It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People should not count on Social Security

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
www.tmj4.com... cSMvLitJInivJ5UzMr0EpQtg4MX4QosvKg8

The latest projection doesn't mean retirees will no longer get checks in 16 years. But the program will at that point only have enough revenue coming in to pay three-quarters of promised benefits through the end of 2093.

Who knows if it will really run out, or if this is just a scare tactic. Either way, young people should really not count on Social Security.
It just feels like they (the government, NWO, etc) have been planting the seed for years now. Each year it seems to get a little more serious.
16 years is really not a long time.

I personally wish that they would just eliminate it.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The latest projection doesn't mean retirees will no longer get checks in 16 years. But the program will at that point only have enough revenue coming in to pay three-quarters of promised benefits through the end of 2093.

Who knows if it will really run out, or if this is just a scare tactic. Either way, young people should really not count on Social Security.
It just feels like they (the government, NWO, etc) have been planting the seed for years now. Each year it seems to get a little more serious.

Social security could work if politicians couldn't raid it to pay for other things and everyone had to contribute. I'd remove the contribution caps. In addition, there need to be other incentives so people can save for their own retirement.

Unfortunately, we need social security because the vast majority of the population is simply not smart enough or responsible enough to care for their own retirement.

I am in my 40s and have always operated under the assumption I won't get social security.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The problem is we have fewer workers supporting more and more retirees.... in addition, people are living longer drawing far more benefits. We haven't even gotten into all the disability fraud...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I would be happy to relinquish my benefits in exchange for zeroing out the digits in the student loan column. I no longer pay into the Social INsecurity system due to my job's separate retirement system, but I've paid in enough quarters to "collect" when it comes time..

$763/mo..eligible in 2050. Literally beer money by that time.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People never should have counted on it but they were too stoopid to figure that out. Common sense tells you when your government makes a promise that sounds too good to be true, it is.

Butt of course, what was ever good about working yourself to death for a few years of controlled destruction once you retire? I'm not sure how this ever sounded good to the vast majority of people. Few ever live/stay healthy long enough to really enjoy retirement. Many of the ones who do didn't actually save anything outside of what the government owes them so they barely have enough to live on and can't do anything else like travel and really live it up like they thought they would.

The smart money was always a savings account that the government couldn't rob at it's leisure. And even then you could be working diligently and saving money living like a slave and still die before you even reached retirement age.

What should you count on? Nothing. There's nothing that's guaranteed. Other than death and taxes, as always. Unsurprisingly, the government (all the governments) are lying and sapping the life out of their citizens. Promising them the world if they obey and cooperate. When they get too old to mentally fight their way out of a wet paper bag, what difference is it going to make if they finally wake up and see that all those flowery promises are evaporating right before their eyes? What are they going to do about it at that point?

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Social Security was originally raided by Lyndon Johnson to pay for the Vietnam War, and the fund has never recovered.

The vast majority of Social Security's funds are now in the form of "inter-governmental loans," which for all practical purposes are just IOU's. The money isn't there, and will need to be raised when the time comes to make good on those loans.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If social security were marketed as an actual investment product in private industry, the SEC would be trying to throw that company in jail for fraud...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

edit on 22-4-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I seriously wish there was an opt out option, I know full well my investing of the money would yield a much higher return. Have my own investment accounts, so SS will be a nice add-on, but not needed.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Let it run out idgaf.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
I seriously wish there was an opt out option, I know full well my investing of the money would yield a much higher return. Have my own investment accounts, so SS will be a nice add-on, but not needed.

Same here... not only that you can pass on your retirement savings to children. You can't do that with social security so it does nothing to help with inter generational wealth.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Social Security was originally raided by Lyndon Johnson to pay for the Vietnam War, and the fund has never recovered.

Well, you know. About that. If it wasn't that thing it would have been something else. The fact of the matter is that if the government has a stash of money somewhere and it finds a way to spend it (and it will) the money will be gone faster than you can say "IRS".

And for all the complaining that people have done about Vietnam, it was what it was (as opposed to is what it is). It was in the past and it happened and the #ing least they could have done if they were going to pour that much blood and money into it was to make it count and win the damn thing so we wouldn't spend generations paying for a war we didn't even win.

If you're going to wage war, you'd better do it right and you'd better #ing win. Pick up a history book and tell me what happens to people who lose wars. It matters not one bit who's right and who's wrong. If you are on one side of a war and you lose, it's gonna suck.

The vast majority of Social Security's funds are now in the form of "inter-governmental loans," which for all practical purposes are just IOU's. The money isn't there, and will need to be raised when the time comes to make good on those loans.

Which is the reason why big government is not a solution for any problem. It can't pay for itself. It can't raise taxes to pay for itself or it will be raising taxes forever. Every time the government gets what it wants, it moves on and finds another way to spend more money. Next thing you know there's another government program that's going broke because they made promises they never had any intentions of keeping. And why should they? They get away with it every time. If you could write bad checks for the rest of your life and just walk up to random people and ask them to pay for it and never have any real consequences, wouldn't you do it? Maybe you wouldn't but a lot of people would.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If the estimate of 2035 is right, then it's going to run out when I'm in my late 50's, and probably looking forward to retirement.

In other words, just before I'm going to need it.

I'm actually afraid that Congress is going to pass a law allowing them to raid private retirement accounts, in order to push off the day of reckoning. It'll be the same kind of scam, where they take the money and issue you some kind of promissory note, and anybody with any sense will know the note is probably worthless.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Let it run out idgaf.

I do, it's our money. It's not an entitlement like some would convince you.

However, if you really dgaf, why don't you just write a check out to me throughout your entire working career,
and i'll be sure to invest it for you real good WINK WINK.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
If the estimate of 2035 is right, then it's going to run out when I'm in my late 50's, and probably looking forward to retirement.

In other words, just before I'm going to need it.

I'm actually afraid that Congress is going to pass a law allowing them to raid private retirement accounts, in order to push off the day of reckoning. It'll be the same kind of scam, where they take the money and issue you some kind of promissory note, and anybody with any sense will know the note is probably worthless.

Seriously, do not count on it.......at all.
If it is there, great, a little bonus for you. If not, you'll be ok.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If you've paid in, you should get it back. If they want to stop it, they will have to install a cut off date for new people. It's nothing new. They've wanted to do this since at least the 70's.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Government will fix it. Look at the job the government did on this gas can...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I imagine by then universal income will be a thing.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Must be that "republicans are gonna take away SS" time just in time for 2020.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I never expected it to be there for me anyway, if i can find a legal way to not pay into it, please let me know because it's just a waste of $ to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join