It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing 737 from Gitmo goes off runway into river in Jacksonville, Fla

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It's safer to hit the water.

They were saying that there may have been up to a half inch of water on the runway. I was stationed there in the 80's and have seen some close calls.
Sometimes even a film of water can cause hydroplaning. I remember once my Fiat uno hydroplaned in a drizzle. Seatbelts saved me and my girlfriend

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Am I the only one who thinks there's something fishy here? I mean, I assume there is no commercial airport in Gtmo, so these passengers flew out of Gtmo with their beloved pets in the hold? Why did they have their pets in Gtmo?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Gitmo is a long term posting. Families are stationed there. So when they rotate out there can be children and pets. They have their own runway for planes. It is actually pretty nice. I spent a few days there in 1985.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The left thrust reverser was inop after maintenance was performed on the aircraft. The pilots also requested to change to a runway that had equipment on it, resulting in there being less runway for them to use.

www.bbc.com...

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The left thrust reverser was inop after maintenance was performed on the aircraft. The pilots also requested to change to a runway that had equipment on it, resulting in there being less runway for them to use.

www.bbc.com...
If the left reverse thruster was inop, then even the right one cannot be used, relying purely on brakes. that aircraft shouldn't have been used at all. they are cutting corners here, pretty dangerous

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperboles

Not the first one I've seen with thrust reverses locked out and won't be the last. I agree it's a bad idea, but as long as there's nothing to prohibit it, it's going to keep happening.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
If they would have landed on the correct runway the thrust reversers wouldn't have been an issue. Instead they landed on a runway with a 2000 ft. displaced threshold because of barrier equipment that was rigged to support fleet carrier quals. They had a 15 knot tailwind.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

If they would have landed on the correct runway the thrust reversers wouldn't have been an issue. Instead they landed on a runway with a 2000 ft. displaced threshold because of barrier equipment that was rigged to support fleet carrier quals. They had a 15 knot tailwind.
the pilot should have diverted to another airport

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

He should have used the correct runway. The other airports in the area have shorter runways and that might have been a problem without thrust reversers.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The aircraft was lifted and barged along the river to a hangar for the NTSB to perform their investigation.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

He should have used the correct runway. The other airports in the area have shorter runways and that might have been a problem without thrust reversers.
Pilots always file 2 suitable alternate airports for IFR flights

(post by andy06shake removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   

It's just my pants that are brown mate, it saves on Persil you see.

Plus if you threatened someone with a box cutter over here, most of them would fall over laughing. x

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Jacksonville International and probably Brunswick Georgia. What I was referring to was that a military contractor would prefer to land at a military installation. Sometimes they are carrying sensitive material as cargo and need a way to secure it. I remember sitting at Philadelphia International for 36 hours with a loaded .45 guarding some cruise boxes with classified materials in them. I know the runway at Mayport would have been tight and I'm not sure of the status of the old Cecil Field runway. I know it is active but I think I heard something about a displaced threshold.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shakeLol, mine too. Nutcrackers...?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Even so as a PIC, I would do everything right the first time. you seldom get a second chance
a reply to: JIMC5499

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Do you know i think i actually managed to pull an old pair of Y Fronts from a bottom drawer last week, they were not brown all the same and actually rather more comfortable than i remember them being.

Must be age. LoL

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
More details from the NTSB. The Captain had 1,000 hours in the 737, and the First Officer just 18 in the type.

www.flightglobal.com...
edit on 5/31/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join