It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Senate votes to keep Trump off of 2020 ballots unless he releases his taxes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Mods: I looked but didn’t see this posted yet. Though I’m on mobile and could have over looked it.

Sou rce

It appears as though Illinois is working to force Trumps hand if he wants to be on their states 2020 ballot. The state senate has voted to make that happen, though it still needs to get through the house and the Governor.

I find this disturbing and sets the path for another very bad precedent. Without scrubbing the internet for examples, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a president left off a states ballot. And the cause is nothing more than the continued attack from the left on Trump. Is this what we want the new norm to become where states throw temper tantrums when they don’t have their person in the White House?

With the whole Jussie Smollet debacle and Chicago’s murder rate, you’d think Illinois would have more pressing needs to worry about. Regardless of it all, I’m not sure this will go all the way thru.

You guys know better about this stuff than I...thoughts?

edit on 12-4-2019 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Who cares, he won't win Illinois anyways, LOL. NY and Cali should as well.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Sure.

Is Biden, Warren, Harris and all of these other clowns releasing their taxes too? Right?

We all know there isn’t double standard with the Democrats 😅

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The Supreme Court has ruled on this type of thing a few times in the past and it has always maintained that the only restrictions which a state election body can withhold a candidate from an election over are those restrictions and qualifications directly imposed on the office by the US Constitution... in other words, Illinois is fighting a fool's errand here and the only real decency they had in doing it is that they made their bad choice far enough in advance of the 2020 election for it to not require an immediate injunction by the courts. That said, I'm sure this will be heard by the SCOTUS quite swiftly and it wouldn't surprise me for it to be an all too rare unanimous rebuke of Illinois by them.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Right. Who cares? This state (Illinois) is the worst one in the country anyway.
Trump doesn’t stand a chance of winning here.
Now if he was a gay black transgendered Muslim , well that’s a different story

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Is this even legal?

I don't think any state has the authority to make up requirements for presidential candidates, though I may be wrong.

Can you leave a sitting president off a presidential ballot?

Can there be repercussions for this obvious attack on the president?

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It appears Maryland has already gone through with this.

The senators voted 28-17 on Monday, largely along party lines, to require presidential candidates to file copies of their tax returns with the state board of elections two months ahead of Election Day, so the filings can be made public. Failure to comply would result in the candidate’s removal from the state ballot that November.

Just a random Source I found while figuring out if infact a state can do this. And I guess it can.

State rights I guess.

Times ahead for the USA are looking rough, hasn't been this much division since basically Lincoln was elected to be honest. Once again, Democrats Vrs republicans, both can't seem to come to a compromise, so individual states are taking things into their own hands.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
In all fairness (I voted Trump), I seem to remember some states claiming they were going to leave Obama off without a proper birth certificate.
Now during that the left cried and screamed which united them as I’m sure the right will do.
PS-I could have swore he released them or Maddow had them, which showed he paid tons of money to the government. No??

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

It appears Maryland has already gone through with this.

The senators voted 28-17 on Monday, largely along party lines, to require presidential candidates to file copies of their tax returns with the state board of elections two months ahead of Election Day, so the filings can be made public. Failure to comply would result in the candidate’s removal from the state ballot that November.

Just a random Source I found while figuring out if infact a state can do this. And I guess it can.

State rights I guess.

Times ahead for the USA are looking rough, hasn't been this much division since basically Lincoln was elected to be honest. Once again, Democrats Vrs republicans, both can't seem to come to a compromise, so individual states are taking things into their own hands.

copies of their tax returns
Like what, the previous year? Years? How many?

+3 more 
link   
Wow the ptb sure are working to rig the election. States making their vote go towards whoever wins the popular vote with other states trying to make sure Trump isn't on their ballot so that their state won't contribute votes to Trump thus making it impossible for him to get the popular vote. Dirty dirty dirty.

+4 more 
link   

Bring on the God damned civil war! It's time for the narcissistic adult toddlers to get a damn spanking they won't forget!

Also think about how illegitimate the next presidential election will be! They have already telegraphed their intentions by broadcasting Trump won't allow it happen?

The Marxists are trying to overthrow our country/Constitution! I hope to hell Trump does stomp this insanity of a few zombie states trying to overthrow our electoral system! The pain these toddlers are bringing upon themselves will taste like honey giving them their dues...
edit on 12-4-2019 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
In all fairness (I voted Trump), I seem to remember some states claiming they were going to leave Obama off without a proper birth certificate.

The idea there was that the Constitution actually DOES have a natural born citizen requirement for that office, so the states that considered it felt they could win the SCOTUS test.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes.

The link I posted goes onto say:

Hasen acknowledges that the tax-return maneuver is more of a “gambit” than a surefire strategy. “The Supreme Court might, if faced with the issue, hold that state legislators cannot require tax returns of presidential candidates even given state legislatures’ much greater power over presidential elections,”

It probably will never happen, it would be one hell of a legal battle in the end.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What does it matter? It will go to the supreme court and even if they get lucky. Trump will just release his tax return. He’s been audited nine out of the last 10 years. The only reason he’s holding onto it is to P*** the Democrats off.

Anyone who voted for him in 2016 won’t care anyway .

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I would love for him to release his taxes just before the election. and have it turn out he did everything right. That would a hilarious coudegrah.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
What does it matter? It will go to the supreme court and even if they get lucky. Trump will just release his tax return. He’s been audited nine out of the last 10 years. The only reason he’s holding onto it is to P*** the Democrats off.

Anyone who voted for him in 2016 won’t care anyway .

Screw that! There is no law to provide a tax return. Let these Russian collusion parasites on our Republic die of malnutrition by not providing the sustenance to survive in their fascist utopia!

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Let's just keep any candidates that the state legislatures don't like off the ballots. That would be awesome for Ohio which is Republican controlled. We can keep all the Democrats off the ballots. I mean fair is fair?

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree with you. That’s why I said even if they got lucky in the supreme court .m

I’ve always thought Trump was holding his tax returns back for the right moment. In order to take the wind out of their sails anyway.

Strategy like that is pure Trump “ don’t do what they say, do what you want “.
edit on 12-4-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I would love for him to release his taxes just before the election. and have it turn out he did everything right. That would a hilarious coudegrah.

Agreed!

Only down side is for 2 years after we will hear non stop how it's faked or Russia edited his returns or some equally ridiculous crap.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

President is a federal position, not a State one

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join