It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockets do not work in the vacuum of space. You will believe anything "expert" scientists say.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NicSign

Rockets require external resistance, like an atmosphere to push off of. The rocket does not give its exhaust momentum, the momentum is given by pressure gradient force. Just like when you drop an object from a height, your hand doesn't give the object momentum, gravity does. if the object falls fast enough and meets resistance, like the floor, it might bounce back and hit you.

Did scientists tell you that?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Lol, I think I will stick to actual rocket scientists when it comes to the science behind rocketry. A handful of them are actual members of ATS.

lol lets see if we can conjure one of them here.

Phage! we need your knowledge!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Is it just me or does the thumbnail for that video remind anyone else of a Sybian?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

it can't because immediately outside the rocket is space so pressure cannot build. Unless rockets can pressurize space. But space is allegedly the deepest vacuum

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Du bist zum falschen forum gekommen mein freund

translate.google.com.../de/you've+come+to+the+wrong+forum+my+friend

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NicSign

it can't because immediately outside the rocket is space so pressure cannot build. Unless rockets can pressurize space. But space is allegedly the deepest vacuum

First space isn't a true vacuum, it has stuff in it. Secondly the exiting gasses are creating a pressure bubble outside of the nozzle. All of space doesn't have to be pressurized just the part that that gets pushed against.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

I disagree.

Most of the posters are in fact trying to educate the op.
We as a collective on this thread at least are denying ignorance.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Lol, I think I will stick to actual rocket scientists when it comes to the science behind rocketry. A handful of them are actual members of ATS.

lol lets see if we can conjure one of them here.

Phage! we need your knowledge!

Phage tried.

Many of us have.

Really.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Christ wept.

Here is the simple explanation in PDF, since you didn't bother to read it the last time you brought this subject up in a thread.

It also has a pretty simple explanation of Newton's Laws, which you seem to have trouble understanding.

My suggestion is to actually read it this time.

A rocket actually works better in space than in an atmosphere because the ambient pressure becomes zero and there is no atmospheric drag.

How Rockets Work

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Neither are there firey explosions ala "Star Wars". No fire or sound in a vaccum of space. It's all for the movies kids.

When the "Death Star" from Star Wars blew up...it did so noiselessly, without flames, fire or sound (space has no oxygen).

All our movies and games would be boring without fx and sound....all those space battles we've all seen....would really be a silent "poof!", no fire, no smoke or flames etc....

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

John 8:6
They said this to test Him, in order to have a basis for accusing Him.

Check it, just how deep can # get
Deep as the abyss and brothers is mad fish accept it
[url]Method Man, Bring the Pain[url=/]

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's not true.

If rockets don't work in space then neither would RCS thrusters.(They Do.)

Good hell.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that if one day I go naked inside the ISS releasing all my flatulent propulsion, my face will hit the wall.

It doesn't work If I do that on Earth.

Explain that now.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The rocket pushes on itself. The engine mount to be exact. Thanks for playing though.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

I was taught that rockets and jet engines are not powered by the exhaust hitting the air. They are powered by the force pushing the opposite direction of the exhaust, this force pushes on the top of the combustion chamber.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Heres a youtube video that shows an experiment with a vacuum chamber and soda can. Rockets can move in a vacuum.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Rockets require external resistance, like an atmosphere to push off of. The rocket does not give its exhaust momentum, the momentum is given by pressure gradient force. Just like when you drop an object from a height, your hand doesn't give the object momentum, gravity does. if the object falls fast enough and meets resistance, like the floor, it might bounce back and hit you.

"Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics which states that the momentum of a system is constant if there are no external forces acting on the system. It is embodied in Newton's first law (the law of inertia)."

external force is pressure gradient force, not the rocket

There is no scientific explanation of rocket being able to thrust in a vacuum . Only edited and fake videos. Watch in full before commenting something that is already answered.

Chemical Rockets don't need no stinking O2 to create propulsion.

Seriously, there are more reactions in Chemistry than anyone can imagine. I have a Brother-in-law that did some of the design on the Solid propellant they use. It is so sensitive they set the mixer and went a mile away to push the button. No explosion when they started the mixing but they felt like a mile is too close still.

edit on 5-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: schuyler

I disagree.

Most of the posters are in fact trying to educate the op.
We as a collective on this thread at least are denying ignorance.

At the risk of getting yet another post removed for pointing out the obvious, this is the second go around on this issue. All this has been pointed put before. When told he was off topic he posted an original thread (actually two of them, but that happens.) So when you actually would like to see some progress made, and this happens, it's pretty frustrating.

Here's a good on topic example of a rocket propelling itself in the vacuum of space: www.spacex.com...

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
A bullet will fire in space. Will the pressure from the explosion not force the bullet out? Of course it will, and if you fire it at the expanse of the universe while in space it will give you a little push in the opposite direction. The bullet could travel quite literally forever in space as the universe is expanding so fast it would never catch up.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I dont know the American term for physics, but NicSign was obviously not there the day that they taught it at his school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join