It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto to Pay $2 Billion in Weed Killer Cancer Case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I would be willing to bet that Bayer who purchased Monsanto regrets the day they made that deal ! It is my understanding there are another 13,000 lawsuits against Monsanto just waiting for their day in court.. Not good if you work there or are a stock holder I would think.

A jury on May 13 ordered agribusiness giant Monsanto Co. to pay a combined $2.055 billion to a couple claiming that the company’s popular weed killer Roundup Ready caused their cancers.

The jury’s verdict is the third such courtroom loss for Monsanto in California since August, but a San Francisco law professor said it’s likely a trial judge or appellate court will significantly reduce the punitive damage award.

The state court jury in Oakland concluded that Monsanto’s weed killer caused the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Alva Pilliod and Alberta Pilliod each contracted. Jurors awarded them each $1 billion in punitive damages in addition to a combined $55 million in compensatory damages.

www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I would be willing to bet that Bayer who purchased Monsanto regrets the day they made that deal !

www.theepochtimes.com...

I'd be willing to bet the acquisition was designed in anticipation of what is to come and for the larger, older company to be able to withstand the impact.

Bayer's been killing people since the 19th century.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The jury’s verdict is the third such courtroom loss for Monsanto in California since August, but a San Francisco law professor said it’s likely a trial judge or appellate court will significantly reduce the punitive damage award.

Of course they will.

What are the odds of an upcoming class action suit?

edit on 14-5-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Its just Karma. Bayer thinks they are the pinnacle of all evil since WW2. But, they don't know evil til they merge with Monsatan(as people call it).

Just shut them down already. I mean if British and Canadian companies can be shut down, why can't American ones?

Basically Bayer is doing a deal with the devil right now.
edit on 14-5-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Monsatan will just appeal the decision, then in about five years, they will make an offer for less than a penny on the dollar of the original 2 billion and the people will accept it ant their lawyers will get all the money. We need to fix the laws in this country, first, two billion is way too much for one incident. A couple of million times a thousand people who were effected would be way better.

The monsatan lawyers will drag this on for decades, the people will probably die before they collect a cent. Bayer is no better than Monsatan is, they both should be sent back to purgatory.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Who would have ever thought weed killer could cause cancer?

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

It only causes cancer to weeds, most of us are weeds that some people want gone. Glyphosate and brain cancer are linked pretty strongly. Many things need to be wrong for cancer to kill us usually, Glyphosate knocks a couple of those safeguards out. It is almost as bad as DDT is in certain cancers, but pesticides themselves have similar effects too, it seems that people do not challenge pesticides as much. With the new policy of preharvest spraying of grains with glyphosate, our exposure is way up now if we eat grains, and so is the possibility of our meat producing animals eating these grains becoming toxic to us more.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

We rented a really nice place once, had a great yard, and we asked if we could take a non sodded area and plant a food garden. The landlord gave us the go ahead, and then we asked if the gardener could discontinue using Round-up in that area. Both husband and wife were appalled at the request!

"Of course not!" was their answer. So, we didn't put a food garden there. But, we did find out that the gardener was, at the time, suffering from brain cancer, but couldn't afford to stop working. He blamed the Round-Up. That was about 20 years ago.

edit on 14-5-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

The people who created it?
That would be Monsanto.

Monsanto, a behemoth chemical company, the same people
who brought the world Agent Orange.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well, atleast the first world doesn't have to actual do the work and pull weeds.

Just sprinkle your yard with cancer chems and go back inside and watch the government approved propaganda.

2 billion...I hope there are another few hundred lawsuits that result in the same. But sadly, the way the corporate structure is set up, they'll just file for bankruptcy and skirt the real punishments.

Drag the CEO's and chemists into the lawsuits, or better yet throw criminal charges at them and lynch them from the nearest tree.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

China is taking all our jobs. Soon all our food is made in china so, don't forget to join the military because China is a threat.
edit on 14-5-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I would be willing to bet that Bayer who purchased Monsanto regrets the day they made that deal ! It is my understanding there are another 13,000 lawsuits against Monsanto just waiting for their day in court.. Not good if you work there or are a stock holder I would think.

A jury on May 13 ordered agribusiness giant Monsanto Co. to pay a combined $2.055 billion to a couple claiming that the company’s popular weed killer Roundup Ready caused their cancers.

The state court jury in Oakland concluded that Monsanto’s weed killer caused the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Alva Pilliod and Alberta Pilliod each contracted. Jurors awarded them each $1 billion in punitive damages in addition to a combined $55 million in compensatory damages.

www.theepochtimes.com...

I’d be willing to bet they (Bayer) knew more than you particularly, as it relates to punitive damages (the click-bait your OP is predicated on — don’t let that bother you, you’re old and seen it all and know it all; sans civil law...) and the plaintiffs will die and Bayer pays a FRACTION of your misguided implication.

But, hey, I’m telling you’re there’s a chance.

*Slim just left and you still think you know it all*

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
There are more than 13,000 court cases still open for Bayer/Monsanto!

The board of directors of Bayer had a VERY BAD DAY on its last stockholders meeting (Financial Times)!

Bayer had to pay 2,370,000,000 EUR up to now, but that sum is just the tip of the iceberg, Bayer did a massive miscalculation on buying the poisoned (pun! I am funny!) Monsanto.

German source

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Monsanto = evil

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Before monsanto was in US hands 0 cases and just untouchable. After it got bought by Germany's Bayer suddenly you get all these lawsuits with crazy fines.

Not that I love Bayer but Bayer could go down under with fines like these, which just seems like an attack on a German company.
I mean in this case every tobacco company should be treated the same, or even the US itself with all those wars and lost lives because of that?

Or what about oil, coal company's and car manufactures which are polluting our atmosphere and a cause of all those particulate matters in the air (even oceans&rivers with oil spills) and a cause of many deaths worldwide?
People should win such cases as well in the US then..all those people should go to court and become millionaires or even billionaires..
Or the justice deparment has just become a tool for making money or for crippling competition??

Heck the US government allowed Monsanto to do their thing for many many years because they considered it as safe! & you can still buy roundup in the US? why it's allowed?
edit on 15-5-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   
What the eff do people expect from California?

Roundup has been used for decades, and only now are people trying to make cash off it.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Oh yeah. Let's not forget how Bayer knowingly infected and killed thousands with AIDS in other countries. Just so they wouldn't lose profit.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The military has been paying disability claims for veterans that were actually on the ground in Vietnam if they get certain maladies.

But I'm curious.

Have the people of Vietnam been afflicted with the same ailments?

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Captain agent orange is in for a rough time financially.

It's not the first time, and it certainly won't be the last. In fact If you suffer from cancer, buy some Roundup and take these Killers to the cleaners. Get back at Monsanto the van Morrison way, perhaps the regulatory system will take heed.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The military has been paying disability claims for veterans that were actually on the ground in Vietnam if they get certain maladies.

But I'm curious.

Have the people of Vietnam been afflicted with the same ailments?

There are many many videos of the suffering caused by 77 million liters of agent orange sprayed to defoliate the jungles. This is one of the less gross on the birth defects. Third generation birth defects as Agent Orange just keeps giving and giving.
I had a good friend die within two years after his finger nails and toe nails turned to mush almost 20 years after he was exposed during a spray mission.

youtu.be...

edit on 727thk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join