It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Elizabeth warren is on the warpath!
Can I say that now?
What with her not really being a native....

Anyway, she wants to forgive $50k in student debt in households making less than $100k.
The plan calls for free tuition also.

The dollar cost you ask?
$1.25 trillion over 10 years.....estimated
So add 50% to the estimate.

How to pay for it? Well duh.

The revenue from Warren's wealth tax proposal -- a 2% tax on wealth above $50 million and a 3% tax on wealth above $1 billion.

Anybody want to guess what will happen when you give everyone free tuition?
Not to mention there is already a student housing shortfall. Not sure where all these kids are going to live..

I have a better plan.
Free tuition to kids seeking a "stem" degree.
They must pass a rigorous screening exam to show their capabilities in each field.
You get 5 years to earn your 4 year degree "illness exemption" or you repay the tuition.
They must remain employed in the country for 15 years after graduation.
Top 10% may pursue a doctorate free of charge under the same conditions.

Paid for by the elimination of all foreign aid.
Secondly by closing military bases around the world. Korea will just have to buy some tanks with their Kia money.

We dont need any more kids with business management and sociology degrees running around.

www.google.com...

Opinions?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Its all these progressives have, besides trying to obstruct everything Trump attempts to do.
Its their only hope for 2020.
#FreeStuff

#Trump2020

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I saw her tweet the other day, where she states, "consequences are everywhere" and "We're crushing an entire generation with student loan debt."

I’m calling for universal free college and the cancellation of student loan debt for more than 95% of Americans. This is the kind of big, structural change we need to make sure our kids have opportunity in this country.

twitter.com...

"Consequences Are Everywhere." Yep and you'll crush "an entire generation" with an insurmountable National Debt, that ALREADY has ballooned past $22 Trillion Dollars. No way in hell that raising taxes on the wealthy is going to be enough for all these plans the Democrat candidates are pushing for. As for Warren, she lives in Fantasyland, or is it Discovery Island, where Pocahontas poses for photos?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

HMM...
What are the requirements for public high school?
Why would we not have requirements for higher education? Or similar skill training for those not inclined to pursue higher education?
It is a conversation the nation sorely needs to have.

There are only so many jobs at walmart.......

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
My big question is are colleges and universities nationwide going to be price controlled on tuition?

If so, then are private colleges and universities, to keep control of their tuition prices, going to become status symbols and therefore undermine the value of a degree the way private and public schools do at the secondary level and grade school?

And if so nationalized at the post secondary level, is there going to be curriculum control at the Federal level, essentially turning them into indoctrination centers more so than they already are?

And if so, are there going to be diminishing education standards as seen at the primary and secondary level public schools?

And my number one question, will this free ride happen at trade schools as well so we have a chance of having people capable of actually performing a job function in society?
edit on 23-4-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
What point of "free" college says that colleges must accept every applicant?

Look at the example set by every other 1st World Country. The best of the best can go to university. Everyone else can go to trade school.

It literally gives us the situation that so many have wanted.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Now there's a nightmarish can of worms, it's plan is pretty scary too. Funny how they always like spending other-people's-money. Ask them to share though, lol. I wonder if polcalizbeth would let homeless people tent in her backyard, let them use her bathrooms, share her food, give them an allowance, etc.?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
We need to train our youth to work construction and to work on making things our society actually needs to survive. Not teach them to go school for four more years to get out of working. The Colleges want all of the money kids will inherit. Now some idiots want all kids to go to college. That four years learning a trade, education you actually get paid to learn, is better than getting a degree then going work at Subway or some Retail store stocking shelves.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You know damn well there would be diversity quotas to meet leaving more qualified students being left out.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Trade schools would be included in my plan.

I also think college should be streamlined.
I really dont care what the chemistry major thinks about hamlet.
Eliminate classes not directly related to a degree.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Here is the deal.

These student loans are mostly a subsidy to the Progressive Educational Propaganda Machine.

Forgive student debt? Hell no!

If you are dumb enough to go into 50-100K of debt for a useless degree that will not get you a job why should the rest of us pay for it?

Seriously? Why should we pay 10x the actual cost for some dumb@ss to get a useless degree and fund a bunch of propaganda facilities and staff?

If anything, we should STOP allowing federally backed student loans for anything other than STEM or related necessary core job functions that are actually needed.

edit on 23-4-2019 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

No better way to learn how to make it on hard work and determination than strapping an 80 lbs ruck on their backs with all their worldly possessions for a four year hitch. Bonus, they won’t be as afraid of owning firearms.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Not just No, but *blank* No.... while all the rest couldn't afford an education you let these lops slide and not face the concequences of a bad choice like lol liberal arts... A do-nothing loaf-along choice of study.

*Blank no*, let the rest of us have the same $50k to go party up and avoid real life.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Now to be fair here.
High schools are pushing kids into college.
My daughter is a sophomore and her school is all over her about higher education.

It make them look good.

The kids are in the middle getting screwed

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Those already exist. This will mean that the smartest kids from each demographic will be able to go to college.

Why don't you want smart, poor, white kids to go to go to university?

It also gives kids freer access to trade schools. Isn't one of the biggest complaints of the Right that no one knows a trade skill anymore? This would give kids the path to pursue a trade and get off the street.

The price tag may seem scary but in the end it essentially solves most of the problems the Right complains about. It gives us a student population that will actually achieve things. It brings back American Made. And it gets kids off the street because it gives them options other than slinging drugs on the corner.

In the end the American economy will be stronger and we will easily make the money back.

So where's the bad?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

College for all? No, I don't think that's a good idea. Not everyone is cut out for more schooling. Some may do better going to a trade school and learning a trade.

However college for those kids that get good grades and can't go because it's too expensive. Yes definitely.

Why?

Well all it takes is one Bill Gates, one Steve Jobs, One Larry Page and Sergey Brin to create millions of jobs all over the world. People that work help the local economy and pay taxes. This is what we need.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Trade schools would be included in my plan.

I also think college should be streamlined.
I really dont care what the chemistry major thinks about hamlet.
Eliminate classes not directly related to a degree.

Yes, re-structure the entire "credit" system and remove useless classes that do not directly apply to the the specific job function. This would eliminate the 50-70% of the classes needed for a BS.... LOL

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

My plan would cover those kids.
Merit based.
But only for stem degrees..

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

How long has she been in office? And she hasn't proposed this yet?

Just election pandering.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Welcome to the European Model of Education.

But some people would rather complain about how American kids are getting "dumber" (although our IQ is actually rising) while refusing to actually admit that Europe's education model may be the reason they outrank us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join