posts. I just click and let it work things out. But seeing a "posting" message for 2 to 3 minutes is ridiculous.

Yep thats about the the time frame for me. It also appears to have expanded. For a while it was 28 - 31.

It is what it is
edit on 20531America/ChicagoThu, 16 May 2019 23:20:14 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

We’re talking about a website that still doesn’t allow you to post a picture from a phone without a convoluted upload process.

I don’t think they care about modernizing anything around here

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Been on lots of forums, no other forum I'm on does this. Without a doubt this is the most difficult forum to work with, be it pics, or the screen continuously jumping around while inserting ad's, and of course the dead zone referred to by the OP..it's almost painful. If I didn't enjoy the occasional interesting discussions, it would not be worth the time.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I can imagine at this point, it's mostly the die hards who stick with it..otherwise it is very discouraging!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I have hundreds of images uploaded, so my bad guys, I'm part of the problem.
Suck it, I like the nineties feel of it. It's time to reopen IRC man and really go back in time haha.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join