It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were unsure about Alexa, you were right

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
You, MKULTRA eyes

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
You, MKULTRA eyes

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

theres a suprise, not their responsibility, but they have a responsibility to listen on behalf of Amazon, and you did not even give them permission to steal your privacy or in this potential case, you got your privacy stolen and possibly assaulted in your own home, hey gotta trust those companys to self regulate after all[b/]

Ah so the paying customer (average price £50) is now beta testing it for you, great excuse to justify that invasion of privacy then, as the service will improve

I mean Jeff Bozzo and all his riches can be trusted right.

It's unreal that some people still think laissez-faire capatilism would work, that these companies could somehow be trusted to self regulate?
Same as communism, fine in theory but in reality, with people self interest, greed and powerlust will always beat out environment, employee welfare, ethics, safety etc etc etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackIbanez

They do not need government regulation, that is for certain.

Competition aided by anti-trust monopoly killing laws ensures they are kept in line. A companies job is to make money, if a better competitor comes along the market itself will correct these issues

If you don't want them to have your private data, stop giving it away! Stop inviting them into your homes (through their hardware and software) and especially stop giving away valuable/precious information of all sorts through social media

If Americans were to unplug from goofy social media, a huge chunk of these problems would vanish.

in reality, with people self interest, greed and powerlust will always beat out environment, employee welfare, ethics, safety etc etc etc.

That is the job of a corporation. Self interest. Just as it is the job of a nation: self interest. Greed = profit = the purpose of a company. The company is beholden to its share holders, and its job is to make profit to pay a return on their investment.

The environment? Not worried about that. Bigger fish to fry. If it isn't profitable to operate here, they will move to China or Mexico or anywhere else with more lax "regulations."

Employee welfare? Again, if you don't like your job quit and go elsewhere. Employers pay their employees money in exchange for a service or work product, just as consumers pay corporations money in exchange for a service/product.

Ethics? Ethics are for lawyers and politicians. Companies ethics involve responsibility to make profit for their shareholders.

Safety? Again, nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head any making them go to work. Life is dangerous. Work is dangerous. Some work is more dangerous than others. Take public safety pro's for instance, very dangerous job with very little pay.

posted on Apr, 12 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
They also described hearing distressing clips such as a potential sexual assault. However, they were told by colleagues that it was not Amazon's job to intervene.

18 U.S. Code § 4. Misprision of felony
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Amazon might be in trouble.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Agreed - plus if they listen to mine it will bore them silly .. turn on and off various lights, low key music to go to sleep to timed for an hour, what time is it and what’s the weather and occasionally what is the tide at xyz .... oh and right now it’s playing beach boys music for when I go back to cleaning - after my coffee ... good stuff if they want a nap..

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Anyone who puts an open microphone in their home that is listening to you 24X7 gets what they deserve.

Absolute insanity.

Fred..

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It's totally insane to have Alexa in your house, a friend just got rid of it after he got it for Christmas. This thing is every hackers dream.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Many years ago I said: "Would you let a stranger into your living room, lie to you and try to sell you products you dont want?". I was speaking about television, and now we have this Alexa #.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Our phones listen to us already. What's the difference if there's one more thing doing it?

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: PBL666
Many years ago I said: "Would you let a stranger into your living room, lie to you and try to sell you products you dont want?". I was speaking about television, and now we have this Alexa #.

Frank Zappa said it best in "I am the Slime" (1973):

I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .
Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

I am the slime from your video
Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

edit on 4-14-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: Added quote

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown Wow! I don't know that I would want to go visit Scotland now. My grandmother was 100% she was hardworking smart and sweet. That Scottish lady yelling at the technology was very emotional, rude, and stupid. I hate spending time around anyone who swears. Exit is what I think. Maybe the Alexa should say we are going to go in time out mode for ten minutes until you, the human, can act with manners. This might really help certain people in society stop and consider how violent and rude they are. It's very unpleasant to witness it.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

edit on 14-4-2019 by NickK3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2019 by NickK3 because: Deleted duplicate post...

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackIbanez

It's unreal that some people still think laissez-faire capatilism would work, that these companies could somehow be trusted to self regulate?
Same as communism, fine in theory but in reality, with people self interest, greed and powerlust will always beat out environment, employee welfare, ethics, safety etc etc etc.

I think it's simple math,

1. How much do you think it's worth for a company to know what a household is considering buying or how they will vote etc.?

2. How much would the company be willing to sell the information for even if they swear they wouldn't do that?

If the answer to question 1 is larger than the answer to question 2... (and I think it is) well...
What do you think is going to happen?

edit on 14-4-2019 by NickK3 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Can't say it was ever something I was unsure of, in fact I was 100% sure.

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

give me joe's garage everytime over tv eye chewing gum parrot screen.

the voice of telefunken u47 hmmmmm!

f.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Love me some Zappa!, going to play it a little later...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

best video ever! I love it! thank you

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Its not just Alexa....its everything from phones to websites.

How many people click yes to user agreements?

They clearly show that you are giving them access to your phones microphone, camera, web history, contact's, photos.

You can create an app and ask users to provide these things if they want to use your app.

You will see a lot of interesting things, all being downloaded and saved.

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
We have Alexa everywhere at work but they are part of aour jobs and you know what they are on their own WI FI internal system. So I figure someone can listen in internally so mine is without battery most of the time unless I'm running a test.

We design connected stuff worldwide

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join