It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Well the "trump sucks" method doesnt work so now they are using the "get free stuff" method.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: grey580

Welcome to the European Model of Education.

But some people would rather complain about how American kids are getting "dumber" (although our IQ is actually rising) while refusing to actually admit that Europe's education model may be the reason they outrank us.

Our education system definitely needs an overhaul.
But I will say one thing.

I was at trine university last week.
It's a very good college.

You wouldn't believe how many foreign students attend that college. Arab, Asian, European.

They came to America for a fine education.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I wouldn't limit it to just STEM.

One of the big problems in this country is lack of education. Which just leads to poverty, crime etc. If we give people more opportunities to better themselves. Everyone wins.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

So Elizabeth Warren comes in to create a government solution to a problem government largely created by making college affordable to all through nationalized student loans?

Say it isn't so! Some of us see this pattern and saw it then.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I wouldn't limit it to just STEM.

One of the big problems in this country is lack of education. Which just leads to poverty, crime etc. If we give people more opportunities to better themselves. Everyone wins.

Yes because the best thing to offer a high school illiterate is college!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

What a dumb plan. Made 99k? Here is your 50k. Not so fast Mr. 101k with 5 kids, you are not forgiven.

If you dont have enough bubblegum for the entire class then leave it at home.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I would go with some degrees outside of stem.
But I get very tired of business management degrees coming across my desk.

You could put teaching degrees into the mix.
I would also be cool with minors in subjects outside of the stem fields.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So Elizabeth Warren comes in to create a government solution to a problem government largely created by making college affordable to all through nationalized student loans?

Say it isn't so! Some of us see this pattern and saw it then.

Santa buying votes... promises of free stuff.

I promise to rob from the people you are envious of and hate (and everyone else) to allow you to pay a school for a useless degree if you will vote for me!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Those already exist. This will mean that the smartest kids from each demographic will be able to go to college.

Why don't you want smart, poor, white kids to go to go to university?

It also gives kids freer access to trade schools. Isn't one of the biggest complaints of the Right that no one knows a trade skill anymore? This would give kids the path to pursue a trade and get off the street.

The price tag may seem scary but in the end it essentially solves most of the problems the Right complains about. It gives us a student population that will actually achieve things. It brings back American Made. And it gets kids off the street because it gives them options other than slinging drugs on the corner.

In the end the American economy will be stronger and we will easily make the money back.

So where's the bad?

If it was the right suggesting this you can bet that the repubs would be arguing those very same points that you list , to a left that would be saying no.

This isn't about whether the idea is a good one or not. It's about who first came up with that idea.

And sadly in modern america the parties would both rather see us all low instead of allowing the other side a win.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

What a Schrodinger's Box scenario. The American university system is superior because we have the most prestigious universities. At the same time our most prestigious universities are actually terrible because they're liberal brainwashing centers.

Which is it? Is Harvard amazing? Or is it actually just a name and a school like Patrick Henry is actually the best school in the US?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think the thing we can count on for the next few months is Pelosi, Waters and Warren making absurd comments and suggestions.

Democrats will reach crisis level by the end of the year. Each day brings more disarray ...

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Exactly.

Universal healthcare also makes more sense from an economic sense because it leads to less sick days and higher productivity.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Ivy league degrees haven't been all that impressive for many years. Just rich people getting their kids in and diversity requirements keeping many of the best students out.
Ask the asians.

The university system is broken and it all started when the government got into the college loan business.

When the government gets involved it is always screwed up. Just look at a gas can....ugh

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Exactly.

Universal healthcare also makes more sense from an economic sense because it leads to less sick days and higher productivity.

You're probably right but not without a major healthcare overhaul.
All of Europe has government healthcare which is controlled by the government, not by hospitals and doctors.

But we should also realize that mick jagger had heart surgery in New York and not in jolly ole England where it would have been free.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

So then the Republicans ruined the university system.

I mean the government first got in to the student loan game in 1958.

Maybe we should give the Dems a chance to fix it.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Exactly.

For truth, I mean if you can't see your doctor because of the wait time, then you might as well work. That leads to less sick time and higher productivity!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Now there's a nightmarish can of worms, it's plan is pretty scary too. Funny how they always like spending other-people's-money. Ask them to share though, lol. I wonder if polcalizbeth would let homeless people tent in her backyard, let them use her bathrooms, share her food, give them an allowance, etc.?

Cheers - Dave

Hell no. That's our job she says.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I've said in the past that the US could easily transition to the Dutch model of healthcare. It still keeps private insurance but requires those companies to operate as a non-profit for the most part.

As to your anecdote, Mick Jagger lives in the US.

link   

So then the Republicans ruined the university system.

I mean the government first got in to the student loan game in 1958.

Maybe we should give the Dems a chance to fix it.

Using that logic the Republicans ended slavery so they should be better at dealing with race relations.

Wouldn't we be better dealing with the issues of today with the politicians of today?

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

They did. They nationalized it under Obama. You must have been paying about as much attention as Maxine Waters was when she voted to do it.

All student loan money since the early '00s has been through the government. And incidentally, the student loan debt balloon has exploded since then too, but that must be a symptom of something else and not cheap, free credit from a predatory lender.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join