It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Question about Geography

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

You might as well be a Roman saying man will never walk on the moon.

Or even fly through our own skies.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

But it makes fun movies. I gotta live in the time I was born into and in my time time travel is limited only by ones imagination or ability to suspend disbelief but still I can only experience it vicariously.

Thank god I have Netflix to tell me how it was...

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: njord

Right I agree.
But heres the thing. You figure out when you want to be and where the planet will be so you end up where you want to be only to find out that theres a giant tree on the spot you start on or you end up in the middle of a raging river that is not there in your time, or if you go forward there's a building on the spot that was just a green park where you started.
So many variables when you ask a lot of questions.
H.G. Wells made it so simple....start time.... end time...
personally I like his method.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

You would absolutely have to account for the movement of time/space..

That said the earth is on a set trajectory, so if we are assuming crazy tech anyway, why not just have your wormhole open up X number of miles in whatever direction.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The earth/galaxy would move too much for you to pop on planet..

So trees would be the least of your worries lol

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Time And Relative Dimension In Space

The hardware handles it all.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

how ????????????????

you might as well just use MAGIC

meta analysis gives intended co-ordinates

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My take. In order for anyone to travel in time, they would have to leave this "time plane of existence", basically heading into a 4th dimension. The main issue really would be, is that "plane" in sync with the movement characteristics of this "plane"?

Say our 3d world has a particular acceleration characteristic that would be different once you leave this "plane". How fast or slow is it in regards to this "plane"?

If the outside "plane" is completely stationary in regards to this "plane", and this "plane" is actually traveling at light speed (and since we are a part of it, can't conceive this is happening), in regards to the other "plane", you might find yourself so far away from Earth you may not even be able to find it.

Just my take.

Fred..

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

TARDIS, dude. TARDIS.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

relative - to what ????????

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Everything, of course.

It is, after all, bigger on the inside.

edit on 5/7/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I’m still learning about time travel. I can say it’s real...but I don’t understand the entire concept just as yet because I’m a human just like you even tho I’m an alien. I mean humans are aliens too but I’m pretty sure I’m in the wrong body here.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Well you could use magic to travel in time that’s sort of true. Time is just a concept. Where God exists there is no time it doesn’t exist. Humans can’t comprehend nothingness and the concept of time and space not existing.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
Hypothetically, even if man were able to create a device that could allow someone to go back (or forward) through time.... geographically, where would they end up?

Same place they are when they started. That's because the time travel you're talking about involves a person with a point of view, and they're not so much moving in time as they are reorienting themselves so they exist in a different reality matrix. Consciousness and perception hold "time" in place even more than physical position in the universe.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I like the version of time travel in the show Heros. While Hiro thought he was going back and changing time . Time had already calculated his changes. So if Hiro actually wanted to change time. All he would have to do is not go back in time. Also family guy did a version of this with Stewie creating the universe. The universe made Stewie so he could make the universe.

Time is not fixed. It's relative.

To the op. Your definitely correct in your assumption. All that math of where your spot in space will be to make sure you land where you need to be. If your off by any number, you'll end up somewhere else. Also have to take in effect anomalies. Like the 2004 earthquake that slowed our earth down by fractions. Even that is enough to make you end up not where you want to be. Vesuvius and Krakatoa. I bet those eruptions changed earth as well and equating that would be highly difficult.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGhoul

If your off by any number, you'll end up somewhere else.

So what?
No matter where you go, there you are.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

In my opinion.
If it was possible you'd end up floating in space.
With the distance depending on how far you went back or forward.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
John Titor explained that the system used was called VGL (Variable Gravity Lock)

TimeTravel_0 : Altering gravity is not the hard part.
TimeTravel_0 : Detecting gravity is the hard part.
TimeTravel_0 : I will tell you a littlke story.
TimeTravel_0 : When time travel was invented.
TimeTravel_0 : They built prototypes that would go back in time for a split second and then return.
TimeTravel_0 : They had sensors and cameras on them.
TimeTravel_0 : ...and they never returned.
TimeTravel_0 : It was later discovered that the machines were ending up about 15 miles away and 3000 feet in the air.
TimeTravel_0 : feet
TimeTravel_0 : The Earth was rotating away from them.
TimeTravel_0 : A system had to be invented that would "hold" the machine to the Earth.
TimeTravel_0 : Its called VGL.
TimeTravel_0 : Its based on very sensative clocks and gravity sensors.
TimeTravel_0 : It stops the time distortion machine if radical changes in gravity are detected.
wyrmkin_37 : mechanical or electronic clocks
TimeTravel_0 : You wouldn't want to end up inside a mountain or under water...would you?
TimeTravel_0 : Cesium.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Obviously, preferably you'd want to have your time machine contained in a craft capable of space and air travel. Then calculate time vector, and travel to the time in the past or future you have chosen.

And Thus....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join