It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION ideology is political and intellectual poison

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I was researching Shamanism recently and kept bumping into the "cultural appropriation" ideology intellectually on Wikipedia in many articles. It has infested academia in the most ridiculous way.

As an ideology it is warped and insane. It has no place in academia. It is a self annihilating ideology and an utter contradiction. The whole of our evolution and development culturally has depended on continual cultural appropriation. If we had never copied the Romans then we would never have been born as a civilization. Even Judaism has depended on cultural appropriation. The names Joseph and Moses are not Hebrew names. Jewish culture has depended on many other cultures for its own evolution. It has depended on Greek culture very heavily indeed and without the Greek influence we would not even have the Bible as we know it today. The New Testament was mainly composed from Greek written documents. The Old Testament would not exist in its current form were it not for Hebrew exposure to Babylonian and Greek civilization. Without Abraham there would be no Judaism and Abraham came from what is today Southern Iraq. If we are to take cultural appropriation seriously then we in Britain should not have roads or sewers because they were introduced to us via our exposure to Roman inventions, which in turn were suggested by even earlier cultures like Babylon and much earlier too. Ultimately we should all be banned from everything and only the first splitting cell has intellectual and cultural copyright.

Everything we think and develop depends on an earlier version from another culture. Every civilized culture has culturally appropriated its identity from other cultures. Civilization has depended on this since Mesopotamia. Even Mesopotamia got its start from earler Southern Turkish advances. Romans got their gods and goddesses from many other cultures. They were highly efficient cultural appropriators and without Greek civilization there would have been no Rome. There would have been no Greek civilization without the Egyptians and the Babylonians. Babylon taught the Greeks most of what they knew. It has been like this all the way. We can't say India is really India as an isolated and forever standing still culture because it originated from other cultures too. It is this culture right now but yesterday it was in Persia and tomorrow it will yet be another kind of India (because nothing ever stands still).

Did Britain ever stand still? No, even our Stonehenge is now believed to have been built by Turkish settlers. Every idea comes from somewhere else, because, as Solomon said,

"There is nothing new under the Sun".

The globalists have continually contradicted themselves. They want to rid us of state borders yet the liberalism and misguided minority enforcing ideologies from their own laboratory attempt to impose cultural borders on us all. How can you have globalism if you invent such ridiculously ignorant and naive ideologies like cultural appropriation? How could we have a Trump and Melania without Slovenia and Germany?

Ancestry. Donald Trump's paternal ancestry is traceable to Bobenheim am Berg, a village in the Palatinate, Germany, in the 18th century. Johann Trump, born in Bobenheim in 1789, moved to the nearby village of Kallstadt where his grandson, Friedrich Trump, the grandfather of Donald Trump, was born in 1869.

Trump and Melania are as American as the Statue of Liberty yet they both are only recently appropriated from Slovenia and Germany. Should we tell Afro people they should not be allowed to play guitar or even speak English because it is cultural appropriation? Should we tell the Caucasian conga player he must stop because the congas came from Africa? Should we tear the skin off my arm because I have a tattoo of the Lion of Judah that is an Ethiopian design? The United States of America is one huge culture appropriating melting pot, just like Rome in that respect, built from a whole world of cultural influences, from Indigenous Native American to Bohemian President Trump.

Our whole evolution has utterly depended on cultural appropriation. Civilization would not have continued without cultural appropriation. We should not have any Christianity because Jesus was Jewish and His ideas came from another culture. We are appropriating certain Hebrew cultural ideas and values if we allow His influence. Christianity could never have spread without cultural appropriation. Judaism would not exist without it.

Jesus told His followers to spread the Word the whole world over. That involved deliberately exposing other cultures to His teaching and for them to culturally appropriate His world view and cultural practices.

Cultural appropriation is academia's worst enemy. It will shut down cultural evolution. If we practice globalism then cultural isolation is impossible. It is fundamentally impossible to isolate culture. China are doing their best, but it will ultimately be their undoing as they have had to resort to Hitler like tactics against Islam in some provinces and alliances with other states only last so long when we create alliances based on debt. Globalism depends on global exposure for all nations. Cultural appropriation ideology is the worst enemy of globalism yet liberal globalists and minority bitterness invented this ridiculous ideology.

Human evolution depended on cultural appropriation the whole journey long.

edit on 24-4-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen

www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-4-2019 by Samanth9956 because: For a Tittle

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Samanth9956

The most interesting people I know Like you...even if they dislike the concept of jesus.

Seriously.

Edit to add - They like the idea of talking. You'll disappoint them...and me. But we're still looking forward to your stoRies when you figure it out.
edit on 24-4-2019 by Samanth9956 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

Maybe we should tell ethnic restaurants that they can't serve food to people that don't 'match' their culture. Only Chinese may patronize Chinese restaurants.
That would piss them off.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Maybe we should tell ethnic restaurants that they can't serve food to people that don't 'match' their culture. Only Chinese may patronize Chinese restaurants.

What part of you thinks that is a good idea?

Aside from the idea that you're just racist, multilingual people live longer.

www.science20.com...
edit on 24-4-2019 by Samanth9956 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Lol, exactly.

Time for the West to wise up to its prepostourous ideological inventions.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Always found it funny how the same people accusing others of cultural appropriation are also the same ones accusing people of not embracing new cultures and even whining about a lac of authenticity.

As an example, lets look at curry.

We hear that Tikka Massala is a uk dish, not Indian, Vindaloo shouldn't be hot, none of it should contain beef and the list goes on.

Then we have Gordon Ramsey castigated for naming his Asian restaurant "Lucky cat" and for serving dishes of many nationalities.

What's the point? I mean really?

We have things like Tikka Massala because an Indian made Tikka and a Brit gave him the idea of adding a sauce to it and serving it on a plate in a circle of rice.

We have Baltis because the people of Birmingham hit upon making a thick curry with peppers and tomatoes and serving it sans rice with huge naan breads...And it was such a hit that people took the idea to India and started making it there.

Vindaloo comes from Goa, which used to be run by the Portugese who liked wine (vin) and potatoes(aloo) in their stew.
Then, the British Indians added a bit more heat to help sober up drunkards like me who rolled in after closing time at the pub and now we have OUR vindaloo.

None of this is cultural appropriation, it's a mixing of cultures that makes for a slightly better world.

If we can't pick and adapt bits of each other's cultures, we ought to be allowed to live separately.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Samanth9956

www.science20.com...

The member is being tongue in cheek. They are using irony to make a point. Don't take it literally. It is just making a point and showing up a ludicrous lapse of reasoning on the part of followers of the cultural appropriation bandwagon.

irony1 /ˈʌɪrəni/ noun noun: irony the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Years ago I wrote a song with these lyrics, kind of a Bob Dylan folk song,

"The bandwagon recruits all wait
For a sense of purpose to relate
Their attitudes that lie in state
Before they've left the garden gate".

Ideologies at best are only temporally based and quickly reach their sell by date. At worst they are as destructive to civilization as Communism or Fascism. Nothing can stand still in creation. Liberalism manufactures ideology with no regard for the consequences of implementation. It wears them like the latest fashion design that will be tomorrow's rags. Liberalism is a fashion house for ideologies, like the emperor's new clothes that are in fact exposing him naked and inane in his vanity for his invisible luxury garb that in reality does not exist. As we know,

"Even the President of the United States
Must sometimes have to stand naked". (Bob Dyan)

If it were not so serious it would be funny. When such ideology threatens our usual freedom and even the process of evolution itself it is time to play the iconoclast,

2 Chronicles 23:17

All the people went to the temple of Baal and tore it down. They smashed the altars and idols and killed Mattan the priest of Baal in front of the altars.

Yes, even the Hebrews had their own liberalism as a constant self harming threat. Cultural appropriation did not work out too well for them that time and was an agent of their own destruction many times. For us to maintain cultural purity we would have to go back to the splitting cell. The awful irony of this is that if we want to go keeping something pure we will end up doing a Hitler in this modern global world.

It appears we depend on appropriation, but must constantly tackle our worst enemies which come from the ideologies of our own invention. It is the easiest thing in the world to engage in actions that are self harming and self defeating. Consciousness and foresight, constant critical analysis and evauation are required. Bandying invented ideologies will not save us. The idols that threaten us must be dealt with. I wrote in a thread before about the nature of ideology: id(e)ology and "idology".

edit on 24-4-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

How ironic!

Chinese would have to be banned from Chinese restaurants in the USA because most "Chinese" food isn't Chinese at all. In fact, in Asia true 'Chinese' food doesn't resemble most of the stuff you see here at all.

Consequently, only Americans would be allowed into a Chinese restaurant.

How ironic.

Same could be said for many Italian restaurants and Mexican restaurants. Italians wouldn't be allowed to eat spaghetti & meatballs, and Mexican's wouldn't be allowed to eat Fajitas!

And most ironic of all...

Americans wouldn't be allowed to eat...APPLE PIE!

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

How about hot dogs?
Are they really German?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

www.science20.com...

You just called me a racist.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

www.science20.com...

Is that culturally inappropriate?

Or a badge?

Honest question.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Walk down any main street in San Francisco and tell me about cultural appropriation!

You'll see some hermaphodite, who identifies as a harbor seal, thinks they're Pocahontas and is dressed up in a Batman outfit!

Then tell me about...cultural appropriation!

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

www.science20.com...

Is that culturally inappropriate?

Or a badge?

Honest question.

Neither.
It is a false statement.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Yep!

And the French would be banned from eating Croissants too. They're Austrian.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Well then, please accept my apologies.

This site is reeking with intolerance so I just assumed.

That's my bad.

edit on 24-4-2019 by Samanth9956 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
And of course so much of this happens because foods and activities have to be adapted to fit the local tastes and availabilities. Some food ingredients may not be available halfway across the world. Some peoples may culturally have a slightly different way of doing a thing. Those will impact how a thing is done.

I doubt American yoga resembles Indian yoga for example (one is likely to be far more spiritual in nature), just like American versions of certain cuisines are also very different.

Look at how there are regional variances in BBQ which is by itself a distinctly American cuisine. It differs depending on whether you're talking Memphis, South Carolina, Texas or Kansas City.
edit on 24-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Well then, please accept my apologies.

This site is reeking with intolerance so I just assumed.

That's my bad.

Accepted, although not necessary.
It's all good.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Samanth9956

You know what assumptions make out of you.

Btw, are you sure the intolerance actually is or is it simply people having frank discussion? Particularly people who know one another fairly well? How long have you actually been around, and I mean as a lurker to have figured that out.

Also, keep in mind that intolerance goes all different directions.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I have no idea what you are talking about.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join