It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lazy singing - And I just switch off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
When ever I hear any new artist, or new pop hit, where vocals are sung through the nose I switch off – What could have gained my 3 minutes of attention is better spent channel surfing.

This video popped up on my youtube feed. So i got to thinking, is there something behind the phenomena of rolling lyrics into one another.
Or has it become a popular style due to customer demand.

Why do people pay for this lazy singing? now a whole generation is accepting of this.
The often mentioned solution cry on ATS is “ don’t spend the money on them and the market will self correct ”.

Not a bad idea, however now we have a whole generation of listeners who think its normal

I understood fundamentals of music but I never studied singing, but something told me instinctively it was a form of cheating and laziness and a whole sub-genre in pop and latter day faux R & B became a “thing”

Lo & behold its actually the difference between nasality & proper resonance.

Its become almost like a rite of passage to ensure success in R & B or pop.

Stop singing through your nose - barring physical injury there are exercises to start singing properly again.

Some say It boils down to personal taste but why did it become popular – yeah the visuals – vids by stars ( as above ) making it cool to be lazy, mannerisms and singing and seductiveness as some form of halfway point between gangsta rap pop and as an end in itself.

In this information age with tools at our fingertips why is it so hard to make a pleasant sound to the senses?

Female singer Nasalaty
Be aware it may trigger you, you may like to skip this

Extra Bonus –

Original Tracy Chapman - Fast car:

How to Correct Nasality | Vocal Lessons

STOP sounding NASAL when SINGING | Try this Vocal Exercise

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

... Why do people pay for this lazy singing? now a whole generation is accepting of this. ...

First, awfully generous of you to call this singing.

Second, people pay for this lazy crap because people are lazy. Same reason people pay money to eat the crap they sell at McDonald's Where there's good and healthy food to had a a fraction of price if they'g get off their asses and do a little work.

I remember talking to a dumb redneck once about making chili. He had a bunch of mouths to feed and lots of deer meat. I commented that making chili would be a good option, especially if he added beans to stretch it. He said, "Nah, beans cost to much and I'd need several cans."

I was astonished. "Cans?! Dry beans are cheaper. Just boil them and add them to the chili."

"That's too damn much work," he says.

What it boils down to is that you just can't fix stupid.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yup, pretty terrible.
Along with country twang and the garbage drone some of the new music has...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Maybe the problem stems from too few actually paying for music anymore. Real appreciation and valuation is being lost.

These nasal (non)singing pop-stars sell sex appeal through endorsements and video-views. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the bulk of popular music today. It lacks music.

Appreciate you pointing these things out in a thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I listen to death Metal, even those bands Singers are more coherent than Kanye West.

'arm gonna flar, arm Garner torch the scar' what? Did I just hear? Did Kanye have a stroke? I'm not exactly a soprano but still I put in the effort. As Rhianna once sung 'shirt urp ernd draav'
edit on 22-4-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Sucks so bad not available in my country.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm not a fan either but we are our parents talking smack incarnate. My parents parents said Elvis was terrible. My parents said Metallica was the devil and now it's our turn to cast our judgement on music we don't understand. But somehow we think our criticism is righteous and surely proper. Change with the times or be made ineffectual by the new wave of ideas that rise above your understanding. I'm with you that it sucks to us. But I'm malleable enough to try and get it. How are those Velcro shoes holding up?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I never ever listen to these so called pop songs. Anyone that holds up a hand to measure their singing is only singing for themelves [loving their own voice].
None of those 'songs' in the video are good. Not for me anyway, horrible, boring, whining, self loving, shallow crap. Sorry if you like that kind of stuff, I don't.
As someone else said, he's into Death Metal, I too have Death Metal in my listening repertoire, mostly I like Stoner Rock, Heavy Metal, all kinds of Metal and also Aggro and Techno.

Now, when the guys are roaring in my kind of music, it's actually pretty neat. It's difficult to sing like that and a lot have underlying, interesting melodies. But the best thing is, they all make their music because they love it and express themselves, they write their songs, they play their instruments. You can hear the involvement.

Those hand measuring pop-up, plastic, mainstream figurines make me shiver. I am not even exaggerating. They don't seem real.

Oh it felt good to let it all out.

Sorry again to those that like vacuum, empty music. Nothing against you but I really can't understand it, how or why.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

"That's too damn much work," he says. What it boils down to is that you just can't fix stupid.

hahaha so true. You should have told him to chuck in cornflour or a kg or 2 of flour and a bit of water - no effort required.

It'd go a long way in creating a cheap concrete lump filler in their gut!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Check out the smaller venue circuit, there are so many fantastic musicians around, but they aren't on the radio or in commercials, they are on small stages or at house concerts.

I am involved with a small venue that has live music every night of the week. There is no shortage of talent, but it's a lot of work for them if they want to make a living (more than most could really imagine), and a few more people in seats and a few more cds sold really makes a difference to these guys.

Check out poltz.com..., he's one of the most entertaining people I've ever seen, he's been coming to our place once a year for a decade, playing to a sold out room of 60 people.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I agree that if a piece of music has vocals (e.g., a song), then the vocals ARE the song. Everything else supports it, period.

Also, I think you've stumbled upon an unsung (pun intended) conspiracy of our time. I believe it's a deep topic.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Oh I know. Plenty of talent out there. I was just commenting on what passes off in their minds as singing.

top topics

join