It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Measurements Confirm There's Something Weird About How the Universe Is Expanding

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Interesting article that takes a look at the recent Hubble Space Telescope announcement that new measurements show the expansion of the Universe is accelerating , according to the article the results seem to show that the local Universe is expanding faster than the far Universe.

Basically—when scientists look farther away, the Universe seems to be expanding more slowly than when they look at the local Universe.

The new measurement officially makes the discrepancy significant enough that it’s implausible that it’s coming from random statistical fluctuations in the data. On top of that, other tests seem to show that the discrepancy isn’t caused by errors in any of the measurements. This means that the experiments might be measuring a feature of the Universe not explained by the most-accepted theory of cosmology.

It’s hard to say what’s truly going on, but the next step is clear. “Continued pursuit in precision in the determination of [the Hubble constant] is... needed to transition from the discovery of a difference to a diagnosis of its source,” the study authors write.
gizmodo.com...

Here's a Link to the paper submitted by the Hubble astronomers which I'll admit I haven't read because it will both confuse and fry my mind but for anyone with a brain the size of a small planet it's there for your perusal.

The Universe is a weird place but it may have just gotten a little weirder.

edit on 27-4-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Makes me think our universe is on the other side of a black hole. Interesting stuff, thanks for the info.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
All it probably says is that the universe was not following the theories they created about it's origion. I suppose writing the universe a ticket and fining it is in order, if it does not start complying with our scientists, it could even be jailed. The Universe is nervous now, it knows it is doing something it should not be doing, This new evidence will get buried shortly and big bang theorists will try to twist it to fit their theory.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

To be fair it won't just be the big bang theorists as you suggested. All the different theorists will be twisting their models to fit - it's what 'scientists' do these days

Also look to history - those with new ideas, paradigms are generally not treated well - too many vested interests in the status quo.

Why do you think critical thinking is so actively discouraged starting in early schooling ?

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
"when scientists look farther away, the Universe seems to be expanding more slowly than when they look at the local Universe."

Hmm, I wonder if this might be caused by relativistic time dilation. As the most distant galaxies are receding from us at a significant fraction of the speed of light, they also appear slowed down in time.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
New Hubble measurements confirm universe is expanding faster than expected

New measurements from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope confirm that the Universe is expanding about 9% faster than expected based on its trajectory seen shortly after the big bang, astronomers say.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Indulge me for a minute while I get waaaaay out there...What if there are no "laws" of nature, but just "habits" of nature?

Suppose that the universe is actually alive. Maybe not in the way we think of it, but it is indeed alive in some way, and able to make decisions, affect change to its environment, etc. Just on a time scale that's incredibly longer and slower than we can observe from our short time in this existence.

As we know, the behavior of a living creature is generally predictable, because living beings develop habits that guide their decisions. But habits can change, usually gradually, but occasionally quickly.

What if what we observe as "laws" of nature, are in fact just "habits" of nature that the living universe has developed over time, but can change at will? The speed of light, gravity, physics and chemistry itself, maybe these are not actually constants and permanent traits of our universe, but rather just the way the living universe chooses to behave in this particular time and space? And in the past it was different, and in the future it will be different, because people/creatures/entities inevitably change over time.

OK, I'm going to put down the Ayahuasca now...

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Let us entertain the idea our Universe did start from a black hole that hit another black hole and bam .
So then it starts expanding out from the explosion .
Well only one true question needs to be learned . Did the explosion create enough momenta to over come the gravitational pull from all the mass .
If the answer is yes it will just keep expanding . If the answer is no then it will SLOW down and slowly start condensing in the bang condense bang theory .
Now being the outer edge is so much farther away and has already had the maxim time to start slowing you would see this effect of it going slower then more towards the center would be .
Of coarse this does not mean it will condense again it just means the gravity of all that mass is slowing it down slowly .
O and yes it could be time dilation as well after all we do see red shift as well .

So is the mass enough to revers the outward expansion of the universe or is it not .
Well I dout we will know in our lift times as the math would take a AI that had more computing power then well then imaginable and even its Intelligence lv may not be up to the task .

The smartest man every had a IQ of 275 or so the AI could easily have a IQ of 10,000 but is it enough to do the job ?

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thanks for posting. Good read.

Whenever I try to get my head around Space-Time (what it is or how it expands) I can really see why professionals struggle with this.

Let's assume they have indeed accounted for everything and they still get what they get. Why would ST expand differently at location A than location B? What is affecting it? Is there something outside the edge of the expanded ST pushing back? Something that does not have any affect on ST away from the edge?

I have no idea

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, I'll just contend with the fact that at our tier level, we'll never know.

The universe functions in a way beyond our comprehension, for now at least.

Maybe some more evolving, the next greatest mind to enter the scene, so to speak, to signify and usher in the era of Homo Superior.

Perhaps that is one thing a species finds out along their journey of advancement, whether they be destroyed or destroy themselves, the great hurdles and obstacles encompass both the natural and unnatural.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Basically—when scientists look farther away, the Universe seems to be expanding more slowly than when they look at the local Universe.

Maybe it's as simple as our equipment not giving back accurate date?

Maybe we should stop assuming the universe is weird and start looking at how we view it?

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
a reply to: rickymouse

To be fair it won't just be the big bang theorists as you suggested. All the different theorists will be twisting their models to fit - it's what 'scientists' do these days

rickymouse wrote: " This new evidence will get buried shortly and big bang theorists will try to twist it to fit their theory."

all true scientists will tweak a theory based on new evidence. that is the nature of science. very few things are actually, truly settled, just mostly settled. a new bit of info will polish the theory and make it more complete, or destroy it outright. science is littered with discarded theories that new evidence just busts big holes in, like the theories of spontaneous generation, Aristotelian physics, Ptolemaic system and many, many more.

that is why science is so much better than religion. science adjusts to see the world as it is, religion wants to adjust the world to fit its view.

a "scientific theory" is the best explanation for an event based on the facts at hand. it must also be predictive. if x happens than y must follow kinda thing. one experiment does not a theory make, but a collection of experiments involving different aspects of the phenomena does. a theory is difficult to create, but easy to destroy. spontaneous generation was completely destroyed by one experiment by Pasteur.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This just in:

Scientists have no idea wtf is going on, but will continue to teach the latest theory as indisputable fact to keep their grants going.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
This just in:

Scientists have no idea wtf is going on, but will continue to teach the latest theory as indisputable fact to keep their grants going.

The reason you can post that drivel is because of scientists and theories ... go figure !

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

So that plains why time feels like it's passing faster...

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Interesting article that takes a look at the recent Hubble Space Telescope announcement that new measurements show the expansion of the Universe is accelerating , according to the article the results seem to show that the local Universe is expanding faster than the far Universe.

Basically—when scientists look farther away, the Universe seems to be expanding more slowly than when they look at the local Universe...

Would it not make more sense, (since the further we look out into space, the farther back we are looking in time):
To say: The closer, (more recent), universe, seems to be expanding faster than the far (older) universe?
So: expanding quicker now, than it was?

PS: Thanks for that thing that you do, making my coat waterproof, yet comfortably breathable!

edit on 27-4-2019 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
1) The Universe started as a singularity containing all energy , mass , and possibly time
2) The Universe started expanding in all directions , creating "space" as it expanded
3) Nothing is infinite , especially energy .
4) The outside "edges" are slowing in expansion as it would , by nature , be first to start slowing .

The Universe is losing the energy (whatever that may be) to expand and create the space/time fabric.
This is merely an extrapolation on my part.

edit on 4/27/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Let us entertain the idea our Universe did start from a black hole that hit another black hole and bam .

Let us not.
There would have been absolutely zilch to create a black hole "gravity well" , much less two.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
1) The Universe started as a singularity containing all energy , mass , and possibly time
2) The Universe started expanding in all directions , creating "space" as it expanded
3) Nothing is infinite , especially energy .
4) The outside "edges" are slowing in expansion as it would , by nature , be first to start slowing .

The Universe is losing the energy (whatever that may be) to expand and create the space/time fabric.
This is merely an extrapolation on my part.

Agree, eventually The Universe will stop expanding and will just sit there.

I know in the vacuum of space it’s not supposed to happen, but there are probably other universes outside ours which are also expanding, once all these “shockwaves” from big bangs meet it maybe slows down the edges as the shockwaves merge.

There wasn’t / isn’t one Big Bang, they are goin on all the time.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Agree, eventually The Universe will stop expanding and will just sit there.

Unless some popular theories are correct and the universe starts the "Great Contraction"
We in for a HADES of a ride...
The infinite universes in the multiverse exist in a separate space in the 11th (12th ?) dimension , outside of ours.

edit on 4/27/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join