It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steam Power!! WOW!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Wow!!! I just looked it up and last year was the last year they were offering said trip at all albeit ticketing was determined by a lottery.

All because some jackass apparently killed themselves while taking photographs of the 844 last year upon departure from Denver.. I'm not making that up! What the hell.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

spectacular

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
AM, I've done a lot of cool stuff in my life, but I've never ridden behind UP 844. I can only wish.

You are a privileged man.

Respect.

I actually liked the 3985 better, not that the ride on the 844 was bad. They did a photo flyby where they let us off, backed up the train and then went past at full steam. UP stopped running these for shareholders now so I haven't had a chance to do it again without trying to get tickets along with the general public.

edit on 1-5-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Wow!!! I just looked it up and last year was the last year they were offering said trip at all albeit ticketing was determined by a lottery.

Yup, I lottery-ed three times actually but the one year I couldn't make it due to other commitments.

All because some jackass apparently killed themselves while taking photographs of the 844 last year upon departure from Denver.. I'm not making that up! What the hell.

I've also been on the 6936 which was out of commission for years when some retard drove a dump truck in front of it.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Somewhere back east. Their challenge right now is their 'turn table' will not handle the massive 1.2 million pound locomotive, and they question whether their bridges and trestles leading out of the area are incapable of taking it's astronomical weight. So I guess what they're doing now is evaluating how much it will cost in infrastructure to get it out to the heavy rail lines out west.

That's the one in Steamtown at Scranton, PA. I doubt they will restore it, the museum doesn't have the funds. UP spent millions on the 4014.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

That was a brilliant watch and it put a huge smile on my face, so thanks for sharing!

I've never seen a steam engine 'in the flesh', so to speak, but I'd love to, for sure!

As a side-note, I have a sculpture of the Flying Scottsman (4472) carved from a solid lump of coal that I'm rather fond of,

I'm just the custodian, it belonged to my late Grandfather and I'm taking care of it for my Cousin, until he gets a place to live and his life in order.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

That is a VERY cool item!!

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The A4 Mallard , Beauty in steam built in 1938.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

My husband and I love old steam trains.We have several DVD's of
documentaries of steam trains and the 4014 is one of the trains
shown on these.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
this is the best thread ive read here in a very long time...wonderful!!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You might like this. 4014 and 844 double heading out of Cheyenne:

At speed on the UP main heading to Laramie:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That was cool!!

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth