It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice : Michael Behenna pardoned.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Michael Behenna was sentenced to 25 years in prison for killing Al Qaeda operative Ali Mansur. Prosecutors got a conviction against him for committing premeditated murder.

Behenna was ordered to return Mansur home after interrogation but he stopped to questioned him again . Behenna ordered Mansur to strip in order to humiliate him for interrogation . During interrogation Mansur attacked Behenna in a attempt to get his weapon .

Behenna then killed the operative .

To tell you the truth I doubt Behenna’s story but it doesn’t matter. We are at war and Mansur had just killed two soldiers .

It’s time to take the kids gloves off .

Good call POTUS.

On March 20th, 2009, Army Ranger 1st Lieutenant Michael Behenna was sentenced to 25 years in prison for killing Ali Mansur, a known Al Qaeda operative while serving in Iraq. Mansur was known to be a member of an Al Qaeda cell operating in the lieutenant’s area of operation and Army intelligence believed he organized an attack on Lt. Behenna’s platoon in April 2008 which killed two U.S. soldiers and injured two more. Army intelligence ordered the release of Mansur and Lt. Behenna was ordered to return the terrorist to his home.

Pardon

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Man I admire Trump. Seriously, I didn't think we would ever have a president like him - I thought we were on an endless slide to becoming a third world type of place.

I thank each and every person that voted for him a thousand times.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Justice served....

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hmmm...one less terrorist in the world. How is that a bad thing during a war on terrorism?

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Good.

All I have to say on the subject.

Good on Trump!

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

YOU'RE WELCOME.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I love him too. All I have to say it’s about F***ing time

We had a president that does something right instead of what is politically safe.

I’m noy just talking about this instance. I’m talking his actions across the board .

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

I love him too. All I have to say it’s about F***ing time

We had a president that does something right instead of what is politically safe.

I’m noy just talking about this instance. I’m talking his actions across the board .

A president is free to do that if they are not coming from one of the "official parties" and is not afraid of being re-elected or what dirt another politician (i.e. Clinton) might have on you to release.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

i has to question the sanity of involving lt behenna - in the investigation // handling of a suspect in the reported attack on his own unit

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i has to question the sanity of involving lt behenna - in the investigation // handling of a suspect in the reported attack on his own unit

It was a confirmed enemy combatant...that subsequently attack him. When is it bad to kill the enemy in a war? Seriously??

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Just to add to this, it appears the pardon is from the lasting parole restrictions on him.

Behenna, 35, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for "unpremeditated murder in a combat zone" after killing suspected al-Qaeda terrorist Ali Mansur. Behenna was paroled in 2014.
ABC news

I was really surprised to hear he was going to be in prison for 25 years for a moment of question at theater of war.

This part also stuck out to me in another article.

In his legal appeal, he also said that during the trial, prosecutors had withheld evidence from his defense attorneys.
NPR

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

From what I’ve seen of the evidence he was probably guilty.

I would bet trumps reason is that we were at war .

Do you think Obama would have given him a full pardon on a high profile murder case especially while he was in his first term of office ?

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

While Behenna said he killed Mansur in self-defense, during the trial he admitted that he disobeyed orders to return Mansour to his village after he was released from military intelligence and questioned about his connection to an explosion that killed two U.S. soldiers.
Prosecutors said Behenna instead interrogated and stripped Mansour naked before shooting him twice

What if he was released so they could scout who he was going to contact next and cut the beast at the head?

Am I missing something? Or is this ok since we're the good guys.
Let's hope those wearing the uniform have the honor courage and commitment to not let emotions guide their actions.
If they were embushed or had something happened while they took the detour to carry out their own mission, this would be a different story.

I served, and i followed lawful orders. Soldiers whom don't follow lawful orders and make their own decisions, especially in combat conditions which could have possibly cost the mission, get fed bread and water.
edit on 7-5-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I dont think i'll ever feel sorry for any terrorist scumbag.... Good work, Trump!

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Text

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

It was a confirmed enemy combatant...that subsequently attack him. When is it bad to kill the enemy in a war? Seriously??

I'll try to play devils advocate for both sides.

President Trump has granted a full pardon to former Army 1st Lt. Michael Behenna, who was convicted by a military court in 2009 for killing an Iraqi prisoner suspected of being part of al-Qaida. Behenna was initially sentenced to 25 years; he was released on parole in 2014.
NPR

So the guy was suspected to be a combatant.

From the same source.

Mansur was killed during questioning about a roadside explosion that had killed members of a platoon under Behenna's command.

While Behenna said he killed Mansur in self-defense, during the trial he admitted that he disobeyed orders to return Mansour to his village after he was released from military intelligence and questioned about his connection to an explosion that killed two U.S. soldiers.

But earlier there were also claims prosecution withheld evidence.

All that said, I'm indifferent on this one. The guy has been free since 2014, and quite frankly, whatever happened, it came after some of the men he commanded died in a roadside bomb. I can't imagine having men die under my direction and be unable to find who was responsible. But I'm sure I could succumb to emotion in a situation like that (not saying he did, not saying he didn't).

I don't think this guy is a danger to society though, and he had to atone for his actions whether justly, or unjustly.
edit on 7-5-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Also, just a note, every other outlet I've read has said the guy was a suspected Al Qaeda operative. Many of them said that his release was ordered due to lack of evidence.

But I think Gateway Pundit changed the wording for their favor, which is why I don't like them as a source.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

i’ve read reports both way. The LA Times cited a Army intelligence report. Which said he was a known supplier of weapons and explosives to Al Qaeda .

You are going to see a . . . Draft Intelligence Information Report prepared by Army intelligence sources that reported Ali was a supplier of explosives and weapons and was [in the report] that describes the Al Qaeda cell that detonated that IED [improvised explosive device] on the 21st of April."

I guess they’re like here. You’re a suspect until convicted .

It makes no difference to me .

I’m just going to chalk both versions up as artistic licensing .

Boom boom out go the lights

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Also, just a note, every other outlet I've read has said the guy was a suspected Al Qaeda operative. Many of them said that his release was ordered due to lack of evidence.

But I think Gateway Pundit changed the wording for their favor, which is why I don't like them as a source.

Regardless of the suspects affiliations, we don't just do whatever the hell we want, because that's what they do.
We're not suppose to be like them...we're not them.

Rules of engagement and orders are what makes us not savages.
edit on 7-5-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Regardless of the suspects affiliations, we don't just do whatever the hell we want, because that's what they do.
We're not suppose to be like them...we're not them.

And, we are not chopping off their heads, burning them with flamethrowers while in a cage, or throwing them off rooftops. In this case, the man was detained as a susupected affiliate, in a war zone, and then attacked the man detaining him. Given context, while at war, I see this as part of that price.

Play stupid war, get dead. Pretty simple.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

I served, and i followed lawful orders. Soldiers whom don't follow lawful orders and make their own decisions, especially in combat conditions which could have possibly cost the mission, get fed bread and water.

We can "what if" it all day, and so I'm sure when they looked at the deeper level that we are not privileged to it wasn't as you might suggest, otherwise he would most likely not get pardon. The President doesn't do these on his own he gets a good amount of advice and I'm sure in this case he got the advice from our military.

Now lets compare this to Manning's pardon from Obama...enough said....lol

edit on 7-5-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join