It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TST made a South African original. Bunny Chow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Bunny chow, often referred to simply as a bunny,[1] is a South African fast food dish consisting of a hollowed-out loaf of white bread filled with curry. It ultimately originated among Indian South Africans of Durban.[2] A small version of the bunny chow that uses only a quarter loaf of bread is sometimes called, by black South Africans, a scambane or kota ("quarter"); it is a name that it shares with spatlo, a South African dish that evolved from the bunny chow.[3]

Heat the oil on medium. Add 1 large onion. Saute until yellow/golden

5lbs boneless skinless thighs with fat NOT TRIMMED goes on top. stir frequently until chicken turns white. the fat will melt off and this becomes the stock.

4 large spuds, cubed tossed on top.

1 can diced tomatoes on top of that.

from here it is simmered on medium low until the potatoes get soft. stir frequently.

When the potatoes are soft add 1 heaping tablespoon of curry for every lb of chicken. this will be very hot.

The thing about the curry is the curry we get in the states suck. it is nothing like the stuff i get from South Africa. different color. different taste.
its just #.

if you can get your hands on some legit stuff you should.

hollow out the bread. spoon the chicken curry into the bread and you're finished.

this is what it will be served like. this is not mine. pulled it off google.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yumm.. that sounds delicious. Is it usually made with rabbit?

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

awesome! I agree regarding American curry sucking...so I make my own, couple quarts a month.

Mostly yellow curry

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Yumm.. that sounds delicious. Is it usually made with rabbit?

no.

usually chicken

The meal is still called "Bunny chow" or "bunnychow"[needs Afrikaans IPA] in Afrikaans, being a loanword from English

you can use mince or beans.
those are the big 3 in Durban where it origiated

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

awesome! I agree regarding American curry sucking...so I make my own, couple quarts a month.

Mostly yellow curry

yeah it is garbage.

there is a store in Durban that is nothing but spices that you can purchase by the lb.

My buddy sends me some or brings me some when he comes in.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Stories of the origin of bunny chow date as far back as the migrant Indian workers' arrival in South Africa. One account suggests that said Indian laborers who came to work the sugar cane plantations of Kwazulu-Natal (Port Natal) required a way of carrying their lunches to the field; a hollowed-out loaf of bread was a convenient way to transport their vegetarian curries.[4] Meat-based fillings came later. The use of a loaf of white bread can also be ascribed to the lack of the traditional roti bread as well as its weak structure; thus the cheap loaf, widely available at local stores, would be an optimal substitute vessel for the curry.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Looks good man. What type of heat do you get from that curry?

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Looks good man. What type of heat do you get from that curry?

its pretty intense. heat hangs around but it has good flavor to it.

what i use is a mix. it is curry and something else but i dont remember what it is.
i just asked him.

he brings them separate then mixes them for me

1 tablespoon per lb and it is on the hot side. prob hotter than most would enjoy but that is how it is made. different pallet down there.

if you use 2 per lb it is #ing crazy. that is how i like it.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It looks good, but I am not into curry very much. It kind of messes up my stomach. If I had to eat curry in every meal, I would drop fifty pounds in six months. From eating as little as I could. I like a tad bit in chili, but only a quarter of what the recipes say, and our recipes are light on curry as it is. Maybe a tablespoon in a big pot of chili or less is acceptable.

I actually studied the spice as to it's benefits and side effects and they boast the benefits but never consider that for some people it is not good.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The hotter the better for me.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The thing about the curry is the curry we get in the states suck. it is nothing like the stuff i get from South Africa. different color. different taste.

Curry powder they sell in the US isn't really "curry". It's really just a mixture of turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugeek and sometimes some other spices. Well, technically it meets the definition of 'curry', but most people don't understand what the definition of 'curry' is. Curry isn't really one thing.

"Curry" is just a mixture of spices to make a sauce or paste. It's not a specific thing, and there is no one type of curry. In India and throughout SE Asia practically every family has a family curry recipe and they're all different. Some are sweet, some are hot, some are savory...there's all different kinds.

If you into an Indian spice store you will see lots of different curries, hundreds of them. There are some main groups by color and/or regional geography, but a "curry" can be just about anything. Generally, you have 'red', 'green' and 'yellow' curries, but even these are all different within each color.

I agree though, the 'curry powder' you get in the grocery store is crap in comparison to what I would consider to be 'real' curries. It's mainly because they omit the more expensive spices. Depending on the type of curry you're putting together, some of the spice combinations can be pretty expensive.

Plus, in some countries they will call a mixture of spices a specific thing (Ras al hanout, for example) whereas in another country they'll call it 'curry'. Same for things like Harissa Chili (a Moroccan spice mixture). Even what we call "Chili" here in the US is referred to as a 'curry' in some places. Just like no two 'chili' recipes are the same.

South African curries are not ones I've ever eaten. I'll bet they're good! I'll have to look into some.

Anyway, FWIW.

ETA - BTW...your Bunny Chow looks awesome! I'd be all over that!!

edit on 4/14/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree. The hotter the better.

My first time up in Thailand I'd heard about all their super hot curries (stories of legend) so I was excited to get some. Man, it was actually hard to find something I considered "hot" there.

Down in Malaysia all the food is sweet (lots of coconut milk and platain type dishes). One day I ordered some Tom Yom soup thinking it wouldn't be too hot...and MAN, it about floored me it was so hot! Now granted, Tom Yom is a Thai dish, but why was it so hard to find something hot there?

Heh, one of the best curries was "Fish head curry". People would get all wigged out if you ordered it, but it wasn't what most people thought when it showed up. Now that was pretty hot! Good stuff too.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I impressed the owner at our favorite Taco joint. I asked for something hot so he gave me his own habanero, ghost and tabasco pepper sauce on some fried crickets. I ate all of them when he said he can only handle one because of the heat. This gringo got some cred on that one.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I kinda drew the line at bugs. Fish heads I can handle, but bugs...for some reason bugs just won't go down the hatch (without trying to come back up). I've seen people eat them like a handful of peanuts, even kids. I can't do it. Don't know why. People say they're great though.

So, you got some cred with me too for gobblin' down bugs!!

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The kind of taste like peanuts.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Haven’t had a bunny chow in ages.
Only 1 meat for it though - lamb or nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow! Memories I lived in SA many years ago and bunny chow was served at nearly all food places mainly for lunch I had it on a regular basis. Apparently it’s gone upmarket now selling in London restaurants as fine dining lol

top topics

join