It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with US coins?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Anybody here serious into coins?

First let me admit I am not into coins, but do know a little about the grades and stuff. I inherited a coin collection from my late father. Mostly normal stuff, some silver, some un-circulated stuff, some old but well worn stuff.

My main question is about some pennies. He had 5 rolls of 1962D un-circulated pennies in sealed plastic tubes. Normally the 1962D is not worth much, but there have been a few of high grade that have gone for over $500.

One of the rolls had a broken seal so I went through them, and pulled out the best 5. I have no idea of how to grade them myself, just that they look fantastic. All 5 look better than this one, at least to my eye. 1962D on Ebay On this one I see black spots, which some in the roll did have, but the 5 I picked out do not, and seem to have a near mirror finish (not proof).

I know it costs somewhere between $14-$30 to have them professionally graded. If I could get some good images of them, could someone who knows what they are looking at, let me know if it is worthwhile to send them off to be graded, or if it would just be a waste of money.

Thanks!
edit on 30-4-2019 by MrRCflying because: Added pictures

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My son and I collected coins for awhile.

Take them to a coin dealer to help with placing a value on them.

Get a book, research each one online thoroughly, than if you want to sell, there are many options.

Good luck !

edit on 30-4-2019 by Groot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Thanks Groot. I am not sure if I want to sell or not. I have done a lot of research on line, but just do not feel qualified to do any kind of grading. That is why I was looking for a good set of eyes that knows how. I don't want to throw $30 at a coin to be graded, and have it come back with a lower grade worth $5.

I am going to try to get a picture of one.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Don't look at the selling price on Ebay, look at the Sold price.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

True... Very valid point.

Got some pictures. I will get them up in just a few minutes.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
An MS66 coin should be worth $50...but an MS67 coin would be around $2000. It would basically have to be flawless....no way could you tell from a picture. Go to a dealer, see what they have in graded coins. Then you can compare for yourself.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I’ve been collecting and hoarding coins for decades. I like to think I’m very knowledgeable when it comes to coins however I learn something new everyday. Download an app called coin facts. I use it quite often, also an app called price guide.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Don’t touch them!!!

You can’t grade them yourself. It costs money to send them out to a certified coin appraiser. Lots of money per any coin (compared to the face value).

Uncirculated will always be worth more. Those look like nice pennies!

**Do not open anymore tubes**

“Mint State” is for uncirculated coins with 70 being perfect. Most are 69, 68, and below. When you open the tubes they become regular circulated coins and their value drops.

Remember! ***DO NOT OPEN ANY MORE TUBES***

top topics

join