It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just realised why May, may have called that general election (Brexit).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
OK so I think most of us in the UK agree the main reason that David Cameron called for the referendum was that he was confident we the public would vote to stay. (I may be wrong on this and its not really my point)

So we vote out and he throws a tantrum and takes his ball home like a kid on a sports pitch not getting his way. Somehow we end up with Mrs May as our new PM.

Now she and the tories have a majority albeit a slim one in parliament so to strengthen her position she calls a snap general election after repeatedly saying she wouldn't.

She loses her majority and ends up bribing the DUP with £12B to get back a majority so she can push through Brexit which gives the northern Irish party HUGE leverage (as we have seen).

Most of us assumed she was badly advised or that they were so arrogant they again believed they would get the result they wanted.

However today it occurred to me that maybe they did know they would lose their majority and this would be the only way they could now stop Brexit. It would make more sense of the ensuing debacle that has occurred since then....

Apologies if this has been discussed before but i've not noticed it in any of the Brexit threads (aside to the mods and site - a UK board would help
)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

When she called the 2017 General Election, The Tories had a 22% lead in the polls.

She and her advisers ( mainly William Hague ) thought The Tories would " Walk It "

May will be gone soon.

More than 70 local association chiefs - angry at her handling of Brexit - have called for an extraordinary general meeting to discuss her leadership. A non-binding vote will be held at that National Conservative Convention EGM. Dinah Glover, chairwoman of the London East Area Conservatives, said there was "despair in the party". She told the BBC: "I'm afraid the prime minister is conducting negotiations in such a way that the party does not approve." The Conservative Party's 800 highest-ranking officers, including those chairing the local associations, will take part in the vote

"We therefore, with great reluctance, ask that she considers her position and resigns, to allow the Conservative Party to choose another leader, and the country to move forward and negotiate our exit from the EU." It is believed to be the first time the procedure has been used.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I’ve been saying this for a couple of years.

She’s not as dumb as she makes out. The Tories want to stop brexit, but if they betray the referendum vote they lose many of their Tory voters.

So they need plausible deniability; to be seen to have done their ‘best’, or rather that May, the sacrificial lamb to have done her best, before ultimately, years down the road brexit is undone.

She takes one for the the team. She quits and a new leader takes over in time for next election saying that May screwed it up but don’t worry, she’s gone now. The Torres are rebranded.

The ‘fiasco’ has been an inside job from the get go.

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: Repost

link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: Darn it, again

link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: Holy crap I suck!

link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: 🤕

link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by McGinty because: Mods, sorry for the trouble, but if you can get rid of these dupe posts I’d be grateful!

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Problem, Reaction, Solution.

It really is that simple.

You really think any of them in the high chairs actually fights for you?

red/blue ties = same evil laugh.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: McGinty
I’ve been saying this for a couple of years.

She’s not as dumb as she makes out. The Tories want to stop brexit, but if they betray the referendum vote they lose many of their Tory voters.

So they need plausible deniability; to be seen to have done their ‘best’, or rather that May, the sacrificial lamb to have done her best, before ultimately, years down the road brexit is undone.

She takes one for the the team. She quits and a new leader takes over in time for next election saying that May screwed it up but don’t worry, she’s gone now. The Torres are rebranded.

The ‘fiasco’ has been an inside job from the get go.

I'm not sure how you can say the tories want to stop Brexit, the majority are and always have been anti EU, it's more just a question of how hard line they are on how they want to leave.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   

S&F A conspiracy on a conspiracy site!!

There are many ways in which the whole situation can be a conspiracy from

Leave means leave.....

No deal is better than a bad deal....

My deal is the only deal.....

To having a second referendum with *No deal* off the table and remain in the mix.

You couldn't make it up!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
All these efforts to subvert brexit yet over 70% of her party members want a wto brexit.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
All these efforts to subvert brexit yet over 70% of her party members want a wto brexit.

But Parliament as a whole doesn't, and it needs Parliament to vote for it. I know it's Theresa May that ultimately get the blame for whatever happens but with a divided party and the other parties playing political games it's a blame that should be divided.

new topics

top topics

join