It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines' Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back garbage or 'we will declare war'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: shooterbrody

Does this plonker realise that if he declares war on Canada, he is also declaring war on NATO ?

From the quotes I posted I don't think the "plonker" cares.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

And all this time I though the canuks were so lovable......

We are lovable, it's just the retarded douche bags we elected to run this country.

I too wondered what war between the Philippines and Canada might look like.
Turns out I won't worry about it too much: Most powerful militaries.
Canada is 25th
Philippines is 52nd
Not sure on the accuracy but I think we're safe here.

Eh, it's bluster. Won't turn into anything.

But for fun: Neither has a real naval force to speak of. Neither has the long-range air assets necessary to hit each other. Canada has a slight numbers advantage, but the Phillipine military has been engaged in active combat against communist and muslim insurgents in their country for decades and doesn't have the same, err, moral compunction that Canada would when it comes to combat. They play for keeps.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Are you saying the Filipinos would fight dirty?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Manila says the containers, which arrived at Manila International Container Port, were falsely labelled as containing plastics meant for recycling and were in fact filled with tonnes of household waste.

Philippines officials first raised the issue with Canada in 2014.

www.bbc.com...

So why 5 years later is nothing done? Duterte is right.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

They would do what's necessary... In love and war, all bets are off. I date a filipino girl, and I've been to the country many times. They are very loving people, that's why you see so many fiipinos in medical (nurses) and hospitality roles, but even the nicest of people have limits. They are sick of being taken advantage of, and they dont want this garbage from a western country, and are being ignored when they ask them to take it back. The President is spending a lot of effort to clean up his country, with a hard stance on drugs, to closing popular tourist areas to be cleaned, to telling countries to take their garbage back.. I dont blame him one bit. The Philippines is a gorgeous country, and has loads of potential if its not taken advantage of.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

What would canadian "household waste" consist of?
Empty maple syrup and Labatt Blue bottles?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Strange...Why ship garbage to the Philippines? African deserts are usually the go to place for 1st world electronic trash...

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Given the longstanding ties with the United States and Australia, it is natural that some elements of the Philippine defense establishment harbor discomfort with the country’s increasing closeness with China and Russia. However, diversification of trade and security partners, including arms and energy suppliers, is integral to Duterte’s thrust for a proactive independent foreign policy, a constitutional dictum that enjoys broad-based support. Moving away from over-reliance on the United States, staying out of great power rivalries to mitigate chances of collateral damage, and expanding economic and security ties with other Asian partners are key features of this policy. This openness to all is reflected in the flurry of foreign goodwill naval and coast guard visits that the country has received in the two years since Duterte came into power, with American, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Indian vessels coming to Philippine ports.

Furthermore, Duterte has demonstrated that he is not afraid to push back and call out great powers. He challenged the United States to more publicly demonstrate its commitment to alliances. He also criticized China for its excessive claims and threatening actions in the South China Sea. Under his leadership, the Philippines will continue to hedge its bets, careful not to count too much on U.S. treaty commitments, especially under a seemingly transactional and protectionist Trump administration. At the same time, while recognizing that maritime disputes are not the sum total of Philippines-China relations, incidents at sea and other worrisome developments will continue to be raised in established bilateral and regional dialogue channels. “Red lines” intimated to China will also be kept. Government efforts to accelerate infrastructure projects, in which China is a key partner, will continue to be guided by the lessons of other host states working with Chinese contractors.

Duterte Anti-West swagger

After reading the full article linked, I don't think he is a complete nut job nor bluffing. He is in a win / win situation.

If anything...he is calling out Canada rightly with dramatic flair. I mean come on...NATO is not going to go to war over Canada wrongly refusing to clean up their own crap.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Australia sheops theirs to Malaysia through Chinese companies running illegal "recycling" companies.
Any garbage they can't turn a profit on gets dumped in massive illegal landfills, then the companies disappear overnight with their profits.

China stopped accepting plastic garbage- where do you think it all goes now?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Exactly! He's bringing attention to the situation in dramatic fashion, essentially forcing news outlets to cover it. No war will come from it, but it will bring attention to the mess, and will force Canada's hand to respond to it. Either they claim they'll take it back, or they will look horrible on the global stage.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

I'm saying only that the rules governing modern warfare are very vague and the Western Democracy's interpretation of those rules and conventions would not be necessarily shared by people in the rest of the world.

The Geneva Convention requires combatants to avoid "excessive" civilian casualties in respect to military advantage gained by said action. Other sections deal with "reasonable" efforts to avoid different outcomes.

As Harriet says in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" when asked how many people she has brutally murdered, "Well, brutal's a subjective term. What's brutal to one person might be entirely reasonable to someone else."

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Per the article ...

An inspection found that some contained plastic bottles and bags, household garbage, and used adult nappies (diapers).

Another inspection of the remaining containers in 2015 found they contained non-hazardous municipal waste, including household and street garbage.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

They would do what's necessary...

Great post. Whole thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Why doesnt just sue the company, based in Canada, and easily win?

Seems like he needs a scapegoat to keep his popularity up.

Did he run out of coke heads and heroine addicts to murder?

What's next after he gets all the Canadian garbage removed and still sees his developing nation riddle with trash? Start shooting people who dont recycle?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Right. He has nothing to lose. The more air time it gets around the world, the more embarrassment and pressure Canada feels. There is zero danger of an actual shooting war breaking out. It's "strenuous negotiation".

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Why doesnt just sue the company, based in Canada, and easily win?

Seems like he needs a scapegoat to keep his popularity up.

Did he run out of coke heads and heroine addicts to murder?

What's next after he gets all the Canadian garbage removed and still sees his developing nation riddle with trash? Start shooting people who dont recycle?

I think you need to educate yourself on all the things he's doing in the country. He's already cleaned up some popular areas, like Boracay, with the rules he brought in... From the sound of your post, you are upset he has a zero tolerance policy on drugs/drug users/drug dealers? I suppose the way of the USA is better, where we enable addicts and give them safe injection sites and needle disposing areas, but what do i know...

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

www.rappler.com...

Environment group EcoWaste Coalition sends letters to Trudeau and the Canadian Environment Minister, saying that the presence of Canada’s trash in the country’s port is immoral and illegal. The group said that the shipment of garbage violates the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal.

The convention, ratified by both Canada and the Philippines, states that the management of such waste “may not under any circumstances be transferred to the States of import or transit.”

Canada appears to be in direct violation of a treaty/international pact... historically speaking, many wars have started because one nation opts to not follow their commitment to a pact.

The Bureau of Customs discovers the garbage on January 21, 2014 when they open container vans as part of procedures on shipments not claimed for a long period of time.

The 18 vans opened by the Bureau contains plastic bottles, plastic bags, newspapers, household garbage, and used adult diapers. The discovered waste are classified as hazardous as per Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Waste and Control Act of 1990, or Republic Act 6969.

Ugh, used adult diapers... Come on Canada, clean your snip up already!

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: ShadowLink

And all this time I though the canuks were so lovable......

We are lovable, it's just the retarded douche bags we elected to run this country.

I too wondered what war between the Philippines and Canada might look like.
Turns out I won't worry about it too much: Most powerful militaries.
Canada is 25th
Philippines is 52nd
Not sure on the accuracy but I think we're safe here.

Eh, it's bluster. Won't turn into anything.

But for fun: Neither has a real naval force to speak of. Neither has the long-range air assets necessary to hit each other. Canada has a slight numbers advantage, but the Phillipine military has been engaged in active combat against communist and muslim insurgents in their country for decades and doesn't have the same, err, moral compunction that Canada would when it comes to combat. They play for keeps.

Canadian troops have been in war since Iraqi war. Canada has a strong task force, but lack numbers which totally screw the country over. Apart from that, they are too reliant on US tech today more than ever. Not very good for a country when it comes to defense. Even Japanese Self Defense force is much better number wise. The only way Canadians can get a force big enough is go conscription mode like WW2. But, in today's era it is going to be too late. The requirements of joining Canadian military is too much(yes, I've read the requirements like running 1 km, I'm like wtf is this #. This is not how you recruit soldiers). People need to be trained to reduce their fat.

Canadian following US troops to battle is basically ruining Canada itself because no one wants to join since the fake Iraqi war. Canadian Gov did not listen to its own people for following US orders under so called NATO. This a karma right now. US can't takeover Canada militarily either because it will be too obvious for world powers to attack US world wide. Canada has screwed itself over. Any Canadian spy reading this you'll know. "What comes around goes around."

Not even aliens want to do deals with Canada.

You lost Canada. Stop following US/NATO orders, its a trap.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

You speak as one who does not know. Filipinos love Duterte because of how hard he works for the people there.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

It is a big problem that is getting bigger.

I am pretty sure the situation in the United States is worse. China stopped taking our waste, our landfills are over capacity, and recycling is either a scam or a joke.

Who knew Wall-E was going to be prophetic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join