It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Minneapolis officer convicted of murder in shooting death of Justine Damond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

#ThePersistence
‏Verified account @ScottPresler
4h4 hours ago

JUSTICE:

Mohamed Noor, a Somalia-born Minneapolis police officer, has been found guilty of murdering Justine Damond.

Justine was an unarmed, white woman, who called 911 to report a possible sexual assault.

I never thought this day would happen.
#JustineDamond

An update to this story...

He was found guilty of 3rd degree murder in the death of Australian Justine Diamond.

Ex-Mi nneapolis officer convicted of murder in shooting death of Justine Damond

A Minnesota jury has found a former Minneapolis police officer guilty of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the July 2017 shooting death of an unarmed woman, CBS Minnesota reported. Mohamed Noor stood trial in the fatal shooting of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a dual U.S.-Australian citizen who approached his squad car minutes after calling 911 to report a possible rape behind her home.

Noor was acquitted of second-degree murder, the station reported.

click link for article...

As the article states he was acquitted of 2nd degree murder.

To help some understand...

When an officer uses deadly force the standard when reviewing it is what did the officer perceive as a threat at the moment of the use of force. The prosecution has to argue the officers actions, aka force used, exceeded the situation based on totality of circumstances. Was the officers force comparable to the present threat. While its on the government to prove an officers guilt its incumbent of the officer to be able to justify their use of force.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Can't wait to see all those racist ant-police morons come along to justify this killing and call this verdict wrong and racist.

Because only certain lives matter...

not the blue or white ones.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

WTF you taking about??

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Can't wait to see all those racist ant-police morons come along to justify this killing and call this verdict wrong and racist.

You don't have to wait. They've already been there and done that.

In a statement, the Somali-American Police Association (SAPA) criticized the jury's decision.

"Officer Noor is the first police officer in Minnesota's history to be convicted of murder while in the line of duty," the statement read. "SAPA believes the institutional prejudices against people of color, including officers of color, have heavily influenced the verdict of this case. The aggressive manner in which the Hennepin County Attorney's Office went after Officer Noor reveals that there were other motives at play other than serving justice."

"SAPA fears the outcome of this case will have a devastating effect on police morale and make the recruitment of minority officers all the more difficult."

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Institutional prejudices affected the jury?

I guess the fact that he shot and killed an unarmed woman that was posing absolutely no threat didn't have anything to do with the verdict.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

In a statement, the Somali-American Police Association (SAPA) criticized the jury's decision.

"Officer Noor is the first police officer in Minnesota's history to be convicted of murder while in the line of duty," the statement read. "SAPA believes the institutional prejudices against people of color, including officers of color, have heavily influenced the verdict of this case. The aggressive manner in which the Hennepin County Attorney's Office went after Officer Noor reveals that there were other motives at play other than serving justice."

"SAPA fears the outcome of this case will have a devastating effect on police morale and make the recruitment of minority officers all the more difficult."

To be fair..it is hard to recruit officers when they are not allowed to kill people for no f---ing reason.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Dear SAPA,

#aussielivesmatter

Regards,

An Aussie

But really come on.....this is unbridled madness for an organisation to be defending the actions of this incompetent individual.

Reverese the roles; "white" police officer shoots unarmed Somalian civillian after calling in a report of sexual assault these same people would be out in the streets screaming for the officer involved to be hanged.

As a sidenote I do think there is a disproportionate amount of white officers murdering black civillians. Does not excuse the maniacal hypocrisy in this case.

edit on 3042019 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Ex-Minneapolis officer convicted of murder in shooting death of Justine Damond

Good, what he did was wrong. Justice served. I would feel no different if he was white.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
FML

These people are probably still trying to help O.J. find the real killer.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Charges sound about right.

Killing a human should not be taken lightly.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
To be fair..it is hard to recruit psychopaths with control issues when they are not allowed to kill people for no f---ing reason.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, this is great news. He'll probably want to be in protective custody for the duration of his stay.
Glad to see this coward has been found guilty.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

As a sidenote I do think there is a disproportionate amount of white officers murdering black civillians. 

You can "think" whatever you want, doesn't make it true.

Infact all statistics and numbers say you're wrong.......

Just saying.....

As to the OP glad people are being held accountable for a senseless murder

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

As a sidenote I do think there is a disproportionate amount of white officers murdering black civillians. Does not excuse the maniacal hypocrisy in this case.

That's because of the media and fake news agendas.

Note, unarmed also includes someone who physically assaulted officers and tried to take their weapons.

according to the Post’s own tally only 2 percent of those who died as a result of police shootings were unarmed black men and boys.

According to the FBI’s “Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted” data collection, in 2016 law enforcement agencies that filed reports tallied 57,180 officers assaulted in the line of duty.

That number only represents data from 12,421 law enforcement agencies – about 70 percent of the 18,000 agencies in the country. So a more realistic estimate of assaults on police last year would be roughly 75,000.

www.foxnews.com...

I believe if you look at the statistics you are more likely to be shot by the police per encounter if you are white.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

At least you’re open and honest about accepting the narrative.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

well said and agree completely.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

I have to ask.... Why TF is there an American-Somali police association? Wtf is wrong with this picture?

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

To yourself OccamsRazor04 and Shamrock6, my thinking is based purely on the statistics I have been privy to which I admit may be rudimentary or misleading.

Happy to review any alternate information you have and for my opinion to be swayed by stats- not saying it does not exist, the opposite in fact, I am keen to see it.

I am in Australia so my finger is not on the pulse on this issue.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   

WaPo and the Guardian both have, or at least have had, a running tally of those killed by American law enforcement. Both of them have, or had, filters that could show race, age, armed/unarmed, etc. The overwhelming majority of those killed were armed at the time of their shooting.

I also authored a thread about the number of encounters between law enforcement and civilians and the use of force in those encounters.

The media does a terrific job of making it sound like unarmed black men are being slaughtered left and right. The numbers simply don’t support that narrative. One extra-judicial killing is one too many, but it is far from the epidemic the media spins it as.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I was shocked that a police officer had actually been convicted! Then I read the article and the light bulb went off.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Aussie woman probably didn't know how to approach police on a call.

Scenario:
Police are in constant fear for their lives.
Police are called to possible rape crime.
When police arrive, aussie woman runs at police cruiser in a darkened area.
Police officer perceives it as a threat to his life.
Police officer kills possible threat.

Not sure if any verbal interaction took place.

IMO, the police officer should have been at the ready to shoot until a threat was assessed instead of making a snap decision, shooting indiscriminately killing the woman. The officer acted out of bounds of his training, so should be convicted, not placed on paid leave and or fired to work in another jurisdiction.

This sort of situation happens often in police encounters where police shoot someone they perceive to be a threat but aren't.

edit on 2-5-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join