It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Patriot Act II. Update

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Over twelve surveillance-related provisions of the Patriot Act will expire this year unless they are renewed. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and President Bush are pitching Patriot Act provisions' renewal to Congress and the public. Changes are in the works. Spokesman Kevin Madden says any changes will need to "add to law enforcement's ability to crack down on terror."

www.concordmonitor.com
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales ...told a conference ...that the USA Patriot Act, passed in 2001, "has helped prevent additional terrorist attacks" and that he shares Congress's goal of "giving law enforcement the tools they need to keep America safe..."

More than a dozen surveillance-related provisions of the law are scheduled to expire this year unless they are renewed, a prospect that provoked a political campaign by Gonzales's predecessor, John Ashcroft, for reauthorization of each provision. Although Gonzales did not delve into specifics, he opened the door to potential modifications by saying, "I am willing to support improvements to our laws that make America safer."

Spokesman Kevin Madden amplified slightly after the speech, saying, "If there are movements to make these provisions that are designed to sunset better, then he would support that; but (Gonzales believes) allowing them to lapse would make America less safe." Madden said that any changes would have to "add to law enforcement's ability to crack down on terror."

The Patriot Act provided new authority to the Justice Department and the FBI to monitor alleged terrorists or their associates, and provided legal sanction for increased information-sharing between criminal investigators and intelligence agencies. Some of its provisions have been assailed by civil liberties groups, including some conservatives; lawsuits have been filed to challenge in particular a provision allowing the collection of information from libraries and businesses without the government's having to show probable cause.

Gonzales also ...pledged to strengthen the prosecution of obscenity, a cause in which the Justice Department recently declared its intention to appeal a federal judge's ruling against certain anti-obscenity laws. He also pledged to try to curtail trafficking in human beings by getting states to approve model legislation developed by the Justice Department.

President Bush on Monday urged the nation to stay the course in its "urgent mission" to fight terrorism, and he called on Congress to move quickly to extend sweeping law enforcement powers under the USA Patriot Act.

Bush Renews Call to Extend Patriot Act

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Patriot Act effectively dismantles the American Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Congress will need to evaluate any renewals and proposed modifications with a team of high-powered super-critical civil rights lawyers - for each and every provision and change.

Gonzales does not respect the law. He is the kind of lawyer that looks for loopholes and ways around laws. Now he's the US Attorney General, in charge of the nation's laws. Can we trust him to protect American civil liberties and the spirit of US democracy? I think not.

Broadly criticized for not respecting the law, Gonzales has taken hits in the mainstream and alternative media. The worst criticisms come from the alternative sites of course. Alternative sites are not considered "reliable sources," but looking at their views along with the rest provides a broader, more valuable perspective.

"...one reason the prison abuse scandal won't go away ...is that a long paper trail of memos and directives from inside the administration has emerged, often leaked by those who disagreed with rougher means of questioning.

"The instructions went out to our people to adhere to the law," Bush himself told reporters. But the law according to whom?"

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"In his position as White House Counsel, Mr. Gonzales was the architect for the legal strategy that set the stage for torture and abuses at Abu Ghraib and other U.S. military prisons around the world."

www.humanrightsfirst.org...

"Alberto R. Gonzales, the White House counsel, intervened directly with Justice Department lawyers in 2002 to obtain a legal "ruling on the extent of the president's authority to permit extreme interrogation practices in the name of national security, current and former administration officials said Tuesday.

The request by Mr. Gonzales produced the much-debated Justice Department memorandum of Aug. 1, 2002, which defined torture narrowly and said that Mr. Bush could circumvent domestic and international prohibitions against torture in the name of national security."

www.nytimes.com...

"On 25 January 2002, a memorandum from Gonzales to Bush stated that 'the war against terrorism is a new kind of war, which renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions.' The prohibition against torture was thus found to be 'obsolete' and 'quaint'...

Six months later, in August 2002, Gonzales cleared a Justice Department memo that stated bluntly that both international treaties such as the Geneva Convention and US law do 'not apply to the President's detention and interrogation of enemy combatants.' "

www.commondreams.org...
www.thestatesman.net...

"...a group of military legal experts, including Rear Adm. John Hutson, who was recently the Navy's judge advocate general, released a letter to the Judiciary Committee noting that Gonzales' recommendations "fostered greater animosity toward the United States, undermined our intelligence gathering efforts, and added to the risks facing our troops serving around the world." "

Backing Gonzales Is Backing Torture

www.commondreams.org...

"Mr. Gonzales told a meeting of the Hoover Institution in Washington that some of the act's provisions will expire at the end of this year, but that "the terrorist threat will not expire on that schedule."

Mr. Gonzales, who formerly served as White House counsel, described the Patriot Act as "one of the most important weapons" the Justice Department has in the war against terror, adding that the "brave and dedicated men and women" who work each day to track down, disrupt and prosecute terrorists deserve to have "the right tools and resources" to do the job.

"The coming congressional deliberations regarding the reauthorization of the Patriot Act are important. Debate and discussion reflect our strength as a democracy," he said, adding that he would not support changes in the law that would make the United States more vulnerable to terrorist attacks."

www.prisonplanet.tv...

"Alberto Gonzales, who scorned international law, approved terrorism and torture of Iraqi prisoners, who denies the validity and relevance of the Geneva Accords has been promoted to Attorney General, giving him power to arbitrarily arrest and prosecute whoever he deems a 'threat' to 'national security'."

www.rebelion.org...

The dangers of the Patriot Act are most apparent when viewed in the context of NORTHCOM, the new US military command charged with
keeping the peace in North America.

NORTHCOM. U.S. Northern Command – new combatant command assigned to defend the United States and support military assistance to civil authorities.

www.defenselink.mil...

"On April 17, 2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced the formation of the Northern Command, or NorthCom...

Secretary Rumsfeld stated that NorthCom will "…help the department better deal with natural disasters, attacks on U.S. soil, or other civil difficulties. It will provide for a more coordinated military support to civil authorities such as FBI, FEMA and state and local governments." "

www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/rsepResources/ si/may02/homeland.asp

RE: Military Support to Civil Authorities:

"In the area of law enforcement... On one occasion state authorities requested military assistance during civil disturbances in Los Angeles County."

www.tecom.usmc.mil...

Also see: Armored Tanks Dispel Anti-War Protest in USA

NORTHCOM supporters make much of the fact that the command has only 1200 employees, but NORTHCOM's function is not to provide manpower. It's mandate is to coordinate and oversee existent civil authorities, operations and agencies, using military troops. It is a command function. In a state of emergency, NORTHCOM is the supreme domestic authority.

NORTHCOM will take control in the USA in the event of an emergency like a "terrorist" attack or an epidemic. Most likely, if the expected flu epidemic doesn't strike within a few weeks, then a terrorist attack will materialize.

The Patriot Act will work together with NORTHCOM - against civil authority, civil liberties, and individual rights and freedoms.

In particular, the stage is set for NORTHCOM to implement quarantines for whatever ails US safety and security. Federal officials have been brushing off old quarantine laws and urging states to do the same for the past four years. Camps already exist.

"After the 2001 anthrax attacks, U.S. officials urged states to update old quarantine laws."

www.charlotte.com...

U.S. CONCENTRATION CAMPS

Quarantine is politically useful and expedient - but it's completely ineffective against most modern diseases. Not only are modern diseases different, but quarantine never works if you don't clean the barn. In this case, the barn is the whole planet.

"Dr. Keiji Fukuda, an influenza expert at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.But Fukuda said H5N1 was spreading so fast and so far that traditional efforts to control it - culling, vaccinating and quarantining flocks - would not always work.

Bird flu may be in Asia to stay, officials fear

Not that it matters.

So far, truth, laws and scientific facts all have failed to impede the Bush Blitzkrieg. Be prepared.

News gathering to be illegal under Patriot Act 2
Want to know whats in the Patriot Act 2?
Patriot Act2 Example
Patriot Act 2 on Verge of Passing Says Ron Paul
Intelligence reform bill
FBI Charges Laser Suspect Under Patriot Act: Despite Acknowledging Not A Terrorist Act
The Patriot Act 2, Immigration and NORTHCOM
Enemies In Our Midst

Voice Your Opinon to Congress Quickly and Easily on Patriot Act II!

UPDATE: Part 2

NAFTA, the Patriot Act and NORTHCOM

In the USA, the Patriot Act works in concert with NAFTA and NORTHCOM. NAFTA and NORTHCOM are "continental" plans - and create a kind of "over-government" that applies to all of North America. The Patriot Act is the "open door" allowing the security component of these plans to be implemented in the USA.

NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. In its original form, this agreement broke through the traditional boundaries and redefined 'trade' - for the first time, information and services were defined as trade items and controlled by trade laws created and written by international corporations. By NAFTA's terms, our governments must negotiate directly with corporations, and the corporations are calling the shots.

NAFTA is about to be expanded - the expansion was scheduled as part of the original agreement. The original NAFTA agreement demanded a "harmonization" of laws and regulation in the USA, Canada and Mexico - meaning that each country's laws had to be modified and made the same so as not to interfere with business or cut into profits. For example, immigration and security will be defined as trade items under the new NAFTA. The final harmonization deadline is coming up.

Before the "leftist takeover" of South America, NAFTA's architects were planning to create the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and expand NAFTA over the whole northern hemisphere. Now the focus is on North America and finalizing the last stages of all the agreements, negotiations and plans.

"Combining these two powers into one agreement will give unequalled new rights to the transnational corporations of the hemisphere to compete for and even challenge every publicly funded service of its governments, including health care, education, social security, culture and environmental protection."

NAFTA, GATTS and the Free Trade Area of the Americas

Also see: North American Security and Prosperity

Security v/s Sovereignty: The Evolution of Public Opinion After 9/11 (pdf)

THE FUTURE OF SECURITY AND DEFENCE COOPERATION IN NORTH AMERICA

A Blueprint for NAFTA (pdf)

The Tug-of-War: The Sovereignty/Security Dilemma (pdf)

NORTHCOM is the US military command for North America. In the event of any national emergency - like an epidemic or terrorist attack - NORTHCOM will assume military command over all US agencies like FEMA and the FBI, plus civil authorities and policing. Under emergency conditions, NORTHCOM's first priority likely will be to ensure NAFTA's continued smooth functioning - to protect international corporations operating in North America.

NORTHCOM. U.S. Northern Command – new combatant command assigned to defend the United States and support military assistance to civil authorities.

www.defenselink.mil...

"On April 17, 2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced the formation of the Northern Command, or NorthCom...

Secretary Rumsfeld stated that NorthCom will "…help the department better deal with natural disasters, attacks on U.S. soil, or other civil difficulties. It will provide for a more coordinated military support to civil authorities such as FBI, FEMA and state and local governments." "

www.ccc.nps.navy.mil...

The Patriot Act "harmonizes" US civil liberties downward to be in line with Mexico's. (Canada has her own problems.)

The public rationale for establishing a military police state in North America is "combating the terrorist threat" - and/or dealing with "natural disasters" and "other civil difficulties." Basically, they've covered all the angles.

The current scare-monerging with its focus on international terrorism is a standard diversionary tactic designed to keep America's eyes off the home front. The added benefit is that "the terrorist threat" also can serve as a publicly acceptable reason to implement military command over civil authorities, and establish a police state in the USA.

Related News Links:
www.observer-reporter.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
www.atsnn.com...
United States of North America!
TERRORISM: Terrorist Threat Message Outlines Attack Plans

[edit on 3-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I downloaded and attempted to read this Act and was completely distracted with all the references to other acts and documention!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HopelesslyGullible
I downloaded and attempted to read this Act and was completely distracted with all the references to other acts and documention!

It's a maze all right. Designed to baffle and distract. By the time the lawyers figure out how all the pieces fit together we'll be dead meat.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
its not like its any big suprise or anything, as long as you get along wit the man you will be aight... then again that isnt even a garentee..

btw i dont think this is big news, considering we knew since the induction of PA I that we were screwed..

As long as the sheep need a shepard, the whole country will fall.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The pen is no longer mightier than the sword---it seems too few care to read. We need another 60's type revoulution--perhaps a strong movement to grow a real third party before the vote is abolished as a form of terrorism.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Lots of data to contend with in there. I tried to get a big mindfull before I replied.
The Northcom thing is scarry. They argue that it's a small organization, but the organization is the scarry part. If they have the assetts, the officers, the plans and SOP, etc etc, then they can shift 20,000 troops into that command any time they like. Not to mention that if there is a military command custom designed to violate posse comitatus, that opens a loophole for SSB operation in the United States.

Patriot Act II: Section 103, giving the Justice Department freedom to snoop without warrants not only in time of war, but AFTER ATTACKS on America. Thanks to 9/11, that pretty much means ALWAYS. That one is going to get abused to hell and gone- it will immediately be open for use and will never go away, and it wont be long before the AG delegates the responsibility, doing away with all need for warrants in federal law enforcement cases.

I'm sort of running out of energy so I'll have to read more and offer more comments later. All of this police state stuff is scarry though. It's not for our own good. The OLD police powers worked. We had our eyes on the 9/11 terrorists- the higher ups in the FBI intervened to protect the terrorists. Read Coleen Rowley's whistleblowing letter.
They're setting us up to knock us down. This is my country and I love it, but that nagging voice in the back of my head is telling me that if we had a 90 year old German citizen with us, he'd be saying that this all seems oddly familiar.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sofi,

Fantastic analysis of the situation
When I first uncovered the draft of the patriot act and posted it here, it was the same maze of different department polocies and laws that are still there to blockade any attempts at finding the end of the line. The bill is written in such a way that anyone could be targeted by our government if someone with authority gets a hair up their arse. Not to mention that all it takes now is to be anonomously accused of terrorist activity and yoiu could be jailed without representation for a long long time.

[edit on 3/2/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
The pen is no longer mightier than the sword---it seems too few care to read. We need another 60's type revoulution--perhaps a strong movement to grow a real third party before the vote is abolished as a form of terrorism.

I think you may be onto something here...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi

Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my sword. Or maybe God loves me and hid it from me to keep me out of jail. Believe me, it takes a lot of hard work on my part to be a nice and civil on a consistent basis. I fear that even I am fallling under the boiled frog effect. Don't want to do anything rash, don't want to get in trouble- let's wait until things are so bad that we know there is no other way...
I'd like to think that one of these days we'll reach a point of moral certainty and that a neighborhood or city full of patriots somewhere will make a stand- and perhaps that the enforcers will have an attack of conscience as they are planning the assault on their countrymen. But the truth is that there probably will enver be a point of moral certainty on a large scale, and there will not be any consideration before the enforcers crush those who do resist. By the time people really see what they've done to themselves they'll be in way over their heads, and they'll say, "Oh well, it's not as bad as you'd think. I never used my freedom anyway, and the government leaves me alone for the most part so far."

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

This is my country and I love it, but that nagging voice in the back of my head is telling me that if we had a 90 year old German citizen with us, he'd be saying that this all seems oddly familiar.

Ditto. Seems Americans are asleep at the wheel, like the Germans were 75 years ago.

We just need to keep speaking out while we still can.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ultimately, the sword cuts the pen, and the tongue- IN HALF. Or in little pieces, if the sword prefers. The once mighty pen and tongue have been manipulated to give rise to the sword's ultimate power. And it is now in the hands of those that would wield it- unmercifully.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Ok, my pessimism will show thru on this sensitive topic...

Why do we need another patriot act? The first one did everything but shut us up... will this one do that?

My theory:
we dont need one...and never did...

This is just the final proof that the Soviets REALLY DID WIN the cold war, and this was the way that our leadership negotiated our surrender...

it would be slow smooth process of removing our freedoms... until we were just like the former Soviet Union...

I know that this comes across as radically paranoid... but my serious question is:
wouldn't we be in the same position we are now, if they did really win?
what is the difference? They get as much money as we can spare...
We are blackmailed into buying Russian nukes, only, to then be dissasembled in our factories, and then made into DU armament...that kills our troops

The freedoms that made America what it is, are almost gone...
We are truly in as bad, or worse situation than if a peaceful conditional surrender had been given...

Ahhh America... such a waste of a good country...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
lol

You people are HILLARIOUS!!!!

That's why I love this site. You all definately know how to entertain.

You weren't affected by PA1. No one here was. No freedoms were taken away from you. Without any research I can guarentee you most don't even remember when it was passed. And if you continue to not conduct illegal activities I can guarentee you, you will not be affected by PA2......so we must revolt!?
lol, wtf?

The New American Way = Making mountains out of molehills
I love it!

Sorry to interupt. Please by all means, continue the rants and raves.

For the record - I'm not for, nor am I against it. It's like laws in other states. If I don't go to that state I won't be affected by it. Same thing with this if I don't do something stupid like yell BOMB on a plane then...................

and yes I have read it.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

You weren't affected by PA1. No one here was. No freedoms were taken away from you.

Freedom of the press.

News gathering to be illegal under Patriot Act 2

Freedom to dissent.

Armored Tanks Dispel Anti-War Protest in USA

Freedom of information.

"The file you are seeking does not exist."

Freedom of privacy on the Inernet.

Department of Homeland Security Announces Appointments to Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee

It's like laws in other states. If I don't go to that state I won't be affected by it. Same thing with this if I don't do something stupid like yell BOMB on a plane then................... and yes I have read it.

But. Have you studied history? Specifically, the history of the rise of fascism in Nazi Germany?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Homeland Security

link

If this explanation of FOIA has changed does anyone have the information about when or how?

the FOIA establishes the right to request records and to receive a response to the request. If a record cannot be released, the requestor is entitled to be told the reason for the denial. The requester also has a right to appeal the denial and, if necessary, to challenge it in court.

The requester must ask for existing records, described in a reasonable way. One cannot simply ask for informaiton.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree

The requester must ask for existing records, described in a reasonable way. One cannot simply ask for informaiton.

Erm. I was talking about files disappearing on the Internet - some are dumped to free space, true, but many are purposefully 'disappeared.'

Sites like the memory hole for example, are dedicated to archiving unwanted and governmentally embarrassing files - in their words, "rescuing knowledge, and freeing information."

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The patriot act, will be overdue this year, so far we know that the patriot act holds a lot of our civil rights on a leash.

Yes the only abuses to the patriot act, has been mostly with the abuse of prisoners.

Now if the patriot act have done so “Good” and have kept American “Safe” with minimum complaints of civil right violations.

I have a problem, why does the government feels that it needs to “change” the patriot act to add more power to the justice department and the FBI.

Sorry but it smells foul, and I don’t like bush buddy Gonzales.

Also I will like to know what is Gonzales definition of Obscenity that is a word that in a way can be mis used to fit personal agendas under its definition.

I feel that Gonzales has not feelings what so ever when it comes to compassion already he was in high waters with the Guantanamo scandal and his definition of laws.

He obviously does not care for international laws and he would not give a dime about our constitutional laws either, he will do more damage than good to our legal system.

I feel that the patriot act has allowed all these “anti terrorist” agencies to be made to “keep US safe” but the true meaning of the whole thing is going to be finished and shape very soon.

Like my father said to me once, “when the government gets too big it tends to abuse its citizens”

Bush has made sure that the government gets twice as big and with full power under the patriot act too.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I have a problem, why does the government feels that it needs to “change” the patriot act to add more power to the justice department and the FBI.

Sorry but it smells foul,

....We've got a couple of "continental" plans on the table - NAFTA super-sized and NORTHCOM work together, and create a kind of 'over-government' that applies to all of North America.

The new NAFTA is about expanding the 'trade' agreement to harmonize various laws and regulations - and it's not restricted to goods and services. ...Our politicians are looking at immigration, security, the whole ball of wax.

...Just as Canadians don't want to adopt certain laws and values that the US has - Americans will not want certain laws that Canada and Mexico have. ...But it will happen.

Historically, the USA had the best civil liberties in the world. Canada did not even get a Bill of Rights until Trudeau crafted one in the 1970's - and it was a woosie compromise. Mexico, well.

....A good part of what we see happening here is that US civil liberties are being "harmonized" downward to be more in line with Canada and Mexico.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
lol

You people are HILLARIOUS!!!!

That's why I love this site. You all definately know how to entertain.

You weren't affected by PA1. No one here was. No freedoms were taken away from you. Without any research I can guarentee you most don't even remember when it was passed. And if you continue to not conduct illegal activities I can guarentee you, you will not be affected by PA2......so we must revolt!?
lol, wtf?

The New American Way = Making mountains out of molehills
I love it!

Sorry to interupt. Please by all means, continue the rants and raves.

For the record - I'm not for, nor am I against it. It's like laws in other states. If I don't go to that state I won't be affected by it. Same thing with this if I don't do something stupid like yell BOMB on a plane then...................

and yes I have read it.

You, my friend, are an idiot. First of all, why should we listen to someone who doesn't even have the mind to decide whether they're for or against something? It sounds like you're apathetic, and apathy will bring nothing to this country but trouble. Secondly, there have been many abuses of the PA already with things that have NOTHING to do with terrorism. Btw, it was passed in the first few weeks immediately following 9-11 at the latest.

As long as we conduct only legal activities we'll have nothing to worry about huh? Well how about this. There is one case where a young boy was researching the brooklyn bridge for a project through the internet and the library, and the next thing he knows, he has feds up in his grill because they thought he was masterminding a plan to destroy it. A little kid! Wake up!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
ok... Can you provide more information about these tanks used to disperse a peaceful protest in the US?....

The only time that i remember that there was ever a case similar to this brought up in these same forums, was an incident which was taken completly out of context.

If my memory serves me right, there was some sort of show done for kids, some of them which were inside these tanks if i remember correctly, these people got lost and saw a group of people, stopping there to ask for directions. That group of people were protesters who started yelling the same thing you seem to be claiming here soficrow.

Perhaps I am a bit sketchy about the specifics but it was something like that. This story was debunked in here months ago. Anyone else remembers this story?

That first...second....i want to know how in the world a memo that was directed from Gonzalez to president Bush was obtained by a conspiracy site...i am not 100% certain, but i don't think memorandums to the president which are this specific are available to the public...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join