It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Raid Rescues Hostages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

French Special Ops rescues four hostages in Western Africa.
Nice job. My sympathies to the families of the two soldiers that were lost.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Rescue 4, lose 2. doesn't sound like a glorious success story to me.

+4 more 
posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I'd be willing to bet the two who were lost would beg to differ if they could.

My hat is off to anyone willing to lay their life down for another. They knew what was at stake.

+1 more 
posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'd be willing to bet the two who were lost would beg to differ if they could.

My hat is off to anyone willing to lay their life down for another. They knew what was at stake.

I would bet that the four that were rescued consider it a success too.
They are probably thankful for the success of the mission.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Seriously? As society it is our responsibility to make sure the lifes of soldiers are not wasted. I say in this case there should have been a better outcome, two highly trained valuable assets have lost their life, to rescue 4 not 40 people.
Your attitude seems to be "happy death! He knew that's the military."
Did you know the military used its soldiers as guinea pigs? Did they have that coming too?
How much does a soldier have to give from his life?
Some have PTSD. They just don't function right in society anymore. Where do they go? The easiest way out. Drugs?
Why are people so eager to depart from society? What is missing in their life? After they've been on the line of life and death.
It's a Perpetuum Mobile endless circle of push and pull. We push them into death and when they come back they're on their own. Society doesn't pull enough.
We expect them to jump into life, but some don't even get up.
What is it in the average Western hemisphere habitant's opinion the meaning of it all? What's the point?

All I'm saying is we should overthink how much we value the life of soldiers and veterans.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I'm not saying soldiers are disposable, hell, I'm one of the most anti-(needless)war members on the site. But these men volunteered to be brave warriors, and they are going to Valhalla. They knew the mission, and they went. The last thing I would do for them is offer pity, that's salt in the wound IMO.

I think all countries should strive to do more for the men and woman who served.

2 Frenchman were kidnapped while on safari, and other foreign nationals were being held hostage as well. The French government saw it fitting to send their finest to get their citizens out (and the others). The soldiers went in to save some of their own and other innocent, much like firefighters will go into a burning house risking their lives to save another. Things don't always go right, and I bet if you talked to most soldiers they'd tell you there isn't much difference to them about saving 4 or 40.
edit on 10-5-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Point taken. It sounded like disposable.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

You know what the job is going into it. I could understand your point if they were drafted, but, they weren't. They volunteered, probably several times.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Seriously? As society it is our responsibility to make sure the lifes of soldiers are not wasted. I say in this case there should have been a better outcome...

My being prior military. I would say the people going in knew the risks and accepted them. I bet the others would do it again. There is a culture there that most people will never understand.

Kocag

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

You ever think people serve to defend others at any cost because they have a warrior’s and servant’s heart?

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Seriously? As society it is our responsibility to make sure the lifes of soldiers are not wasted. I say in this case there should have been a better outcome, two highly trained valuable assets have lost their life, to rescue 4 not 40 people.
Your attitude seems to be "happy death! He knew that's the military."
Did you know the military used its soldiers as guinea pigs? Did they have that coming too?
How much does a soldier have to give from his life?
Some have PTSD. They just don't function right in society anymore. Where do they go? The easiest way out. Drugs?
Why are people so eager to depart from society? What is missing in their life? After they've been on the line of life and death.
It's a Perpetuum Mobile endless circle of push and pull. We push them into death and when they come back they're on their own. Society doesn't pull enough.
We expect them to jump into life, but some don't even get up.
What is it in the average Western hemisphere habitant's opinion the meaning of it all? What's the point?

All I'm saying is we should overthink how much we value the life of soldiers and veterans.
Yes, military life is a hard life. But the people who make it into the position to make rescues like this, or even plan and execute any raids such as this, are there by their own choice. Nobody is forcing them to take on these dangerous missions.

Now think about the impact this event has on the bad guys. They lost their lives. Probably a lot of them. Their ilk now know exactly the cost of taking hostages. Their friends will be less likely to test their luck on such a dangerous gamble. That is worth a lot, and i’d be willing to bet that all of those who have fallen in defence of others, understand this.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

After reading some of the comments here, I have to wonder as to who has put their life on the line for others and/or who has had to kill to save others? Sometimes you can't save people no matter how hard you try. However, saving one person is payment in itself, there is no balance sheet that has to be tallied. When you do this kind of work, you know there are only a couple of outcomes and you do the job, because you're made that way.

There is no better way to die than saving someone else. Respect to the fallen.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/10.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

But who to they subscribe their sacrifice to? The constitution? The president and they swear new every election? The flag and country, but who decides what's in that's best interest?

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

But who to they subscribe their sacrifice to? The constitution? The president and they swear new every election? The flag and country, but who decides what's in that's best interest?

Every individual does what they do for different reasons. Some do it for country, some do it for their god, some do it for the respect of their friends and family. The good that i do, i don’t do it for country, or my president. I do it to make the world a better place for some at least.

These soldiers put themselves in a position to help people. It is an extreme position, because these are extreme people. Some humans are just warriors. They wouldn’t want it any other way.

You sound like you have something against the people in the military. US soldiers take an oath to uphold the constitution. I’m sure French soldiers take a similar oath. To those individuals, that oath means a lot. It’s an emotional milestone in their lives. And the constitution and what it says is the most important document ever written.
edit on 10-5-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yes, but by reading your threads and your posts on this site, it is plain to see that you do not have a solid grip on reality or any understanding of social norms. I bet you find yourself pulling your foot out of your mouth pretty often.

I knew a guy who said some stupid stuff on the morning of 9/11. Something along the lines of, “i’m glad all of those bankers and executives died in the tower collapses”.

He got picked up and slammed on the ground. He later cried about how his freedom of speech was violated. He is still not any smarter.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Bravo les gars et mes sincères condoléances pour les deux soldats sacrifiés au prix de la liberté...

My son is in the French army and he and us are proud that he and his brothers in arms are there in order to maintain peace.

He joined in order to try to help the world become a better place.

I say maintain peace and NOT kill for greed.

Lags
edit on 10-5-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Crap

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I get your point, and when I was in the service I would ask myself questions like that at funerals for friends. It's not about the costs one takes, it's about the privilege to protect those at home. Let's remove the military name and look at it from a different angle; Cops.

Cops got about everyday protecting what? Why? and they don't get the benefit of having a well laid out plan of attack for events they have to deal with, every situation for them is very different from the last. Same goes for Firefighters, Medical units, and others. What makes everyone tic?

I don't think there is a single answer for your question, everyone that serves/served has their own reason for joining the military of their choice, everyone is personal, and it is a very rare time when one will come right out and give a true answer for it. Not because we are brainwashed, hard headed, or "kill-Bots", but because people sacrifice their own freedoms for reasons that are deeply personal to them.

Is the price you pay worth it? Sure, I can't sleep at night most days, but when I reflect back on why it was worth it. People are alive because of what I did, that's what matters. You'll never get an answer from the dead as to what they feel about dying for their cause, but you can try and understand that when something like this happens, those who died wasn't thinking about their safety, but was more worried about those around them and the lives they were sent to save. It's all about conviction I guess, some understand it some don't, but either way if your time comes you will do what your conviction tells you to.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
At first glance I thought that said "French Maid Rescues Hostages".

Which would have Quentin Tarantino all over it.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

To humanity.

Two people laid down their lives to save innocent hostages who could not save themselves.

Sounds like you are in the let them die, not my problem camp?

new topics

top topics

join